Media Access protocol on IEEE 802.3 and Ethernet ?

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet,comp.org.ieee (More info?)

What Media Access Control protocol does Ethernet and IEE 802.e use ?

CSMA persistent ? CSMA/CD ? CSMA non persistent ? CSMA / CA ?

And IEEE 802.11 uses CSMA / CA , right ?

Tito

In article <30RAd.6616$dr.3157@news.ono.com>, Tito <a@a.com> wrote:
:What Media Access Control protocol does Ethernet and IEE 802.e use ?

:CSMA persistent ? CSMA/CD ? CSMA non persistent ? CSMA / CA ?

:And IEEE 802.11 uses CSMA / CA , right ?

You can read all the gory details yourself on IEEE's web site.

http://standards.ieee.org/getieee802/

Or for a summary, see

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ito_doc/ethernet.htm
--
And the wind keeps blowing the angel / Backwards into the future /
And this wind, this wind / Is called / Progress.

Tito <a@a.com> writes:

>What Media Access Control protocol does Ethernet and IEE 802.e use ?

>CSMA persistent ? CSMA/CD ? CSMA non persistent ? CSMA / CA ?

>And IEEE 802.11 uses CSMA / CA , right ?

Nowadays, as the saying goes: no CS, no MA, and no CD.

What is 'CA' supposed to mean?

Apart from that, the questions are ill-posed, as none of them cover
material differences between "802.3" and "Ethernet" - both of these
largely overlapping topical areas encompass the same set of various
access methods, as far as I know.

For all practical purposes, "802.3" and "Ethernet" are used as synonyms.

As usual, it is not really possible to guess the _correct_ answers to your
homework problem set, because we don't know in which way the material has
been covered in the course you are taking. In this case, we do not know
what exact meaning "Ethernet" could have had in your course. Can you
clarify for us?

best regards
Patrick

Tito wrote:

> What Media Access Control protocol does Ethernet and IEE 802.e use ?
>
> CSMA persistent ? CSMA/CD ? CSMA non persistent ? CSMA / CA ?
>
> And IEEE 802.11 uses CSMA / CA , right ?
>
> Tito

Why do I smell homework questions?

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet,comp.org.ieee (More info?)

In article <30RAd.6616$dr.3157@news.ono.com>, Tito <a@a.com> wrote:

> What Media Access Control protocol does Ethernet and IEE 802.e use ?

I assume you mean 802.3, not 802.e (the keys are adjacent on a qwerty
keyboard).

> CSMA persistent ? CSMA/CD ? CSMA non persistent ? CSMA / CA ?

Ethernet/802.3 uses 1-persistent CSMA, with collision detect (in
half-duplex mode).

--
Rich Seifert Networks and Communications Consulting
21885 Bear Creek Way

Send replies to: usenet at richseifert dot com

Patrick Schaaf wrote:

> What is 'CA' supposed to mean?

Collision Avoidance, ala Apple's LocalTalk.

NM

Walter Roberson escribió:
> In article <30RAd.6616$dr.3157@news.ono.com>, Tito <a@a.com> wrote:
> :What Media Access Control protocol does Ethernet and IEE 802.e use ?
>
> :CSMA persistent ? CSMA/CD ? CSMA non persistent ? CSMA / CA ?
>
> :And IEEE 802.11 uses CSMA / CA , right ?
>
> You can read all the gory details yourself on IEEE's web site.
>
> http://standards.ieee.org/getieee802/
>
> Or for a summary, see
>
> http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ito_doc/ethernet.htm

yes, I have IEEE 802.3 standard, but dont find exact protocol. I have
read in some books that it uses CSMA/CD 1 persistent.

James Knott escribió:
> Tito wrote:
>

>>What Media Access Control protocol does Ethernet and IEE 802.e use ?
>>
>>CSMA persistent ? CSMA/CD ? CSMA non persistent ? CSMA / CA ?
>>
>>And IEEE 802.11 uses CSMA / CA , right ?
>>
>>Tito
>

> Why do I smell homework questions?

For your information, it is not homework questions.
I like to study computer networks, and Im reading some books. Some of
these books tells 802.3 uses CSMA/CD 1 persistent , but Im not sure.

Patrick Schaaf escribió:
> Tito <a@a.com> writes:
>

>>What Media Access Control protocol does Ethernet and IEE 802.e use ?
>

>>CSMA persistent ? CSMA/CD ? CSMA non persistent ? CSMA / CA ?
>

>>And IEEE 802.11 uses CSMA / CA , right ?
>

> Nowadays, as the saying goes: no CS, no MA, and no CD.
>
> What is 'CA' supposed to mean?
>
> Apart from that, the questions are ill-posed, as none of them cover
> material differences between "802.3" and "Ethernet" - both of these
> largely overlapping topical areas encompass the same set of various
> access methods, as far as I know.
>
> For all practical purposes, "802.3" and "Ethernet" are used as synonyms.
>
> As usual, it is not really possible to guess the _correct_ answers to your
> homework problem set, because we don't know in which way the material has
> been covered in the course you are taking. In this case, we do not know
> what exact meaning "Ethernet" could have had in your course. Can you
> clarify for us?
>
> best regards
> Patrick
CSMA/CA is "Collision avoidance" used by 802.11 networks

TRENDING THREADS