Sign in with
Your question

Wood grained cases...Where to get them?

Last response: in Components
August 28, 2006 10:39:31 PM

I've been trying to buy some Case Arts cases for almost 2 years now, but the only US reseller(Directron) has been out of them every time I try to order. I was looking at the Cherry Matrix or the Red Natural Poplar Dragon. Is Case Arts still in business or were they a shell company of Directron all along? Has anyone seen any other decent quality cases with wood graining on them? I would appreciate a heads-up from someone that can point me in the right direction. Thanks. scooter06790@yahoo.com

More about : wood grained cases

August 28, 2006 11:06:20 PM

Quote:

I've been trying to buy some Case Arts cases for almost 2 years now, but the only US reseller(Directron) has been out of them every time I try to order. I was looking at the Cherry Matrix or the Red Natural Poplar Dragon. Is Case Arts still in business or were they a shell company of Directron all along? Has anyone seen any other decent quality cases with wood graining on them? I would appreciate a heads-up from someone that can point me in the right direction. Thanks. scooter06790@yahoo.com

Apparently the company likes to put pictures up, but selling one of the things in the US is next to impossible. 8O

http://www.casearts.com/
August 28, 2006 11:28:52 PM

I am a cabinet maker and can Outfit most case designs with real hardwood stained and laquered to a glass like finish. I am actually making one this weekend with Red oak and a natural finish no stain. I find average Mid tower cases on the curb all the time in my city so the costs are lower for me to customize them. I can get pics of this finished case next week if your interested. But its a one at a time custom per person basis. as my main job eats away 6-7 days a week of my time.

William
Related resources
August 28, 2006 11:47:10 PM

Quote:
I am a cabinet maker and can Outfit most case designs with real hardwood stained and laquered to a glass like finish. I am actually making one this weekend with Red oak and a natural finish no stain. I find average Mid tower cases on the curb all the time in my city so the costs are lower for me to customize them. I can get pics of this finished case next week if your interested. But its a one at a time custom per person basis. as my main job eats away 6-7 days a week of my time.

William

Absolutely. Please post pics. You mean you find computer cases on the street and refinish them? :D  Any problem with heat when you work with the wood on one of your cases? yeah, post what you have. Interesting.
August 29, 2006 12:07:33 AM

Heat is no different then the original side panels which i still use because they slide-lock into place on most. Only time I dont use then is when I am putting in a side window . I also pay attn to what cases I get as I want regular ATX style with front and rear fan mountings. Although its nothing to cut a 120mm hole in the top to bring air down into the case from the top and a fan in the back to pull the air out.
August 29, 2006 12:15:47 AM

Quote:
Heat is no different then the original side panels which i still use because they slide-lock into place on most. Only time I dont use then is when I am putting in a side window . I also pay attn to what cases I get as I want regular ATX style with front and rear fan mountings. Although its nothing to cut a 120mm hole in the top to bring air down into the case from the top and a fan in the back to pull the air out.

Recently I thought about trying to cut a hole in the top of my case for a 80mm fan. Instead, I bought a 80mm to 120mm fan adapter and put a 120mm exhaust fan in. Hard to imagine, but that one 120mm fan lowered my SLI 7800Gt's 10c. What is a good procedure for cutting out a fan hole in the top of the case? Do you use screws to hold the wood onto the front panel?
August 29, 2006 12:39:34 AM

Fine tooth jigsaw blades =) make sure you take the guts out and be sure to really clean out all the metal filings as you know what shorts can do and use masking tape on both sides of the area you are cutting out (limits the amount of filings that fall into the case). also make sure to file the burrs off as they are very sharp otherwise. and yeah the front panel uses screws just like the original plastic fronts same mounting holes as well. no need to make things more complicated but I am working on using Blum 120deg concealed hinges on this new one for the side panel. Also gonna use soft-touch catches for keeping the case closed. This one I am gonna custom cut a CPU port in the side panel to duct cool air directly to the CPU HS/F. My personal case is a Powmax Demon in Black I cant see a reason to mod it to wood lol, looks good the way it is. This case is for the wifes A64 3200+ system she hates the bland beige case lol.
August 29, 2006 12:48:48 AM

If you have LOTS of money to spend on a case, DangerDen builds solid wood cases. Totaly custom, and per your needs. I wrote to them once, told me it would cost me 800 and up, depending on what i wanted. I refues to spend three full weeks of my paycheck for a case.... for now.
August 31, 2006 7:39:06 AM

DangerDen do wooden case, but they are out of stock at the moment

Link
September 3, 2006 10:12:33 PM

I was thinking of taking an old case and cutting it up to use some of the hardware in a customer wood enclosure. You can salvage a lot of things from a old case to make the wood one look like it was manufactured. You can get all the switches and leds etc... If I can find the time and patience it would be a fun project.
!