Can anyone walk a 1st time builder thru case wires

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
All my components are in and now comes the tricky part--all the wiring. My mobo is the Gigabyte 965p-ds3. I have a thermaltake 500w pure power psu. My case is the Aerocool ExtremEngine 3T which has 3 dial fan controls to control 3 fans, 2 USB ports, ear l and ear r wires. it also has mic data and mic vc, and ground wire. The case also has a power sw, power led, reset and hdd light wires.

My system has

Gigabyte 965p-DS3
e6300 retail
2 SATAII 250GB 16cache 3gb/s HDD's
Lightscribe x16 DVD-RW-R
floppy drive
soundblaster x-fi XM
Saphirre x1900xtx

Does the IDE cable for the DVD drive have to go in a certain way or there is a pin#1? Is it just a ide cable and plug from PSU to activate dvd drive?

FDD connector also has to go in a certain way or either way is ok? Floppy only gets the FDD cable and psu plug?

The HDD's get the SATA cable (red) and the PSU sata plug? thats it?

Video only gets pcie power plug, thats it?

soundcard gets nothing?

Can someone look at the manual on pdf file. Its on the gigabyte website for 965p-DS3 and please help me attach the case wires correctly, i dont want to mess it up. I dont want to reverse the plug. Ive supplied the link for my case and my mobo. If anyone can give me clear and easy instructions to put the case and fan plugs in, I would appreciate it greatly.
And to also make sure Im right in connecting PSU plugs and mobo wires to peripherals.

http://www.aerocool.us/p-case/extremengine3t/extremengine3t.htm

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Manual_Model.aspx?ProductID=2314

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
All my components are in and now comes the tricky part--all the wiring. My mobo is the Gigabyte 965p-ds3. I have a thermaltake 500w pure power psu. My case is the Aerocool ExtremEngine 3T which has 3 dial fan controls to control 3 fans, 2 USB ports, ear l and ear r wires. it also has mic data and mic vc, and ground wire. The case also has a power sw, power led, reset and hdd light wires.

My system has

Gigabyte 965p-DS3
e6300 retail
2 SATAII 250GB 16cache 3gb/s HDD's
Lightscribe x16 DVD-RW-R
floppy drive
soundblaster x-fi XM
Saphirre x1900xtx

Does the IDE cable for the DVD drive have to go in a certain way or there is a pin#1? Is it just a ide cable and plug from PSU to activate dvd drive?

FDD connector also has to go in a certain way or either way is ok? Floppy only gets the FDD cable and psu plug?

The HDD's get the SATA cable (red) and the PSU sata plug? thats it?

Video only gets pcie power plug, thats it?

soundcard gets nothing?

Can someone look at the manual on pdf file. Its on the gigabyte website for 965p-DS3 and please help me attach the case wires correctly, i dont want to mess it up. I dont want to reverse the plug. Ive supplied the link for my case and my mobo. If anyone can give me clear and easy instructions to put the case and fan plugs in, I would appreciate it greatly.
And to also make sure Im right in connecting PSU plugs and mobo wires to peripherals.

http://www.aerocool.us/p-case/extremengine3t/extremengine3t.htm

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Manual_Model.aspx?ProductID=2314

IDE cable should be keyed. IE it should only be able to go in one way at both ends :) If it's not. Just put it in. If the drive doesn't work then flip it around. I'd be extremely surprised if it's not keyed though. You don't need the audio cable on the optical drive.

FDD same deal

SATA drives. One data cable (red in your case) and one plug from the PSU. SATA cables can come in many different colours btw :)

Videocard gets the PCI-E plug. Just make sure you have the right end plugged into your video card if you have a modular PSU because the plugs are both the same but the pins are different.

As I said on your other thread the power switch and reset switch aren't fussy about polarity. The HDD and power LED's are. But you're not going to blow your PC up if you put them in the wrong way. Just flip them if you get it wrong :)

The USB and front panel audio are something which you kind of need to be there for. I have enough problems visualising where front panel connections go when the PC's in front of me let alone on someone elses desk. If you're unsure..... get a friend to help with those particular ones.

Oh and your soundcard just goes in the PCI slot and that's it :)