Asus M2N32 SLi Deluxe WiFi Edition
PNY GeForce 7900 GT
2 GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400 800Mhz RAM
160GB Western Digital Raptor 10,000 RPM
500GB Western Digital Caviar SATA II
Plextor DVD/RW PX755-SA (Sata)
Ultra X-Connect 500W Titanium Power Supply
Thermaltake Shark Aluminum Case

Problem is..... it was booting up fine without errors until I just installed the new DVD/RW. Now its displaying "The NVidia System Sentinel is reporting that the graphics card is not receiving sufficient power." Then it proceeds to tell me that the graphics processor has lowered its power to prevent system / hardware damage.

I have a 500 watt power supply and I find it hard to believe that I'm running low on juice. I have many utilities that came with my motherboard to monitor the system and nothing is reporting any errors. I heard you can use RivaTuner to monitor system power but I can't get power to show up in my list of monitored objects.

Asus PC Probe II shows the following stats:

There is a dongle on the 7900GT that branches out to two 4 pin connectors. I have run 2 separate cables from the power supply to connect each of those 4 pin connectors on the dongle.

Is there anything I can do to get a definitive answer on how much POWER my system is using vs. how much is available? One that says specifically how much each device is using would be even better.
August 29, 2006 12:02:07 AM

Is the card connected to the 6-pin power?

Quote:
There is a dongle on the 7900GT that branches out to two 4 pin connectors. I have run 2 separate cables from the power supply to connect each of those 4 pin connectors on the dongle.

Ok, so it has the power from the PSU.

Now, onto the real problem:
Ultra power supplies are plain crap. I would never trust any system with those. Consider getting an FSP power supply, they're priced well, and are VERY good.
August 29, 2006 12:12:34 AM

But the titanium finish is so pretty, plus all the round cables :(  I haven't had any problems related to power until this....and honestly I don't see any problems with video in the games I've run so far.

however, I supposed I haven't put a whole lot of stress on it yet.

I do have 1 Y-cable connecting both 4-pins coming from the dongle.... I guess I could try running 2 entirely different cables although i don't see why it would matter
Related resources
August 29, 2006 1:49:31 AM

I've read about others having this problem with the 6xxx series and they said replacing power supplies didn't help...hmm..
August 29, 2006 4:06:23 PM

Right now I'm using one of the Y-cables to connect both 4-pinners coming out of the dongle. Do you think running 2 entirely separate cables would make a difference at all? If not, I guess i'll have to look closer for that 6 pin connection because I sure didn't see one. Nor did I see a 6 pin cable with my modular cables
August 30, 2006 1:21:16 AM

re-cabling my case and running 2 independent modular cables to my video card fixed the problem. thanks
!