TTCP results on Gigabit network

Last response: in Networking
January 1, 2005 10:00:40 PM

I am getting 45,579 KB/sec now (I just upgraded to Gigabit network),
what are you getting ?

Before I was getting 11,603 KB/sec on 100 MBit network, so improvement
is about 4x, copying 4.5 GB file takes 2 min 28 sec now vs 7 min 30 sec
then. Looks good.

But I was wondering about my TTCP results - is it as good as it gets ?
I am running Window XP on both computers, one is 3.6 GHz Pentium 4 with
on-board Gigabit network adapter, another - 1 GHz Pentium III with PCI
Gigabit network adapter. I was saturating my 100 Mbit connection at
~95% with TTCP, and Gigabit connection is only saturated at ~30-35%. I
was kind of expecting to saturate Gigabit network to higher %, but CPU
load on slower PC is about 65%, so it could be a bottleneck now (CPU
load at faster PC is about 15%)

I was thinking if switching to CAT 6 would give any noticeable
improvement (running CAT 5E now)
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 2:05:31 AM

John_Doe@inbox.ru wrote:

> I am getting 45,579 KB/sec now (I just upgraded to Gigabit network),
> what are you getting ?
>
> Before I was getting 11,603 KB/sec on 100 MBit network, so improvement
> is about 4x, copying 4.5 GB file takes 2 min 28 sec now vs 7 min 30 sec
> then. Looks good.
>
> But I was wondering about my TTCP results - is it as good as it gets ?
> I am running Window XP on both computers, one is 3.6 GHz Pentium 4 with
> on-board Gigabit network adapter, another - 1 GHz Pentium III with PCI
> Gigabit network adapter. I was saturating my 100 Mbit connection at
> ~95% with TTCP, and Gigabit connection is only saturated at ~30-35%. I
> was kind of expecting to saturate Gigabit network to higher %, but CPU
> load on slower PC is about 65%, so it could be a bottleneck now (CPU
> load at faster PC is about 15%)
>
> I was thinking if switching to CAT 6 would give any noticeable
> improvement (running CAT 5E now)

At the speed you're showing the PCI bus is the bottleneck. CAT6 will give
no improvement unless your CAT5E cables are broken in some fashion.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)