Sign in with
Your question

x1900xtx vpu recovery issue

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 29, 2006 3:07:47 AM

after ive been playing any game for more than a few minutes, the VPU recovery console comes up from ati ccc wanting me to report the error to ati.i have latest drivers for everything, including motherboard, and the fan is working on my card. it comes at different times during different games which makes me think its an overheating problem, but im dumbfounded by this one. uninstalled and reinstalled all video drivers just to make sure, and ive been using it without problems for several weeks.

athlon 64 4000 san diego
dfi lanparty ut 3200cf
550w psu antec neo he
2gb kingston value select ram
2x74gb WD Raptors in raid 0
sapphire radeon x1900xtx not overclocked

any suggestions?
August 29, 2006 3:51:54 AM

Download ATI Tool and check your temps...Run windowed if you can so you can check it faster (before the GPU has time to cool down.) Everest will also let you check GPU temps with a history graph.

I serious doubt it's heat. I had my fans turned down to minimal with another proggy (ATI Tray Tools) and forgot to turn them back on auto when I went into a game...A popup came up and Catalyst said it downclocked my GPU because temps were getting dangerous. That is, if you're running CCC.

If it's not heat and the rest of your system is fine, just RMA that sucker.
August 29, 2006 4:59:49 AM

Im having a very similar problem with my Sapphire X1900XTX. Only, it doesn't happen all the time, but everyonce in awhile it does that for no good reason, seemingly. I checked temps and its all fine. It happened in 2D mode once. That really confused me. Maybe its a problem with the sapphire's... tho i haven't heard of it b4.
Related resources
August 29, 2006 5:16:02 AM

maybe ill just rma it if it continues, though id hate to be without a computer for that long :(  i scaled back my cpu to stock settings to see if that will work but havent tried it yet. if not, guess ill send it back. ill check some others out too, thanks for your suggestions!
August 29, 2006 5:40:47 AM

Quote:
Im having a very similar problem with my Sapphire X1900XTX. Only, it doesn't happen all the time, but everyonce in awhile it does that for no good reason, seemingly. I checked temps and its all fine. It happened in 2D mode once. That really confused me. Maybe its a problem with the sapphire's... tho i haven't heard of it b4.

Ok, now you've heard of it. I bought a Sapphire X1900XTX and have had sporatic troubles with it. So far, its has crashed out every time I've tried to use the ATI Tools, but runs Catalyst Control Center just fine. I haven't been able to overclock it much. The temps run in the low 40's, so they aren't a problem.

I was thinking that it was just the combination of parts that I had in my computer, but now that I see you're having problems with a Sapphire, I'm set to wondering. The ATI based cards I've bought in the past were all ATI branded and I never had a problem with them. Maybe I'll just buy an ATI card by ATI next time.
August 29, 2006 5:55:11 AM

Quote:
after ive been playing any game for more than a few minutes, the VPU recovery console comes up from ati ccc wanting me to report the error to ati.i have latest drivers for everything, including motherboard, and the fan is working on my card. it comes at different times during different games which makes me think its an overheating problem, but im dumbfounded by this one. uninstalled and reinstalled all video drivers just to make sure, and ive been using it without problems for several weeks.

athlon 64 4000 san diego
dfi lanparty ut 3200cf
550w psu antec neo he
2gb kingston value select ram
2x74gb WD Raptors in raid 0
sapphire radeon x1900xtx not overclocked

any suggestions?

as stated download ati tool and use the fan control option to keep your gpu close to 70c or set up the fan speeds to the % you choose.

in catalyst control center you can dissable the error report or vpu recovery if you feel its a false report.
August 29, 2006 7:56:42 PM

Quote:

Ok, now you've heard of it. I bought a Sapphire X1900XTX and have had sporatic troubles with it. So far, its has crashed out every time I've tried to use the ATI Tools, but runs Catalyst Control Center just fine. I haven't been able to overclock it much. The temps run in the low 40's, so they aren't a problem.

I was thinking that it was just the combination of parts that I had in my computer, but now that I see you're having problems with a Sapphire, I'm set to wondering. The ATI based cards I've bought in the past were all ATI branded and I never had a problem with them. Maybe I'll just buy an ATI card by ATI next time.

Ya, mine crashes when I try to use ATI Tools as well. There must be a problem with the Sapphires.... well I know what brand im not buying next time i upgrade.
September 7, 2006 1:34:50 PM

hi new here... I have an ATI X1900 xtx and I am experiencing the same problems as you have...a lot of VPU recover 2-3 min after starting a 3d application...

first time I have so much problems with a video card...and I had a few! I just wish now I had not sold my HIS x800xl to go back to it....

first the card is not OC...and has never been... the card is not overheating I am running atitools and the temperature is barely reaching 70c under full load (45c at idle)... unless the atitools is not reliable...i do not think it is overheating

I am running the ATI 6.7 right now....I tried the 6.8 with no success...I tried the Nforce4 fix with no success... I used DriverCleaner to clean old video drivers...no success...

I decided to update the bios to 1016 and the chipset drivers to 6.65....and it is worse than ever..before I could play 10min...now 2-3 min and VPU recover...

If I turn off vpu recover...the PC just freeze....

I have a good setup

3500+
asus a8n-sli dlx (bios 1016, drivers 6.65)
enermax 620w liberty (so plenty of power...)
2gb Corsair pc3200c2
2 sata hd (seagate)
ati x1900 xtx..stock cooler and settings
Dell 2005FPW LCD
Thermaltake case (good flow 7 fans)
running win xp sp2

I am really out of ideas here... :x I think it could be a problem of compatibility with the a8n...bu tI have seen people running xtx cards on those without problems...

so nay help would be appreciated! :wink:
September 7, 2006 3:48:14 PM

the only thing i found that would fix it is to clock back my cpu which was overclocked. that has nothing to do with the video card, but it worked and no VPU recovery since. if your cpu isnt overclocked, i cant help you.
September 14, 2006 5:47:48 AM

i dont think its saphire , i have Gigabyte card and it does the same , i will check to see if my cpu is not overclocked but im sure its not overclocked .

the problem is related to power according to a good guy in your forums and today im trying another psu , if this will solve the problem i will reply here and tell u the results !!

Cheers
September 16, 2006 12:16:44 AM

I get the same exact VPU recovery problem with my x1900xtx!!!!!
Mine is sapphire, and I have absolutely no idea how to fix it.
In 6.7 drivers it would pop up more. Now in 6.8 I get the same game freezing but it doesnt pop up as much.

Has anyone been able to fix it? Its driving me nuts because I can only game in regular mode, as it happens when I enable crossfire (xtx is slave card), and it was very exspensive.

I have already RMA'd it and the replacement card does the exact same thing.

Also, I HIGHLY DOUBT that this is a power problem.
I have an 850 watt PSU from PC power and cooling. Its the second best PSU you can buy (next to the 1kw PSU), its brand new. Theres no way it is the PSU causing this.

EDIT:
I had my CPU overclocked. I put all settings back to default. IT STILL HAPPENS. Having the CPU overclocked is not causing this problem.
!