Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Best Security Suite for Win7 Gaming PC

Last response: in Windows 7
May 22, 2011 8:22:19 PM

Hi there,

I've recently bought a gaming PC. It's a Win7 64 bit Home Premium OS, and the PC is going to be running pretty strenuously, either gaming or downloading/uploading.

I don't have a vast amount of spare time, so I preferably don't want to have to wait for hours due to a very system hoggy security suite.

However I will be using the PC for work and entertainment. I will be visiting a variety of websites, some of which will be more safe than others. I tend to take calculated risks with everything, so at some point there's a likelihood of me visiting some webpage with something nasty on it, even if it's out of sheer ignorance.

Obviously my PC is very important to me, and I cant afford to go damaging it. Therefore, it follows that I want to spend as little as possible, yet I also understand that good things cost.

So, based on my requirements and due to my lack of expertise, I find myself calling upon your collective greater wisdom. What's the best security suite for me? :) 

Thank you for reading.
a c 225 4 Gaming
a b $ Windows 7
May 22, 2011 8:28:54 PM

I have several site licenses for Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite (AV, Firewall and Malware protection). You can download it and try it for free ..... and after it expires, they will e-mail you an offer at a lower rate than you would get buying it outright where $35 covers 3 PC's or $12 each.

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/anti-virus-spyw...

Score
May 22, 2011 9:46:05 PM

Hmm thank you. I'll have a look.

Any other suggestions, just so I can get a range of possibilities? :) 

Thanks so much :) 
Score
Related resources

Best solution

May 23, 2011 9:04:09 AM

I would recommend MSE(Microsoft Security Essentials)
http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-security/mse.aspx
It is one of the best free anti viruses out there and its backed by Microsoft.

Or even AVG is still good these days.
May 23, 2011 10:12:03 AM

Zone alarm extreme protection looks great.

I'll check out MSE when I get home :) 

Thanks for your help,

Any more suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks!
Score
a b $ Windows 7
May 23, 2011 10:21:29 AM

Another vote for MSE from my side. Been using it for more than a year with no trouble at all.

By the way, if you do plan on shopping around a bit, don't install and run multiple AV suites at the same time.
Score
Anonymous
May 23, 2011 3:23:15 PM

MSE is as good as any costly alternative in my opinion.

Having said that I no longer use antivirus software, I find the pop ups annoying and the scans seem to take forever as well as adding to RAM.

I believe that if you are careful as to what you open and run in e-mails or internet pop ups etc you will be fine. I do however have back ups of most of my most important files and I am wary of who I do business with online!

I am yet to run into any bother, you could call it luck but i disagree
Score
a b $ Windows 7
May 23, 2011 5:01:07 PM

MSE=no pop-ups. Part of the reason I ditched AVG.
Score
May 23, 2011 9:19:18 PM

I like zone Alarm because it has a gamer mode that disables popups :) 
Thanks all of you ever so much. I'll check out both of these suites when my new PC arrives on Friday :excited: :D 

Thanks again! :) 
Score
May 24, 2011 12:49:54 AM

Anonymous said:
MSE is as good as any costly alternative in my opinion.

Having said that I no longer use antivirus software, I find the pop ups annoying and the scans seem to take forever as well as adding to RAM.

I believe that if you are careful as to what you open and run in e-mails or internet pop ups etc you will be fine. I do however have back ups of most of my most important files and I am wary of who I do business with online!

I am yet to run into any bother, you could call it luck but i disagree

HAHA spoken like my best friend a year ago, he said he was the carefullest and smartest person about not downloading or running malicious files, but when got his WOW account hacked from a trojan that was put on his computer i just sat there saying I told ya so and he changed his mind about virus protection that day he lost everything. No one is impervious to viruses, and those who think so need to learn that the hard way.
Score
October 1, 2012 9:24:57 PM

I would recommend avast or avg
I'm currently using avg but thinking about moving to avast as it doesn't hog the system down as much and has a gaming mode
Let us kno what you choose
Score
a b 8 Security
a c 445 4 Gaming
a c 411 $ Windows 7
October 1, 2012 11:44:06 PM

Gdata internet security suite or Norton.
Score
a b 8 Security
a c 445 4 Gaming
a c 411 $ Windows 7
October 1, 2012 11:45:19 PM

Best answer selected by Area51reopened.
Score
a b 8 Security
a c 445 4 Gaming
a c 411 $ Windows 7
October 1, 2012 11:45:25 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened