Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Dual Boot

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
October 29, 2004 9:36:47 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

I have discorved I have a windows 95 disc and so i thought just for a new
exprince I will put it on my sytem as well and heard you can use Dual boot
how do you do it though?

I have a Windows XP home Edtion

More about : dual boot

Anonymous
October 29, 2004 9:36:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Windows 95 is obsolete and attempting to dual-boot with
Windows XP would be a challenge since you would have
to reformat your drive and start from scratch. I would not
recommend installing Windows 95.

Multibooting with Windows XP: Introduction
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmor...

HOW TO: Create a Multiple-Boot System in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306559&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Jamie" wrote:

| I have discorved I have a windows 95 disc and so i thought just for a new
| exprince I will put it on my sytem as well and heard you can use Dual boot
| how do you do it though?
|
| I have a Windows XP home Edtion
Anonymous
October 29, 2004 9:36:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Microsoft now has an easy means for you to do this, but it is not a dual
boot. Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 allows you to run Win95 as a "machine
within the machine", or virtual pc. In other words, you can run Win95 in a
window on your XP Home desktop and do things in both systems at the same
time.

Virtual PC does not receive Microsoft support when run on XP Home, but it
runs on Home without problems. See the following link for details about
VPC:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx
You will need a Win95 boot floppy as well as the cd. If you do not have a
floppy to go with the cd, see:
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

How well you can do this depends on how much memory you have on your
computer. You can probably do this with 256MB, but more is helpful.

"Jamie" <jh.saunders@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
news:eyC98VdvEHA.3908@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>I have discorved I have a windows 95 disc and so i thought just for a new
> exprince I will put it on my sytem as well and heard you can use Dual boot
> how do you do it though?
>
> I have a Windows XP home Edtion
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
October 29, 2004 10:56:10 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

"Jamie" <jh.saunders@btopenworld.com> wrote:

>I have discorved I have a windows 95 disc and so i thought just for a new
>exprince I will put it on my sytem as well and heard you can use Dual boot
>how do you do it though?

See "How to Multiple Boot Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows NT,
Windows 95, Windows 98, and MS-DOS"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=217210).

--
(tm)
Anonymous
October 30, 2004 12:43:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

"Jamie" <jh.saunders@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
news:eyC98VdvEHA.3908@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>I have discorved I have a windows 95 disc and so i thought just for a new
> exprince I will put it on my sytem as well and heard you can use Dual boot
> how do you do it though?
>
> I have a Windows XP home Edtion

There's nothing wrong with experimenting and learning something new in the
process but really... Windows 95?? If you want to have a dual boot system
you should look into Linux.
Anonymous
October 30, 2004 6:22:50 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

The OP wants to use Win95, not Linux. In any case, MS Virtual PC 2004 would
allow him to do both if that's what he wanted to do. I have run over 500
linux distros on my pc by running them in VPC. But the OP isn't looking for
a value judgment on Win95, he is just curious about doing it. It is a
creative idea that he is entitled to try, but I would not do it in a dual
boot environment since a less restrictive method is available.

"jch" <JCH@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:cZLgd.5849$Om6.4548@bignews5.bellsouth.net...
> "Jamie" <jh.saunders@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> news:eyC98VdvEHA.3908@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>>I have discorved I have a windows 95 disc and so i thought just for a new
>> exprince I will put it on my sytem as well and heard you can use Dual
>> boot
>> how do you do it though?
>>
>> I have a Windows XP home Edtion
>
> There's nothing wrong with experimenting and learning something new in the
> process but really... Windows 95?? If you want to have a dual boot
> system you should look into Linux.
>
Anonymous
October 30, 2004 10:36:18 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

"Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
news:o cDk74rvEHA.3976@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> The OP wants to use Win95, not Linux. In any case, MS Virtual PC 2004
> would allow him to do both if that's what he wanted to do. I have run
> over 500 linux distros on my pc by running them in VPC. But the OP isn't
> looking for a value judgment on Win95, he is just curious about doing it.
> It is a creative idea that he is entitled to try, but I would not do it in
> a dual boot environment since a less restrictive method is available.

Well ah-dee-da. I'd agree but the OP wants to do this in a dual boot
situation and "is entitled to try." He wasn't looking for a "value
judgement" in his approach nor was he looking for a discussion on MS Virtual
PC 2004. !! Keep trying, and you'll find a Linux distro you like. :) 
Anonymous
October 31, 2004 12:15:33 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

My favorite is SuSE 9.1 Professional.

A lot of posters are not aware of Virtual PC, VMWare, or SVista or don't
realize that they almost completely remove the need for a dual boot system
or for keeping legacy hardware around.

In the poster's situation there is no need to reformat his hard drive, which
dual booting with Win95 will require due to the need to correctly install
the boot files in the first 2GB on the drive.

Dual boot systems can become unstable and you cannot operate multiple OS's
simultaneously. Also, the hardware restrictions from a legacy system can
inhibit upgrading a dual boot box. The ability to allocate memory for the
guest system means that the guest can run without awareness of ram greater
than 512MB.

My point was that the poster wants to know how to best run Win95 on his
machine, not whether he should run Win95 or Linux.

