second thoughts on morrowind

I just finished the game after about 3 months straight (a couple of
restarts in there) and I can't help feeling empty. Sure I have 2 of
everything and the world is a bit less populous, but the world itself
doesn't seem that different. Everyone is all happy to great me as the
nevarine and what not, but I don't feel that my character really grew.
I didn't really make any friends along the way. The cat woman who
became my mistress never had anything interesting to say after we
shacked up (ok, that part is realistic). In the end, I started to feel
like a powergamer and not a roleplayer. It devolved into one big math
problem. It ended up sending me right back to Baldur's Gate II to see
my buddy Minsc and try my hand at wooing Viconia.
7 answers Last reply
More about second thoughts morrowind

    I hear you. It's like Bethesda ran out of steam near the end. They left a
    lot of bugs and typos in the game and never bothered to fix them. I mean you
    can cast bound helm and the actual helmet is called "Bound_Helm"... yikes.
    The silt strider caravaner of Balmora says "Welcome to Morrrowind." Is he
    drunk? Captain Gravius says, "The guards said you were acting a little
    strange when you they brought you in from the ship." LOL.

    >I just finished the game after about 3 months straight (a couple of
    > restarts in there) and I can't help feeling empty. Sure I have 2 of
    > everything and the world is a bit less populous, but the world itself
    > doesn't seem that different. Everyone is all happy to great me as the
    > nevarine and what not, but I don't feel that my character really grew.
    > I didn't really make any friends along the way. The cat woman who
    > became my mistress never had anything interesting to say after we
    > shacked up (ok, that part is realistic). In the end, I started to feel
    > like a powergamer and not a roleplayer. It devolved into one big math
    > problem. It ended up sending me right back to Baldur's Gate II to see
    > my buddy Minsc and try my hand at wooing Viconia.

    On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 21:48:10 GMT, "Simmie Simmerson"
    <radiohead3@earthlink.net> wrote:

    >I hear you. It's like Bethesda ran out of steam near the end. They left a
    >lot of bugs and typos in the game and never bothered to fix them. I mean you
    >can cast bound helm and the actual helmet is called "Bound_Helm"... yikes.
    >The silt strider caravaner of Balmora says "Welcome to Morrrowind." Is he
    >drunk? Captain Gravius says, "The guards said you were acting a little
    >strange when you they brought you in from the ship." LOL.
    >
    >>I just finished the game after about 3 months straight (a couple of
    >> restarts in there) and I can't help feeling empty. Sure I have 2 of
    >> everything and the world is a bit less populous, but the world itself
    >> doesn't seem that different. Everyone is all happy to great me as the
    >> nevarine and what not, but I don't feel that my character really grew.
    >> I didn't really make any friends along the way. The cat woman who
    >> became my mistress never had anything interesting to say after we
    >> shacked up (ok, that part is realistic). In the end, I started to feel
    >> like a powergamer and not a roleplayer. It devolved into one big math
    >> problem. It ended up sending me right back to Baldur's Gate II to see
    >> my buddy Minsc and try my hand at wooing Viconia.

    I think they were a bit overwhelmed with Morrowind and really didn't
    know where to take it.

    They could get away with this in Daggerfall as so much was randomly
    generated, but when they actually had to sit down and handcraft the
    quests and long dialogue trees as well as deal with the improved
    graphics some things got overlooked. I wouldn't doubt they're wanting
    to get an Xbox version out as soon as possible with causing some of
    the mixups.

    I also wonder if they initially planned to do the entire province of
    Morrowind, but decided to scale it back to the one island to shorten
    the development time. That would have been cool to have all of
    Vlardenfell as a sort of climax while most of the building up of your
    character took place on the Morrowind mainland.

    How long did they take to develop Daggerfall? I think Morrowind only
    took 3 or 4 years.

    Before I ever played morrowind i was a diablo nut. after I played diablo 1 i
    was hooked. i beat it like 12 times then diablo 2 came out and it was even
    better. then I played d2 online and it was a whole new world. after awile it
    got boring. then I found morrowind for X-box. it was better than diablo 2 in
    every way. I sold the x-box and bought morrowind for the computer. after
    about 10 minuets of playing I found out how to make a perfect charecter
    through the console. It kind of killed the game. mods made it fun for awile
    but now its not the same. I guess what im trying to say is that like every
    computer game, it gets boaring. Im just waiting on the next best game.
    oblivion. I dont think ill cheat though. it ruined morrowind. I love the
    game, the depth it goes into and the many many quests made it the best game
    to date for me. thats my 2 cents.

    It's true, the characters are not very responsive. Try some of Emma's mods
    like Imperial Boyfriend and Lost Heir. Lost Heir is a lot fun and the NPC's
    are very talented. They have no trouble keeping up and they respond to
    what's going on.
    "mathilda" <smart_aleck72@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I just finished the game after about 3 months straight (a couple of
    > restarts in there) and I can't help feeling empty. Sure I have 2 of
    > everything and the world is a bit less populous, but the world itself
    > doesn't seem that different. Everyone is all happy to great me as the
    > nevarine and what not, but I don't feel that my character really grew.
    > I didn't really make any friends along the way. The cat woman who
    > became my mistress never had anything interesting to say after we
    > shacked up (ok, that part is realistic). In the end, I started to feel
    > like a powergamer and not a roleplayer. It devolved into one big math
    > problem. It ended up sending me right back to Baldur's Gate II to see
    > my buddy Minsc and try my hand at wooing Viconia.

    I've always avoided tag-along NPC mods because it is even more
    frustrating to try to keep them alive than it is waiting for them and
    trying to get them "unstuck". Do Emma's mods fix the "easily killed"
    piece?

    The companions in Lost Heir aren't just tagalongs. They are very high level
    and stronger than my level 39 Breton Battlemage NEVARINE. They have no
    trouble keeping up, even at a run, and they can dance too. eAnn"

    On 22 Jun 2005 08:45:11 -0700, "DeAnn" <diwan@mitre.org> wrote:

    >I've always avoided tag-along NPC mods because it is even more
    >frustrating to try to keep them alive than it is waiting for them and
    >trying to get them "unstuck". Do Emma's mods fix the "easily killed"
    >piece?

    I seldom use companions either, however when I do I've found that
    they're Much more useful and more likely to survive IF they ONLY Have
    weapons like Bows, Crossbows, and Throwing weapons. That helps keep
    them at a distance AND from Constantly getting between my character
    and his/her attackers (an Often Fatal mistake), though it does nothing
    to keep them from getting stuck. Since some foes are not affected by
    normal weapons, it's a good idea to equip your companions with magic
    ammunition IF your character can afford it. If you've installed the
    Official Fletcher (located in Vivec) mod, magic ammunition is
    reasonably priced there...

    That's my 2¢,

    FTA

    "In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

    -Martin Luther King Jr.

Games Video Games Product