$1800 and need a powerful machine

yesbigant

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Before I head back to school, I need a new computer, yet I don't want to buy from Dell or anyone so I need advise on a build. My budget is set in stone and I'd like to replace everything from tower to monitor and speakers. I game occassionally and love to multitask, with gaming being mostly FPS and racing games. I'm a virgin builder and all recommendations are welcome, thanks!

erik_tilton

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
Making a computer now would be like getting a new Playstation or PS2 when you know that PS3 is just around the corner.

Couldn't you wait until the Vista Operating System, the *better* Core Duo-compatible motherboards, and the DirectX10 Video Cards are out (around the beginning of next year)? That's what I'm doing--I want to be able to have a future-proof setup, which will only require an occasional upgrade every so often without worrying that components will go stale. I will hopefully keep upgrading it for a few years until something new comes out that requires I make a new computer (in which case I will give the old one to my brother or sell it).

If you need something to do school work with, go REALLY cheap or stick with what you already have unless you don't really care about being prepared for an upgrade path. Plan ahead and leave some space for the newest components (for example, the DirectX10 video cards will require more PSU wattage and so you might want to get a case that can hold large PSUs).

However my knowledge of computers are limited, I've never built a system before. I'm just going by what I learned on the forums and everywhere else. Anyone who knows better, please correct me if I'm wrong on any point.

aBg_rOnGak

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Making a computer now would be like getting a new Playstation or PS2 when you know that PS3 is just around the corner.

Couldn't you wait until the Vista Operating System, the *better* Core Duo-compatible motherboards, and the DirectX10 Video Cards are out (around the beginning of next year)? That's what I'm doing--I want to be able to have a future-proof setup, which will only require an occasional upgrade every so often without worrying that components will go stale. I will hopefully keep upgrading it for a few years until something new comes out that requires I make a new computer (in which case I will give the old one to my brother or sell it).

If you need something to do school work with, go REALLY cheap or stick with what you already have unless you don't really care about being prepared for an upgrade path. Plan ahead and leave some space for the newest components (for example, the DirectX10 video cards will require more PSU wattage and so you might want to get a case that can hold large PSUs).

However my knowledge of computers are limited, I've never built a system before. I'm just going by what I learned on the forums and everywhere else. Anyone who knows better, please correct me if I'm wrong on any point.

Dun b so modest man, but u got a point there, n i hav 2 say dat agree wit dat.

2 yesbigant, if u really need it, urgently,wait a lil bit more for rec. setup as i cant say much as i'm from diff continent, everything's diff.but if u can cope wit what u hav now, then wait patiently....it'll b worth it...just my RM0.02

Dun b so modest man, but u got a point there, n i hav 2 say dat agree wit dat.

2 yesbigant, if u really need it, urgently,wait a lil bit more for rec. setup as i cant say musc as i'm from diff continent, everything's diff.but if u can cope wit what u hav now, then wait patiently....it'll b worth it...just my RM0.02

What is English?

chased13

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
NOW is the time to buy a cp imo. core 2 duo is brand spankin new, and the mobos are stable.

if you wait, kentsfield will be out. if you wait everything will get better. dx 10 might not be out for longer than we think. i would recommend an x1800xt as it will do a great job till dx10 comes

yesbigant

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
I appreciate the suggestions for waiting until Vista and DX 10 but my computer is on its last legs, and I'd be lost if my hard drive crashed or cpu fried, etc.

I really need solution now, so should I go core 2 with all the bells and whistles, or will the upcoming holiday season make that a dead path regarding upgrades? Same with the DX 10 cards, will I need a new mobo to accomodate these changes or perhaps just BIOS revision?

I am in a tough spot, timing wise, please advise!!!

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
I appreciate the suggestions for waiting until Vista and DX 10 but my computer is on its last legs, and I'd be lost if my hard drive crashed or cpu fried, etc.

I really need solution now, so should I go core 2 with all the bells and whistles, or will the upcoming holiday season make that a dead path regarding upgrades? Same with the DX 10 cards, will I need a new mobo to accomodate these changes or perhaps just BIOS revision?

I am in a tough spot, timing wise, please advise!!!

If you are going to buy a system and not touch it for 2-3 years go Core2.

If you are going to buy a system and will upgrade it when 65nm CPUs and/or quad-core CPUs are out.. go AMD.

DX10 cards will work on any current motherboard (with PCI-E slots) and will not require anything special hardware wise. The only requiment will be Windows Vista. DX10 cards will run under XP, but basically will emulate DX 9.0c.

To erik and aBg: There isn't a such thing as a future proof setup. If you wait until DX10 cards are out- the next great thing is already around the corner, so why not wait for that too? Waiting gets you the best deal ever- but you get no work done.

deusex

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
how old are you................school....you have a budget similar to mine...
mayhaps I have some suggestions....pm me:)

you can get a better case than the centurion...with a 1800 budget....

towely

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

Don't wait for Vista - you do not want to be the one to troubleshoot it for miscrosoft.

Also, the only way to buy a computer that is "future proof" is to...not ever buy a computer.

Now is a good a time to buy as ever. Life's too short to spend waiting.

yesbigant

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Just for the record, I'm 22 as DeusEx wondered.

Responding to shadowduck and the upcoming changes in the AMD realm, I thought that AM2 was just a bandaid before the they rolled out their answer to core2? I forget the codename behind it, it would include FBDIMM memory and quad-core, etc. (K8L might be the name???) Wouldn't buying AM2 products be a waste of money as far as upgrades are concerned?

Thanks to all the responders, the information is invaluable.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Just for the record, I'm 22 as DeusEx wondered.

Responding to shadowduck and the upcoming changes in the AMD realm, I thought that AM2 was just a bandaid before the they rolled out their answer to core2? I forget the codename behind it, it would include FBDIMM memory and quad-core, etc. (K8L might be the name???) Wouldn't buying AM2 products be a waste of money as far as upgrades are concerned?

Thanks to all the responders, the information is invaluable.

AM2 will be around until at least 2008, and AMD as said AM3 processors will work on AM2 motherboards. DDR3 Memory will not availabe in this case, but it will still work. AM2 is not going away anytime soon.