Your question

Need some wiring help for a 1st time builder

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
August 29, 2006 12:21:52 AM

All my components are in and now comes the tricky part--all the wiring. My mobo is the Gigabyte 965p-ds3. I have a thermaltake 500w pure power psu. My case is the Aerocool ExtremEngine 3T which has 3 dial fan controls to control 3 fans, 2 USB ports, ear l and ear r wires. it also has mic data and mic vc, and ground wire. The case also has a power sw, power led, reset and hdd light wires.

My system has

Gigabyte 965p-DS3
e6300 retail
2 SATAII 250GB 16cache 3gb/s HDD's
Lightscribe x16 DVD-RW-R
floppy drive
soundblaster x-fi XM
Saphirre x1900xtx

Does the IDE cable for the DVD drive have to go in a certain way or there is a pin#1? Is it just a ide cable and plug from PSU to activate dvd drive?

FDD connector also has to go in a certain way or either way is ok? Floppy only gets the FDD cable and psu plug?

The HDD's get the SATA cable (red) and the PSU sata plug? thats it?

Video only gets pcie power plug, thats it?

soundcard gets nothing?

Can someone look at the manual on pdf file. Its on the gigabyte website for 965p-DS3 and please help me attach the case wires correctly, i dont want to mess it up. I dont want to reverse the plug. Ive supplied the link for my case and my mobo. If anyone can give me clear and easy instructions to put the case and fan plugs in, I would appreciate it greatly.
And to also make sure Im right in connecting PSU plugs and mobo wires to peripherals.

http://www.aerocool.us/p-case/extremengine3t/extremengi...

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Manual_M...

More about : wiring 1st time builder

August 29, 2006 5:52:11 AM

Quote:
I dont want to reverse the plug. Ive supplied the link for my case and my mobo. If anyone can give me clear and easy instructions to put the case and fan plugs in, I would appreciate it greatly.

Plugs are designed to only fit one way and each type of plug has its own shape. Its difficult to make any mistakes in that department. If you are having a hard time identifying plugs the internet has tons of useful information for people in your situation. If you are going to make PC building a hobby you really should resolve yourself to the fact that you will need to do research.

tomshardware.com | Building Your Own PC, Part 1: Know-How for Do-It-Yourselfers

tomshardware.com | Building Your Own PC, Part 2: Assembly Step by Step

pcstats.com | Beginners Guide

Asking people to recite what is already available with a little looking on your part is a bit annoying. If you get stuck Im sure people would be happy to help, but you should take the first step by doing a bit of research.
August 29, 2006 7:30:24 AM

I also like to learn from others. Reading/research is fine but it doesnt give you feedback or help you understand it better. I might not be expierenced or new to computers, I know there are some people who better understand the instructions and/or research, I simply was looking for a liitle help so I can see and learn.

For some people it takes a little extra to understand and learn. To get feedback from others and see how its done from others as well. I like to see and spend time looking at it and ask questions as well as be pointed in the direction. IS this wrong???????

If I wanted all the answers and not do anything I could of simply taken my components and case wrapped it up and taken to a place that will assemble it.

Some people in here know I ask questions, do it, then ask more questions. Id like to really know what Im doing and rather get feedback and info from people. Thats not to say that I dont read articles and such.
Related resources
August 29, 2006 7:42:49 AM

"Asking people to recite what is already available with a little looking on your part is a bit annoying"

You know I might not be the most intelligent person on the planet, or understand computers to a point but its that comment that is truly annoying, unwarranted, and childish.

I have 2 books on BYO and maximum pc's special BYO. If you dont like me or anyone else asking for a little clarification then dont respond and try to talk to me like im someone who doesnt do research. That p***** me off.

Maybe I dont want my system to blow up in my face or, burn out my newly purchased components. I like to be sure than sorry. If you dont like it dont help me, there are plenty of people out there that have helped me and Ive appreciated it and used there words of wisdom and got this far.
August 29, 2006 8:01:10 AM

No, asking for help at a hardware forum is not wrong, infact its encouraged. I dont think there is anything wrong with people who are learning to ask lots of questions either. I just find it hard to believe you need "feedback" on hooking up a FDD with the wealth of information at your fingertips called google. I am not insulting your intelligence, I am criticizing your methods.

I would like to point out that I did spend some time to help you. I provided links to some of your questions. It answered them as fast as possible and provided you with a higher quality and even illustrated response.

Part of the forum experience is taking what you want from each persons response. Sometimes people say things you dont agree with. I attempted to help you on your quest for information. Whether you valued that help is up to you. Good luck with your build.
August 29, 2006 9:19:16 AM

Quote:
No, asking for help at a hardware forum is not wrong, infact its encouraged. I dont think there is anything wrong with people who are learning to ask lots of questions either. I just find it hard to believe you need "feedback" on hooking up a FDD with the wealth of information at your fingertips called google. I am not insulting your intelligence, I am criticizing your methods.

I would like to point out that I did spend some time to help you. I provided links to some of your questions. It answered them as fast as possible and provided you with a higher quality and even illustrated response.

Part of the forum experience is taking what you want from each persons response. Sometimes people say things you dont agree with. I attempted to help you on your quest for information. Whether you valued that help is up to you. Good luck with your build.

It should also be noted that posting the same question in three different forums isn't going to help either. It kind of cheeses people off a bit. I've replied to his two other posts though :) 

Mikeny. I think you do need to read the manuals that came with your case and mobo and you also need to look at the parts before you.

If your X1900XTX says in the manual to plus a PCI-E connector in and nothing else then perhaps that's what you should do. I would think that's fairly self explanatory.

Everyone had to learn these things at some point. Reading manuals and looking at parts before posting on this forum would have helped you a lot because the next time you build a PC you'll probably be back on this forum asking similar questions. If you learn how to do it yourself then you'll have that knowledge with you forever.

Morphine is also correct in saying that with google you could have found the answers yourself. Putting "how to build a PC" (with the quotation marks) in google would have yielded many helpful sites. As I said before it's much better learning yourself than being spoonfed.
August 29, 2006 5:10:00 PM

Up until now, I've gotten great advice and help with my first build. You implying that I havent read the manuals or studies the parts is absurd. If you and morphine have no tolerance for someone that takes it real slow and needs just a little extra push to figure it out, then I will only base how far Ive gotten so far with a bunch of great helpful bunch of guys, minus you 2 for the rediculous "pointing of the finger", and for also being grilled by you two. WHat makes you think I havent looked on google. Did it ever occur to you that maybe I need extra help?????. When I do get helpful hints and instructions, then I do it. It's disturbing that out of all the posts, you 2 are the only negatives.

If you don't like my posts don't read them, dont reply to them. There are plenty of great and wonderful people on here who share their expierence, help, and knowledge which they are aware of my grattitude and my low level of expertise in this field. Its simply ridiculous to think that I just open the box, throw the piece down without reading anything. If you 2 want to chide or give the 3rd degree to someone who simply asks for easy instructions and has trouble reading the research and manuals (which are poorly written), then you 2 are a very sorry, poor bunch that will not change my opinion on a lot of helpful people in the forums.[/u]
August 29, 2006 5:38:52 PM

Quote:
I attempted to help you on your quest for information. Whether you valued that help is up to you. Good luck with your build.
August 29, 2006 5:57:35 PM

While I can't argue with people suggesting doing more research before asking questions, there is a way to point this out without being condescending. I subscribe to the idea that if you can't say something nice then you shouldn't say anything at all. Some people just aren't considerate.

Who is to say that you didn't do research but just wanted to be sure? All of us have been there and we've made out mistakes. Being new to something like building computers isn't the same for everyone though and some people could learn to approach this with a little humility.

Manners man, it doesn't take as much energy to be nice as it does to be otherwise.
August 29, 2006 6:41:33 PM

You have to admit though, in the time it took him to write the last two replies he could have found out that there is a colored edge on a ribbon cable *and* which way it goes.
August 29, 2006 7:20:46 PM

What bothers me about your reply Phreejak is that you didnt do anything to answer his questions. I had some criticizism yes, but I also offered some help. I suspect the reason you didnt tackle the topic at hand was you didnt have the time to answer so many questions. Maybe if you just posted some links to a site where someone has put together thoughtful illustrated guides, that would have helped...

Whats interesting to me is that I and/or 306maxi are accused of being condescending, inconsiderate, haughty, and even lacking in manners. All of these insinuations are far more rude than anything I said. Not to mention completely unhelpful to the poster.

Quote:
All of us have been there and we've made our mistakes.

Very true. Building systems comes with making mistakes and learning from them. I hope the information posted on those tutorials eases his mind on the process and helps him answer some questions.

I subscribe to the idea if you give a man a fish you feed him for a day, teach him how to fish and feed him for a lifetime.
August 29, 2006 7:46:23 PM

Quote:
What bothers me about your reply Phreejak is that you didnt do anything to answer his questions. I had some criticizism yes, but I also offered some help. I suspect the reason you didnt tackle the topic at hand was you didnt have the time to answer so many questions. Maybe if you just posted some links to a site where someone has put together thoughtful illustrated guides, that would have helped...

Whats interesting to me is that I and/or 306maxi are accused of being condescending, inconsiderate, haughty, and even lacking in manners. All of these insinuations are far more rude than anything I said. Not to mention completely unhelpful to the poster.

Very true. Building systems comes with making mistakes and learning from them. I hope the information posted on those tutorials eases his mind on the process and helps him answer some questions.

I subscribe to the idea if you give a man a fish you feed him for a day, teach him how to fish and feed him for a lifetime.

Mikeny dont you find it odd that they guys you say are the only non helpful people and the only two you dislike in this forum are also the only two that actualy took a little time out of thier life to offer any help?
Take it for what its worth, yes your questions were well... questions, and this is a forum, but they were very easy questions that would take alot of time and effort from others too learn the specifics of your system.

Morphine, I agree with your above post, keep up the good work.
August 29, 2006 8:18:52 PM

Actually, I did help him and have been doing so through PM and if you'd have just asked him instead of assuming you'd have known that.
August 29, 2006 8:57:40 PM

You know this is all b.s. I asked a few questions and you, your partner and a new person has jumped in against me and Phree. I dont like to be told, well in the time i made 2 replies I could of checked. Im not some freaking child to be spoken to like that or deserve that type of talk.

For your information, Phreejack answered my questions and didnt chide me like some of you. Since I joined this forum, a lot have answered my questions, and even as gone as far to say, that my many questions are ok. Most of the times i make sure its ok to ask so many questions and I distinctly remember a lot of members have said that its ok, and the more questions the better off. I dont expect all my questions answered all in one shot. Answers trickling down is fine with me, Im in no rush to complete this project. I targeted myself to complete it though, before my summer vacation ends and I go back to work.

If you dont llike me asking questions then dont reply and move on. Your not obligated to answer my posts.

If you think I dont read the manuals, articles, reviews, and how to's, then thats your opinion. If you feel I dont look at the ribobn, thats your opinion as well. im not going to explain myself or be treated like an infant. Like I said before, some people have the know how faster than others. Some people when they read in what my case is awfully bad manuals that I would like just a little more input and lots of pictures, I would get a better feel of what Im doing. Like I said, this is my first venture into computer building and really take a deep spec look at all the parts associated with it. All this info is overwhelming and I simply ask for help in the forums, and certainly get a wealth of information and help form a lot of people who know where Im coming from. People PM me for information and such, I welcome there questions as well and have gotten this far. For other people who get the manuals and understand it and dont think its awfully written then I applaud them and hope one day Im one of them. Me thinking the manuals awful is my opinion. I choose to ask for help, if its more than what some are use to, then those that choose to help are welcome, those that dont thats there right, but those who chide me or get a little defensive against me asking more than a fair share of questions and looking for more than a fair share of help then tell me stuff is out there go look is unbecoming and counter productive to what this forum is here for.........helping, expertise, opinions ect.

Phreejack-----THANK YOU for sticking up for me :) 

*Im glad to of found this forum and the many people that have so far helped me. Im 3 wires from finishing and 7 hrs till I check the heartbeat of my new system*

Why 7hrs.....gotta wait till my fiance goes to sleep lol
August 29, 2006 9:14:22 PM

Quote:

Mikeny dont you find it odd that they guys you say are the only non helpful people and the only two you dislike in this forum are also the only two that actualy took a little time out of thier life to offer any help?
Take it for what its worth, yes your questions were well... questions, and this is a forum, but they were very easy questions that would take alot of time and effort from others too learn the specifics of your system.

Morphine, I agree with your above post, keep up the good work.

Thanks.

Look at the other threads and you'll notice that I've done my best to try and help this guy and now he goes on as if me and morphine at his mother or something.

Not a great attitude when all you tried to do was help him.
August 29, 2006 9:22:54 PM

Hey Mike.
I registered to reply to you! I know how you feel, so I'll try my best to give you a thorough guide, and I hope that you will learn from this, and would be able to put it into practice next time dude =).

My system has

Gigabyte 965p-DS3
e6300 retail
2 SATAII 250GB 16cache 3gb/s HDD's
Lightscribe x16 DVD-RW-R
floppy drive
soundblaster x-fi XM
Saphirre x1900xtx

Nice rig 8).

Okay, I've downloaded the pdf doc, and I have the url opened too.

I'll not just tell you how to wire your stuff up, but rather I'll explain the giude to you, whilst walking your thru step by step.

------------------

Does the IDE cable for the DVD drive have to go in a certain way or there is a pin#1? Is it just a ide cable and plug from PSU to activate dvd drive?
They go in a certain way. General rule is, if it doesn't go in, dont force it in. You should see that they fit first, before trying to push em in. Pretty straightforward here. Yes, IDE and plug only.

FDD connector also has to go in a certain way or either way is ok? Floppy only gets the FDD cable and psu plug?
Same as above.

The HDD's get the SATA cable (red) and the PSU sata plug? thats it?
Yes.

Video only gets pcie power plug, thats it?
Yes again.

soundcard gets nothing?
Not too sure here, I think (at least on the older CDdrives/sound cards) you can connect the CD_In to your sound card.

------------------

Firstly, since you have a Sound Blaster X-Fi card, I will not connect the front audio points to your motherboard (*note* I *assume* that when doing that you will be using the mobo's soundcard) However, you can read the manuals of your SoundBlaster card (or wait for the other THG forumers to help you here) to see whether you can connect the plugs on your case, to your soundcard.

Okay, to connect your case (HD/SPEAK/RES/PW/MSG/NC) to your mobo, get your mobos manual out, and turn to page 23..

As it says.

HD - HardDisk LED activity.
SPEAK - I assume your case has a speaker, if it doesn't you can just leave this unconnected.
RES - Reset button.
PW - Power Switch. (To get the computer to start :p )
MSG - Message LED
NC - I got no idea wtf NC is lol. If you have a cable that has 'NC' labled, then I'll just plug it into the corresponding point.

Okay, look at the diagram depicting the pin assignment on the mobo. Now look at the bundle of wires (from your case). Look at their heads, you will see stuff like MSG+/MSG- (in a twisted pair) HD+/HD- etc etc. Just plug those into their corresponding positions, as shown on the mobo! O.K. You're done here.

Jump to page 26 on your motherboards manual. This step should be pretty selfexplanatory, after you have finished the steps above(connectin ur case).

As shown on the website(aerocool), I will assume that they are connectors, coming out of the fans in your casing. Look at the pictures and try to follow them. Yellow to Red. Black to Black. Look at that picture

Connect the plug (which says 'connect to power supply') to a connector with those yellow/black/black/red wires (a MOLEX connector), which would be coming out of your PSU.

That should be it, to connect the firewire cables, just refer to your motherboard, I don't think you will find it hard, after going through the first step with me.

Good luck, I hope I helped you.

If you have any other questions, feel free to send me a PM =).
August 29, 2006 10:44:52 PM

Perfect! Thanx a million for your information/directions/and know-how

This is really helpful. Im with my fiance now, but I will look this over, and look over Phreejack's and others HELPFUL replies. Im going to finish up the wiring later tonite then go thru a checklist that Jumpingjack PM'd me the other day.

<crossing fingers to hopefully hear a heartbeat when I press the power on the switch later>

*****I do have the mobo manual with me ;-)
I have the Build the perfect pc by maximum pc
I also have "Dude, You can do it! How to build a sweet pc"

I still havent forgotten about the others whove helped me since day 1
August 29, 2006 10:58:17 PM

My mother? LoL think what you want, say what you want. Just move on and stop with the he said this, you said this aand blah blah blah.
August 29, 2006 11:11:51 PM

You know if you knew the big picture then you wouldnt just jump and say that these 2 offered help or only help. Im fine with the help but I didnt appreciate was the way it was given and the "do the research and stop repeating" thought.
To you the questions might be sooo easy but for me, I was having trouble and I simply was looking for explanations and if possible a show me how. I could care less about feeding fish and feedings for a lifetime.

Ive gotten a lot of help from others who gave me great insight, know-how, and easy answers to technical questions which I was getting confused over. I didnt exactly like the approach Morphine and 306 took to my lack of knowledge, technical insight, and know-how on this because this is my first time. Say what you want (You, Morphine, and 306), but Ive gotten replies and PM's from other people who were in my position and understand my confusion. And from experts who simpathize with my confusion and have helped me as well.

If you think Im going to be spoon-fed forever when doing this and perhaps another build, grow up!
August 29, 2006 11:36:03 PM

Listen to the hypnotoad.

All hail, hypnotoad.

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
August 30, 2006 12:42:40 AM

Quote:
Listen to the hypnotoad.

All hail, hypnotoad.

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

LOL

Wawawawawawa waaaa wawawawa waaaaaaaaaa
August 30, 2006 1:02:35 AM

Quote:
You know if you knew the big picture then you wouldnt just jump and say that these 2 offered help or only help. Im fine with the help but I didnt appreciate was the way it was given and the "do the research and stop repeating" thought.
To you the questions might be sooo easy but for me, I was having trouble and I simply was looking for explanations and if possible a show me how. I could care less about feeding fish and feedings for a lifetime.

Ive gotten a lot of help from others who gave me great insight, know-how, and easy answers to technical questions which I was getting confused over. I didnt exactly like the approach Morphine and 306 took to my lack of knowledge, technical insight, and know-how on this because this is my first time. Say what you want (You, Morphine, and 306), but Ive gotten replies and PM's from other people who were in my position and understand my confusion. And from experts who simpathize with my confusion and have helped me as well.

If you think Im going to be spoon-fed forever when doing this and perhaps another build, grow up!

Listen you ungrateful youknowwhat. Both myself and morphine posted many helpful hints on how to assemble your PC. Yet for some reason you're being ungrateful.

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/walk-1st-time-b...

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/default-ftopict...

Read the above threads. I posted many helpful suggestions yet you seem to have a bee in your bonnet now and you're going off at two people who tried to help you. THis is annoying beyond belief and will not win you any friends on this forum.

When I got help building my first PC I thanked the people who helped me even if they did treat me like I was a bit of a n00b. Because

A. They gave up their time to help me.
B. If something went wrong I could ask for assistance.
C. They didn't need to help me but they did.
D. I'm not a rude prick like you.
August 30, 2006 1:45:29 AM

Say what you want and call me whatever you want. Childish but whatever. Im well aware of yours and morphines help which was why I was surprised at the remarks from the beginning and angered me. I dont know where you get the idea that I dont thank people or realize that people are taking there time to help me. Are you on drugs?

Why dont you go on a scooby doo mystery and see that Ive thanked many people and gained some friends with it also.

If you bothered to take your head of your rear, get off that big huge thrown your on, and think for a moment you might learn something else than cursing and attacking on baseless remarks and something you should of thought about before starting.

You want to call me a prick fine, coming from a little bitch like you who gets his/her jollies on this. Are we going to continue this?

a) go on a scooby doo mystery
b) take a deep breath
c) using the ol' your not making friends this way is a sign for you to realize your loosing your marbles and having nothing better to say
d) your a gutless puke who has nothing better to do then twist words, start a baseless rant & rave, curse and pick on a newb

So I ask again, are we going to contiinue this?
August 30, 2006 1:48:08 AM

Quote:
Say what you want and call me whatever you want. Childish but whatever. Im well aware of yours and morphines help which was why I was surprised at the remarks from the beginning and angered me. I dont know where you get the idea that I dont thank people or realize that people are taking there time to help me. Are you on drugs?

Why dont you go on a scooby doo mystery and see that Ive thanked many people and gained some friends with it also.

If you bothered to take your head of your rear, get off that big huge thrown your on, and think for a moment you might learn something else than cursing and attacking on baseless remarks and something you should of thought about before starting.

You want to call me a prick fine, coming from a little bitch like you who gets his/her jollies on this. Are we going to continue this?

a) go on a scooby doo mystery
b) take a deep breath
c) using the ol' your not making friends this way is a sign for you to realize your loosing your marbles and having nothing better to say
d) your a gutless puke who has nothing better to do then twist words, start a baseless rant & rave, curse and pick on a newb

So I ask again, are we going to contiinue this?

*sigh*
August 30, 2006 2:37:32 AM

Quote:

Why dont you go on a scooby doo mystery

LOL. That's a new one.

-RAWR! R'I'M RARED, RAGGY!

-ZOIKS!

*xylophone*

I would have gotten away with it, if it weren't for you meddling kids!
August 30, 2006 2:40:19 AM

:lol: 
August 30, 2006 2:52:32 AM

routing the wires to your liking will take more time
but it will give you better air flow and look a little neater

using little zip ties will help alot
you will want to use as many as you think
aleast 10 or more

if you have case fans with 3pin connect you can plug
them into your mobo instead of using those big 4pin adapters
and so on

in other words it could take you an hour or more to route
the wires

install your vid card last so you will have more room for
all the other wires
take your time try to be pacient and try to stay grounded
good luck
August 30, 2006 3:07:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:
I could care less about feeding fish and feedings for a lifetime.

ROFL, I havent laughed that hard in a long time.
August 30, 2006 3:10:57 AM

Thank you :-)

Im going to see if my system will turn on then, do some tying.
August 30, 2006 3:46:49 AM

Quote:

Quote:
I could care less about feeding fish and feedings for a lifetime.

ROFL, I havent laughed that hard in a long time.

:lol:  NP, I enjoyed our conversations immensly :lol: 
August 30, 2006 4:15:48 AM

How did your 1st build go?
August 30, 2006 4:16:02 AM

How old r u ?

im getting things in perspective
August 30, 2006 1:19:27 PM

Quote:
How old r u ?

Same question here...

First off Id like to say I thoroughly enjoyed this post/rant thread. It realy made me laugh out loud at work.
Second is it just me or does anyone else picture mikeny with a tear in his eye every time he goes off on the "just because im stupid you dont have to pick on me rants?"
Your right your questions were not that bad, lots had the same on their first builds, but the nature and scale of your response to Morph and maxi
(OMG the response to the fish narrative.. pricelesss!!!)
really blew your credibility.

Quote:
Actually, I did help him and have been doing so through PM and if you'd have just asked him instead of assuming you'd have known that.

Rule of thumb pharek, and I am sure most will agree with this. This is a help forum and most people who come here to learn actualy do so by reading the "posted" threads. PM has its uses but try and keep the posts visible so you can help other viewers.
On the other hand this thread did get kinda out of control so that could have been a PM reason.

So in conclusion

a. Im still laughing
b. great thread
c. SCOOBBYY DOOOBBYY DOOO
d. and SHAGGYYY TOOO
August 30, 2006 5:39:26 PM

Quote:
How old r u ?

Same question here...

First off Id like to say I thoroughly enjoyed this post/rant thread. It realy made me laugh out loud at work.
Second is it just me or does anyone else picture mikeny with a tear in his eye every time he goes off on the "just because im stupid you dont have to pick on me rants?"
Your right your questions were not that bad, lots had the same on their first builds, but the nature and scale of your response to Morph and maxi
(OMG the response to the fish narrative.. pricelesss!!!)
really blew your credibility.

Quote:

Rule of thumb pharek, and I am sure most will agree with this. This is a help forum and most people who come here to learn actualy do so by reading the "posted" threads. PM has its uses but try and keep the posts visible so you can help other viewers.
On the other hand this thread did get kinda out of control so that could have been a PM reason.

So in conclusion

a. Im still laughing
b. great thread
c. SCOOBBYY DOOOBBYY DOOO
d. and SHAGGYYY TOOO

LoL. How infantile can you be? I really don't care about your thoughts on credibility. Obviously you had an accident in your pampers and want to get in on this. Our arguments have come and gone. I've moved on, how about you do the same.
August 30, 2006 6:31:19 PM

When you ask how to plug in cables that can only plug in one possible way AND there are inifinite pictures on the web to show you how to do it, you have to expect a bit of sarcasm from the guys who spend their time helping to resolve REAL problems.

You should be grateful anyone responded to that question at all instead of b1tch1ng that they weren't nice enough to you.
August 30, 2006 6:45:08 PM

Don't bother replying to me even in an offhanded fashion. You've made personal attacks so anything I might type is just burning electrons.

So. A request, a novella+ and still no update.

Has it fired up yet?
August 30, 2006 7:19:49 PM

Havent fired it up yet. I just need to unhook my monitor and take my keyboard and mouse form my old system and do a checklist.
August 30, 2006 8:04:47 PM

Quote:
Havent fired it up yet. I just need to unhook my monitor and take my keyboard and mouse form my old system and do a checklist.

We've all got our fingers crossed for problems :)  Don't worry if you need help it won't be there.
August 30, 2006 8:10:56 PM

Yeah know mikeny I hate to do a click by e-thuging but:

August 30, 2006 9:05:54 PM

Well if it doesnt work, bend over and it should work then :lol: 
August 30, 2006 10:04:26 PM

honestly i must agree, i never had anything to do with pc's till 2001(that is having my own pc, and going through its "guts") and that was teh way i learned things, ....reading instructions, .....hm...lol i always read them after i installed the hardware(weird,but it always worked anyway) lol but this time when ill be building my system from ground up i might check the mobo instruction "just in case", in regards to asking questions, im shoor there are many people on this forum that would gladly help, but some questions/thigs are hm...self explanatory, lets say one does not know waht a molox cable is...hapens, one can ask that here, or goole it first, but if lets say a hd, or cd drive has a power connector that is the same (molox) why ask the question if that molox goes there??(I v seen that happen)...so i guess most of the forum members here (those that are more hm...hardware oriented will be a bit "pissed" with that type of questions lol, because that sthe absolute basics(reading the instructions/manual basic :wink: ) but other things as memory pairing(newbies have issues with it), raid srttings, other bios settings are one of those "medium hardness" questions and im shoor those questions will be answered, as they have been many times ....btw good luck with Your build m8.
August 30, 2006 10:19:19 PM

btw i forgot dont forget to ground urselfe well, install the cpu and hsf first before u put the mobo in the case(only ehen u have the hsf with a plate that u have to mount in thback, then ram, then put all in case, the gpu card should go last(its easier to manuuver, and manage cables a bit then, at first connect the minimum just to see if all works fine that is connect only 1 cd drive (or other optical drive) and 1 hd, then if it works add the rest, its much easier to look for issues then if something doesnt go well at initial startup, , btw lol dont foret to put ur psu in before u put all in the case, i doubt that its even possible to place the psu in after all other components are in the case(writing this "just in case"), atach the fans last, usually their cables are the least prblematic, they usaly can get stuck up in one place on another by the cases edges, hm...dont build on a carpet :wink: ...the best thing id to get one of those wrist matts, or those wristbands that ground You, i think u can get a wrist band for that $3 or $5 in compusa radioshack(but those suck lol)or stores like that...hope this helped a bit
August 30, 2006 10:50:42 PM

Thanx :-)

I learned a few lessons:

-get a full tower
-put sound and video in card after plugs are in

I got the static wristband at microcenter and I learned a lot in my first build with great advice, help, and good instructions from many people in the forumz. Thank you illuminatires for the extra help :) 
August 30, 2006 11:01:03 PM

ahahaha I have to say I've thoroughly reading this entire thread. The ebb and flow of mikeny's attempts to get help and the various responses to his pleas are quite funny.

honestly, mikeny, how old are you? I'm actually very curious...not that your knowledge in computers is based on your age, but the way you write and the words you use suggest a...younger age.

Also...if I'm not mistaken, doesn't it take way less time to search 4 or 5 websites via google looking for solutions to your problems (especially ones like 'which way does the cable go in?') versus posting on a forum and waiting many minutes (more likely, hours) for a complete, satisfying response to your questions?

Correct me if I'm wrong - either way, great discussion, I think I'll bookmark this one for future reference!
August 30, 2006 11:19:10 PM

21+ years
August 31, 2006 12:02:26 AM

Quote:
ahahaha I have to say I've thoroughly reading this entire thread. The ebb and flow of mikeny's attempts to get help and the various responses to his pleas are quite funny.

honestly, mikeny, how old are you? I'm actually very curious...not that your knowledge in computers is based on your age, but the way you write and the words you use suggest a...younger age.

Also...if I'm not mistaken, doesn't it take way less time to search 4 or 5 websites via google looking for solutions to your problems (especially ones like 'which way does the cable go in?') versus posting on a forum and waiting many minutes (more likely, hours) for a complete, satisfying response to your questions?

Correct me if I'm wrong - either way, great discussion, I think I'll bookmark this one for future reference!

August 31, 2006 1:05:24 AM

Please note: once your system is up and running, all WindowsXP related questions should be directed here.
August 31, 2006 1:27:31 AM

8O :lol: 
August 31, 2006 8:24:08 AM

I live in NY, and I just want to state that, 90 percent of NY'rs find people from long island boorish and obnoxious, and without a shred of intellect. a clam bake? well they are your people.

I have built 4 pc's now. and when people are impressed with that, I explain I learned almost everything about building pc's when I was 10.

you see, I was given legos that x mas, and I played with those legos, until the little pegs that alighn so effortlessly, wore off. I built huge structure's out of legos by merely moving one on top of another until it "caught"

By the time I ran out of lego's, i had a small box, that was a tenth the size of all the boxes that they came in. this preturbed me. I knew I had done something wrong. so I jumped on my vic-20, and did some research. well, my dad did it. and my mom. and my siblings asked around school.

I am older now. and I am a master lego craftsman. I built a altar out of legos. I keep my blow up fiance on it.
August 31, 2006 10:44:21 AM

Quote:
I live in NY, and I just want to state that, 90 percent of NY'rs find people from long island boorish and obnoxious, and without a shred of intellect. a clam bake? well they are your people.

I have built 4 pc's now. and when people are impressed with that, I explain I learned almost everything about building pc's when I was 10.

you see, I was given legos that x mas, and I played with those legos, until the little pegs that alighn so effortlessly, wore off. I built huge structure's out of legos by merely moving one on top of another until it "caught"

By the time I ran out of lego's, i had a small box, that was a tenth the size of all the boxes that they came in. this preturbed me. I knew I had done something wrong. so I jumped on my vic-20, and did some research. well, my dad did it. and my mom. and my siblings asked around school.

I am older now. and I am a master lego craftsman. I built a altar out of legos. I keep my blow up fiance on it.

I really dont care what you or your survey says about Long Island.
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!