Dual Boot

I have discorved I have a windows 95 disc and so i thought just for a new
exprince I will put it on my sytem as well and heard you can use Dual boot
how do you do it though?

I have a Windows XP home Edtion
9 answers Last reply
More about dual boot

    Windows 95 is obsolete and attempting to dual-boot with
    Windows XP would be a challenge since you would have
    to reformat your drive and start from scratch. I would not
    recommend installing Windows 95.

    Multibooting with Windows XP: Introduction
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/multiboot.mspx

    HOW TO: Create a Multiple-Boot System in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306559&Product=winxp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Jamie" wrote:

    | I have discorved I have a windows 95 disc and so i thought just for a new
    | exprince I will put it on my sytem as well and heard you can use Dual boot
    | how do you do it though?
    |
    | I have a Windows XP home Edtion

    Microsoft now has an easy means for you to do this, but it is not a dual
    boot. Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 allows you to run Win95 as a "machine
    within the machine", or virtual pc. In other words, you can run Win95 in a
    window on your XP Home desktop and do things in both systems at the same
    time.

    Virtual PC does not receive Microsoft support when run on XP Home, but it
    runs on Home without problems. See the following link for details about
    VPC:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx
    You will need a Win95 boot floppy as well as the cd. If you do not have a
    floppy to go with the cd, see:
    http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

    How well you can do this depends on how much memory you have on your
    computer. You can probably do this with 256MB, but more is helpful.

    "Jamie" <jh.saunders@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    >I have discorved I have a windows 95 disc and so i thought just for a new
    > exprince I will put it on my sytem as well and heard you can use Dual boot
    > how do you do it though?
    >
    > I have a Windows XP home Edtion

    "Jamie" <jh.saunders@btopenworld.com> wrote:

    >I have discorved I have a windows 95 disc and so i thought just for a new
    >exprince I will put it on my sytem as well and heard you can use Dual boot
    >how do you do it though?

    See "How to Multiple Boot Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows NT,
    Windows 95, Windows 98, and MS-DOS"
    (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=217210).

    --
    (tm)

    "Jamie" <jh.saunders@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    >I have discorved I have a windows 95 disc and so i thought just for a new
    > exprince I will put it on my sytem as well and heard you can use Dual boot
    > how do you do it though?
    >
    > I have a Windows XP home Edtion

    There's nothing wrong with experimenting and learning something new in the
    process but really... Windows 95?? If you want to have a dual boot system
    you should look into Linux.

    The OP wants to use Win95, not Linux. In any case, MS Virtual PC 2004 would
    allow him to do both if that's what he wanted to do. I have run over 500
    linux distros on my pc by running them in VPC. But the OP isn't looking for
    a value judgment on Win95, he is just curious about doing it. It is a
    creative idea that he is entitled to try, but I would not do it in a dual
    boot environment since a less restrictive method is available.

    > The OP wants to use Win95, not Linux. In any case, MS Virtual PC 2004
    > would allow him to do both if that's what he wanted to do. I have run
    > over 500 linux distros on my pc by running them in VPC. But the OP isn't
    > looking for a value judgment on Win95, he is just curious about doing it.
    > It is a creative idea that he is entitled to try, but I would not do it in
    > a dual boot environment since a less restrictive method is available.

    Well ah-dee-da. I'd agree but the OP wants to do this in a dual boot
    situation and "is entitled to try." He wasn't looking for a "value
    judgement" in his approach nor was he looking for a discussion on MS Virtual
    PC 2004. !! Keep trying, and you'll find a Linux distro you like. :)

    My favorite is SuSE 9.1 Professional.

    A lot of posters are not aware of Virtual PC, VMWare, or SVista or don't
    realize that they almost completely remove the need for a dual boot system
    or for keeping legacy hardware around.

    In the poster's situation there is no need to reformat his hard drive, which
    dual booting with Win95 will require due to the need to correctly install
    the boot files in the first 2GB on the drive.

    Dual boot systems can become unstable and you cannot operate multiple OS's
    simultaneously. Also, the hardware restrictions from a legacy system can
    inhibit upgrading a dual boot box. The ability to allocate memory for the
    guest system means that the guest can run without awareness of ram greater
    than 512MB.

