Jhill1

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
basically i dont know what im doing, but i want to overclock my cpu to a good stable speed, i looked at the guide, but realized that it applies to socket 939, and i dont know whats different between that and AM2

heres my stats:
AM2 X2 3800+
ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe
2GB XMS DDR2 675
TruePower 550W

all and any help is greatly appreciated

godman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
there is little or no difference just your using ddr2 not ddr1 ....
first of all have you overclocked before? judging by your post you havent overclocked before... :?

A

if you havent try need to read the guide again and see if you make any sense of how to get to the bios, familiarise your self with what different words in it mea (for example HTT=hypertransport, the bus speed) etc....
OH AND WHAT COOLING HAVE YOU GOT FOR THE CPU?

B
if you have then its basicly the same as amd sckt 939, raise the bus frequency from the defult 200 to 205, go into windows , check, go into bios, raise another 5 mhz......
up to the point where you cant go anyhigher.... raise the voltage a little (be careful here) etc......

Jhill1

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
i know all of the terms, and BIOS i just didnt know what to change when you start to go higher and higher

EDIT: everytime i go over 2.2 it becomes unstable, but i think its because of my cooler... my cpu idles at 38-45C not oced so im prob gonna buy a zalman and some as5

godman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
it is a good idea to get a better cooler, yes but the amd stock cooler should do well as i think people have gotten to 2.4 ghz with it but then its best to be safe rather than have fried cpu and chips for lunch :lol: