Explorer hangs 30 seconds

Jeffo

Distinguished
May 11, 2004

I have two users that have an explorer hanging issue.

When they're in Word or Excel and do a SaveAs, the window
pops up fast, but when they hit the down arrow to browse
to another drive, they have to wait exactly 30 seconds
before the list will drop down. It will hang once per
document.

If you right-click the Start button and go to Explorer,
the window pops up fast, but the list of local and mapped
network drives take 30 seconds to display. If you don't
touch "My Computer", you can browse the C:\ drive without
issues. But once you touch My Computer, it hangs for 30
seconds.

I went through the registry and changed all 30-second
timeouts to 20. This indeed reduced the wait, but it
doesn't fix the problem.
We are Active Dir, PC's are W2KSP4 with patches, no
errors in the Event Logs, otherwise they behave extremely
healthy. I have 80 machines to support and these are the
only two I know of with this quirk.
I've deleted and re-added printers, and ran these
commands:
net use * /d /y
NET USE /persistent:no
nbtstat -R
nbtstat -RR
arp -d *
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /renew

Services all look good for what is running or not.
Problem won't go away.
Any suggestions?

JeffO wrote:
> I have two users that have an explorer hanging issue.
>
> When they're in Word or Excel and do a SaveAs, the window
> pops up fast, but when they hit the down arrow to browse
> to another drive, they have to wait exactly 30 seconds
> before the list will drop down. It will hang once per
> document.
>
> If you right-click the Start button and go to Explorer,
> the window pops up fast, but the list of local and mapped
> network drives take 30 seconds to display. If you don't
> touch "My Computer", you can browse the C:\ drive without
> issues. But once you touch My Computer, it hangs for 30
> seconds.
>
> I went through the registry and changed all 30-second
> timeouts to 20. This indeed reduced the wait, but it
> doesn't fix the problem.
> We are Active Dir, PC's are W2KSP4 with patches, no
> errors in the Event Logs, otherwise they behave extremely
> healthy. I have 80 machines to support and these are the
> only two I know of with this quirk.
> I've deleted and re-added printers, and ran these
> commands:
> net use * /d /y
> NET USE /persistent:no
> nbtstat -R
> nbtstat -RR
> arp -d *
> ipconfig /release
> ipconfig /flushdns
> ipconfig /renew
>
> Services all look good for what is running or not.
> Problem won't go away.
> Any suggestions?

In a command prompt, type

net use <enter>

Are there any drives mapped to unavailable shares/servers? Delete them if
so - net use x: /del <enter> and see if this improves things.