Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

second thoughts on morrowind

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 3:51:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.morrowind (More info?)

I just finished the game after about 3 months straight (a couple of
restarts in there) and I can't help feeling empty. Sure I have 2 of
everything and the world is a bit less populous, but the world itself
doesn't seem that different. Everyone is all happy to great me as the
nevarine and what not, but I don't feel that my character really grew.
I didn't really make any friends along the way. The cat woman who
became my mistress never had anything interesting to say after we
shacked up (ok, that part is realistic). In the end, I started to feel
like a powergamer and not a roleplayer. It devolved into one big math
problem. It ended up sending me right back to Baldur's Gate II to see
my buddy Minsc and try my hand at wooing Viconia.

More about : thoughts morrowind

Anonymous
June 21, 2005 1:48:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.morrowind (More info?)

I hear you. It's like Bethesda ran out of steam near the end. They left a
lot of bugs and typos in the game and never bothered to fix them. I mean you
can cast bound helm and the actual helmet is called "Bound_Helm"... yikes.
The silt strider caravaner of Balmora says "Welcome to Morrrowind." Is he
drunk? Captain Gravius says, "The guards said you were acting a little
strange when you they brought you in from the ship." LOL.

>I just finished the game after about 3 months straight (a couple of
> restarts in there) and I can't help feeling empty. Sure I have 2 of
> everything and the world is a bit less populous, but the world itself
> doesn't seem that different. Everyone is all happy to great me as the
> nevarine and what not, but I don't feel that my character really grew.
> I didn't really make any friends along the way. The cat woman who
> became my mistress never had anything interesting to say after we
> shacked up (ok, that part is realistic). In the end, I started to feel
> like a powergamer and not a roleplayer. It devolved into one big math
> problem. It ended up sending me right back to Baldur's Gate II to see
> my buddy Minsc and try my hand at wooing Viconia.
>
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 1:48:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.morrowind (More info?)

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 21:48:10 GMT, "Simmie Simmerson"
<radiohead3@earthlink.net> wrote:

>I hear you. It's like Bethesda ran out of steam near the end. They left a
>lot of bugs and typos in the game and never bothered to fix them. I mean you
>can cast bound helm and the actual helmet is called "Bound_Helm"... yikes.
>The silt strider caravaner of Balmora says "Welcome to Morrrowind." Is he
>drunk? Captain Gravius says, "The guards said you were acting a little
>strange when you they brought you in from the ship." LOL.
>
>>I just finished the game after about 3 months straight (a couple of
>> restarts in there) and I can't help feeling empty. Sure I have 2 of
>> everything and the world is a bit less populous, but the world itself
>> doesn't seem that different. Everyone is all happy to great me as the
>> nevarine and what not, but I don't feel that my character really grew.
>> I didn't really make any friends along the way. The cat woman who
>> became my mistress never had anything interesting to say after we
>> shacked up (ok, that part is realistic). In the end, I started to feel
>> like a powergamer and not a roleplayer. It devolved into one big math
>> problem. It ended up sending me right back to Baldur's Gate II to see
>> my buddy Minsc and try my hand at wooing Viconia.
>>
>
I think they were a bit overwhelmed with Morrowind and really didn't
know where to take it.

They could get away with this in Daggerfall as so much was randomly
generated, but when they actually had to sit down and handcraft the
quests and long dialogue trees as well as deal with the improved
graphics some things got overlooked. I wouldn't doubt they're wanting
to get an Xbox version out as soon as possible with causing some of
the mixups.

I also wonder if they initially planned to do the entire province of
Morrowind, but decided to scale it back to the one island to shorten
the development time. That would have been cool to have all of
Vlardenfell as a sort of climax while most of the building up of your
character took place on the Morrowind mainland.

How long did they take to develop Daggerfall? I think Morrowind only
took 3 or 4 years.
Related resources
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 12:23:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.morrowind (More info?)

Before I ever played morrowind i was a diablo nut. after I played diablo 1 i
was hooked. i beat it like 12 times then diablo 2 came out and it was even
better. then I played d2 online and it was a whole new world. after awile it
got boring. then I found morrowind for X-box. it was better than diablo 2 in
every way. I sold the x-box and bought morrowind for the computer. after
about 10 minuets of playing I found out how to make a perfect charecter
through the console. It kind of killed the game. mods made it fun for awile
but now its not the same. I guess what im trying to say is that like every
computer game, it gets boaring. Im just waiting on the next best game.
oblivion. I dont think ill cheat though. it ruined morrowind. I love the
game, the depth it goes into and the many many quests made it the best game
to date for me. thats my 2 cents.
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 7:03:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.morrowind (More info?)

It's true, the characters are not very responsive. Try some of Emma's mods
like Imperial Boyfriend and Lost Heir. Lost Heir is a lot fun and the NPC's
are very talented. They have no trouble keeping up and they respond to
what's going on.
"mathilda" <smart_aleck72@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1119293481.365746.268620@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>I just finished the game after about 3 months straight (a couple of
> restarts in there) and I can't help feeling empty. Sure I have 2 of
> everything and the world is a bit less populous, but the world itself
> doesn't seem that different. Everyone is all happy to great me as the
> nevarine and what not, but I don't feel that my character really grew.
> I didn't really make any friends along the way. The cat woman who
> became my mistress never had anything interesting to say after we
> shacked up (ok, that part is realistic). In the end, I started to feel
> like a powergamer and not a roleplayer. It devolved into one big math
> problem. It ended up sending me right back to Baldur's Gate II to see
> my buddy Minsc and try my hand at wooing Viconia.
>
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 12:45:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.morrowind (More info?)

I've always avoided tag-along NPC mods because it is even more
frustrating to try to keep them alive than it is waiting for them and
trying to get them "unstuck". Do Emma's mods fix the "easily killed"
piece?
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 7:59:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.morrowind (More info?)

The companions in Lost Heir aren't just tagalongs. They are very high level
and stronger than my level 39 Breton Battlemage NEVARINE. They have no
trouble keeping up, even at a run, and they can dance too. eAnn"
<diwan@mitre.org> wrote in message
news:1119455111.321453.125920@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> I've always avoided tag-along NPC mods because it is even more
> frustrating to try to keep them alive than it is waiting for them and
> trying to get them "unstuck". Do Emma's mods fix the "easily killed"
> piece?
>
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 5:21:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.morrowind (More info?)

On 22 Jun 2005 08:45:11 -0700, "DeAnn" <diwan@mitre.org> wrote:

>I've always avoided tag-along NPC mods because it is even more
>frustrating to try to keep them alive than it is waiting for them and
>trying to get them "unstuck". Do Emma's mods fix the "easily killed"
>piece?

I seldom use companions either, however when I do I've found that
they're Much more useful and more likely to survive IF they ONLY Have
weapons like Bows, Crossbows, and Throwing weapons. That helps keep
them at a distance AND from Constantly getting between my character
and his/her attackers (an Often Fatal mistake), though it does nothing
to keep them from getting stuck. Since some foes are not affected by
normal weapons, it's a good idea to equip your companions with magic
ammunition IF your character can afford it. If you've installed the
Official Fletcher (located in Vivec) mod, magic ammunition is
reasonably priced there...


That's my 2ยข,

FTA


"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

-Martin Luther King Jr.
!