"jch" <JCH@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:WEUgd.23150$Tq1.4193@bignews1.bellsouth.net...
> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
> news:o cDk74rvEHA.3976@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> The OP wants to use Win95, not Linux. In any case, MS Virtual PC 2004
>> would allow him to do both if that's what he wanted to do. I have run
>> over 500 linux distros on my pc by running them in VPC. But the OP isn't
>> looking for a value judgment on Win95, he is just curious about doing it.
>> It is a creative idea that he is entitled to try, but I would not do it
>> in a dual boot environment since a less restrictive method is available.
>
> Well ah-dee-da. I'd agree but the OP wants to do this in a dual boot
> situation and "is entitled to try." He wasn't looking for a "value
> judgement" in his approach nor was he looking for a discussion on MS
> Virtual PC 2004. !! Keep trying, and you'll find a Linux distro you
> like. :) 
>
Anonymous
October 31, 2004 1:59:26 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

"Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
news:uEJ0B%23uvEHA.908@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> My favorite is SuSE 9.1 Professional.

Mine too at the moment though I have Fedora on my system too, I seldom boot
into it (Fedora) anymore.

> A lot of posters are not aware of Virtual PC, VMWare, or SVista or don't
> realize that they almost completely remove the need for a dual boot system
> or for keeping legacy hardware around.

Agreed. I was not totally aware of these applications either.

> In the poster's situation there is no need to reformat his hard drive,
> which dual booting with Win95 will require due to the need to correctly
> install the boot files in the first 2GB on the drive.
>
> Dual boot systems can become unstable and you cannot operate multiple OS's
> simultaneously. Also, the hardware restrictions from a legacy system can
> inhibit upgrading a dual boot box. The ability to allocate memory for the
> guest system means that the guest can run without awareness of ram greater
> than 512MB.
>
> My point was that the poster wants to know how to best run Win95 on his
> machine, not whether he should run Win95 or Linux.

My take was that OP simply wanted to experiment. A good thing to do but
there are better ways to spend your time than reviving outdated operating
systems. Still, I and perhaps others, got something useful out of this
thread and I know that I'll research VPC, VMW, and SV. Thanks.

>
> "jch" <JCH@nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:WEUgd.23150$Tq1.4193@bignews1.bellsouth.net...
>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
>> news:o cDk74rvEHA.3976@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>> The OP wants to use Win95, not Linux. In any case, MS Virtual PC 2004
>>> would allow him to do both if that's what he wanted to do. I have run
>>> over 500 linux distros on my pc by running them in VPC. But the OP
>>> isn't looking for a value judgment on Win95, he is just curious about
>>> doing it. It is a creative idea that he is entitled to try, but I would
>>> not do it in a dual boot environment since a less restrictive method is
>>> available.
>>
>> Well ah-dee-da. I'd agree but the OP wants to do this in a dual boot
>> situation and "is entitled to try." He wasn't looking for a "value
>> judgement" in his approach nor was he looking for a discussion on MS
>> Virtual PC 2004. !! Keep trying, and you'll find a Linux distro you
>> like. :) 
>>
>
>
Anonymous
October 31, 2004 1:59:27 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

You're welcome. The fun part of Virtual PC is that it invites
experimentation because backing out is completely painless.

By the way, a lot of enterprises have legacy programs written in house for
Win95, Win98, and NT4 that prevents them from upgrading to XP on their
desktops or Server 2003 on their servers. Virtual PC and Virtual Server
solve this and allow them to do things like retire old boxes dedicated to
NT4 Server.

"jch" <JCH@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:%pZgd.23234$Tq1.7955@bignews1.bellsouth.net...
> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
> news:uEJ0B%23uvEHA.908@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>> My favorite is SuSE 9.1 Professional.
>
> Mine too at the moment though I have Fedora on my system too, I seldom
> boot into it (Fedora) anymore.
>
>> A lot of posters are not aware of Virtual PC, VMWare, or SVista or don't
>> realize that they almost completely remove the need for a dual boot
>> system or for keeping legacy hardware around.
>
> Agreed. I was not totally aware of these applications either.
>
>> In the poster's situation there is no need to reformat his hard drive,
>> which dual booting with Win95 will require due to the need to correctly
>> install the boot files in the first 2GB on the drive.
>>
>> Dual boot systems can become unstable and you cannot operate multiple
>> OS's simultaneously. Also, the hardware restrictions from a legacy
>> system can inhibit upgrading a dual boot box. The ability to allocate
>> memory for the guest system means that the guest can run without
>> awareness of ram greater than 512MB.
>>
>> My point was that the poster wants to know how to best run Win95 on his
>> machine, not whether he should run Win95 or Linux.
>
> My take was that OP simply wanted to experiment. A good thing to do but
> there are better ways to spend your time than reviving outdated operating
> systems. Still, I and perhaps others, got something useful out of this
> thread and I know that I'll research VPC, VMW, and SV. Thanks.
>
>>
>> "jch" <JCH@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> news:WEUgd.23150$Tq1.4193@bignews1.bellsouth.net...
>>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> news:o cDk74rvEHA.3976@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>>> The OP wants to use Win95, not Linux. In any case, MS Virtual PC 2004
>>>> would allow him to do both if that's what he wanted to do. I have run
>>>> over 500 linux distros on my pc by running them in VPC. But the OP
>>>> isn't looking for a value judgment on Win95, he is just curious about
>>>> doing it. It is a creative idea that he is entitled to try, but I would
>>>> not do it in a dual boot environment since a less restrictive method is
>>>> available.
>>>
>>> Well ah-dee-da. I'd agree but the OP wants to do this in a dual boot
>>> situation and "is entitled to try." He wasn't looking for a "value
>>> judgement" in his approach nor was he looking for a discussion on MS
>>> Virtual PC 2004. !! Keep trying, and you'll find a Linux distro you
>>> like. :) 
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
!