    My point was that the poster wants to know how to best run Win95 on his
    machine, not whether he should run Win95 or Linux.

    > My favorite is SuSE 9.1 Professional.

    Mine too at the moment though I have Fedora on my system too, I seldom boot
    into it (Fedora) anymore.

    > A lot of posters are not aware of Virtual PC, VMWare, or SVista or don't
    > realize that they almost completely remove the need for a dual boot system
    > or for keeping legacy hardware around.

    Agreed. I was not totally aware of these applications either.

    > In the poster's situation there is no need to reformat his hard drive,
    > which dual booting with Win95 will require due to the need to correctly
    > install the boot files in the first 2GB on the drive.
    >
    > Dual boot systems can become unstable and you cannot operate multiple OS's
    > simultaneously. Also, the hardware restrictions from a legacy system can
    > inhibit upgrading a dual boot box. The ability to allocate memory for the
    > guest system means that the guest can run without awareness of ram greater
    > than 512MB.
    >
    > My point was that the poster wants to know how to best run Win95 on his
    > machine, not whether he should run Win95 or Linux.

    My take was that OP simply wanted to experiment. A good thing to do but
    there are better ways to spend your time than reviving outdated operating
    systems. Still, I and perhaps others, got something useful out of this
    thread and I know that I'll research VPC, VMW, and SV. Thanks.

    > "jch" <JCH@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
    >>> The OP wants to use Win95, not Linux. In any case, MS Virtual PC 2004
    >>> would allow him to do both if that's what he wanted to do. I have run
    >>> over 500 linux distros on my pc by running them in VPC. But the OP
    >>> isn't looking for a value judgment on Win95, he is just curious about
    >>> doing it. It is a creative idea that he is entitled to try, but I would
    >>> not do it in a dual boot environment since a less restrictive method is
    >>> available.
    >>
    >> Well ah-dee-da. I'd agree but the OP wants to do this in a dual boot
    >> situation and "is entitled to try." He wasn't looking for a "value
    >> judgement" in his approach nor was he looking for a discussion on MS
    >> Virtual PC 2004. !! Keep trying, and you'll find a Linux distro you
    >> like. :)

    You're welcome. The fun part of Virtual PC is that it invites
    experimentation because backing out is completely painless.

    By the way, a lot of enterprises have legacy programs written in house for
    Win95, Win98, and NT4 that prevents them from upgrading to XP on their
    desktops or Server 2003 on their servers. Virtual PC and Virtual Server
    solve this and allow them to do things like retire old boxes dedicated to
    NT4 Server.

    >> My favorite is SuSE 9.1 Professional.
    >
    > Mine too at the moment though I have Fedora on my system too, I seldom
    > boot into it (Fedora) anymore.
    >
    >> A lot of posters are not aware of Virtual PC, VMWare, or SVista or don't
    >> realize that they almost completely remove the need for a dual boot
    >> system or for keeping legacy hardware around.
    >
    > Agreed. I was not totally aware of these applications either.
    >
    >> In the poster's situation there is no need to reformat his hard drive,
    >> which dual booting with Win95 will require due to the need to correctly
    >> install the boot files in the first 2GB on the drive.
    >>
    >> Dual boot systems can become unstable and you cannot operate multiple
    >> OS's simultaneously. Also, the hardware restrictions from a legacy
    >> system can inhibit upgrading a dual boot box. The ability to allocate
    >> memory for the guest system means that the guest can run without
    >> awareness of ram greater than 512MB.
    >>
    >> My point was that the poster wants to know how to best run Win95 on his
    >> machine, not whether he should run Win95 or Linux.
    >
    > My take was that OP simply wanted to experiment. A good thing to do but
    > there are better ways to spend your time than reviving outdated operating
    > systems. Still, I and perhaps others, got something useful out of this
    > thread and I know that I'll research VPC, VMW, and SV. Thanks.
    >

    >> "jch" <JCH@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Well ah-dee-da. I'd agree but the OP wants to do this in a dual boot
    >>> situation and "is entitled to try." He wasn't looking for a "value
    >>> judgement" in his approach nor was he looking for a discussion on MS
    >>> Virtual PC 2004. !! Keep trying, and you'll find a Linux distro you
    >>> like. :)

Dual Boot Microsoft Windows XP