Permissions problem

DC

I have a permissions situation. I am and old NetWare
guru, and relatively new to the Windows Server 2000/2003
permissions world. This is what I am having a problem
with.

We have a Marketing share on one of our servers that all
users in the Marketing Group have access to. The share
permissions are Read and Change enabled. The security
tab has Read & Execute, List Folder Contents, and Read
rights checked under the same directory Marketing.

Then under the Marketing directory, we have the
BusinessDevelopmentGroup directory, which contains
several subdirectories under this directory. My dilemma
is that I want to give rights to only 2 directories under
this directory. For example, I have directories A thru
Z, but only want to give a few people access to
directories C & D. How then, shall I do this? If I give
people permissions to directories C and D exclusively,
then they have to map directly to these directories which
I don't want to have to add a separate mapping for this
purpose.

Ideally, I would like to give them a mapping to the
Marketing directory, and have them able to see these 2
directories only in the Business Development directory.
Any ideas?

Here is the directory structure:

c:\Marketing ("Share level"- Read and Change
enabled. "NTFS permissions"-Read&Exec,List
FolderContents, Read)
Business Development (no rights have been given
to the users that need access to Directories C and D)
C (Give access here.)
D (Give access here.)

Bottom line: Is there a way to map to the marketing
share/directory and be able to see directories C and D
without the need for specific mapping(s) to directories C
and D?

Thanks!!

Anders

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2004

> Bottom line: Is there a way to map to the marketing
> share/directory and be able to see directories C and D
> without the need for specific mapping(s) to directories C
> and D?

Yes, it is possible, but AFAIK it requires that you
set permissions on the BusinessDevelopmentGroup
so these users can only view the folder contents (ie. directory listing)
but not letting them open folders and files.

However, this is not a path you want to go down, as you'll quickly
be stuck in a swamp of complicated permissions settings that will
be very error prone.

Keep it simple: either move folders C and D elsewhere,
or use that extra mapping.

Cheers,
Anders :)