Sign in with
Your question

100W PSU here - impossible to upgrade to new GPU?

Last response: in Components
August 29, 2006 3:16:19 AM

System:

AMD Athlon XP 2700+
1g Kingston PC2700
PNY GeForce FX5200
80g HDD
100W PSU

By all PSU calculators I can find my system shouldn't even be able to operate without 200+ watts, but it's been stable for years now. Anyway, my question is this: is there any way in hell I could upgrade to a new AGP card such as the 7600GS without a new PSU?
August 29, 2006 3:23:45 AM

HAHAHA :) 
August 29, 2006 3:35:38 AM

Quote:
HAHAHA :) 

That wasn't very helpful.
Related resources
August 29, 2006 3:59:02 AM

Ill be helpful, no...sadly you'll need to get a new psu if you want a better video card.

But why get a new psu for a directx 9 card...when dx10 is coming in a month

Dx10 waaayyy better, have you seen crysis?

DX10 is vista only as well....wont work with xp....so you might as well save up and build a new system.

But seriously...why get a new psu when they are gonna stop making agp cards with the intro to dx10...and windows vista.....so youll need to get an entirely new system (power supply...new operating system....a new pci16x compatible motherboard.....which will mean youll need a new processor and a new video card...at least you can still use u memory)...your looking to spend around...$1600 minimum for a decent rig.....operating system alone(for aero glass effect and dx10) will cost you over $500....

This is the moment in history....where we take a huge leap foward...and anyone who stays behind...is like the amish. You either save up and get a dx10 rig or your s.o.l....my 2cents
August 29, 2006 4:20:18 AM

I'm amazed that that system runs on a 100W PSU. Anyways, don't bother upgrading that crap; just save your money for a whole new system once Vista/DX10 come out.
August 29, 2006 5:09:45 AM

Ok are you ready for some practical advice? Im not going to tell you to build a whole new system. Unless you have the money to, then its a great idea... but I figure your trying to upgrade without breaking the bank. What I suggest is that you find something around 400watts minimum to power that card. Theres just no way you should be running that computer on 100watts. If you put that videocard in your system its going to crash and dramaticly catch fire! Your just going to have to spend the money on a new PSU. Theres no way around it.

Really your system is just not ready for new hardware and your going to need to upgrade to a new platform soon. But if your looking for a quick fix to playing the newest games then get that videocard and a PSU and things should work out for you! GoodLuck!
August 29, 2006 5:18:46 AM

Are you sure that your psu is only 100watts???? What brand is the computer if you didn't build it yourself? I only ask because I have an ancient compaq running a 333mhz celeron that has a stock 150watt power supply and I find it difficult to believe your system would start up, let alone run on that psu(or pos)!
August 29, 2006 6:13:17 AM

A friend built it for me. The brand and model of the PSU is Power Man HP-A1463F5. A quick google of that shows that it's 100W, and the only wattage I can find on the label says "not to exceed 100W". I thought it was odd that I was running on only 100W as well.
August 29, 2006 6:30:58 AM

Well, like most of us here said, in the nicest way possible "The best thing you could do right now....is deal with the system you have for now and save enough money for a new build"

Thats honestly the best way to go.
In just a short time...so much has changed

Last year we we saw pci-e come out
Sata is more standard now
Dual cores are the "new thing" with quad cores coming early next year
DDR2 memory all the way from your 333mhz now up to 1111mhz
Dual gpu's (crossfire or sli) physics configs coming soon
Bigger hardrives for cheaper (you can get a 320gig seagate for $95, and it features the new perpindicular recording technology)
Better sound cards.

and now we have
Vista coming out
DX10 coming out

I'll be honest with you. I know its time to upgrade.
Currently im using a 5 year old computer too...with a recent video card ....and im saving $3000 for a new computer.

I've got:
Asus A7NX8 (ver2.0) mobo
AMD Athlon xp2500+ (barton) overclocked from 1.83 to 2.24
2x 256mb Komusa hyper ram (dual channel) set with agressive timings
512mb Geil pc3200 set with agressive timings
2x 40gig wd hard drives (80 gig, no raid config)
ATI Radeon x850xt
480watt psu

Your system is just as good as mine with the exception of the video card.
So, save your money, pench your pennies and get a new rig.
August 29, 2006 6:37:23 AM

Quote:
Ill be helpful, no...sadly you'll need to get a new psu if you want a better video card.

But why get a new psu for a directx 9 card...when dx10 is coming in a month

Dx10 waaayyy better, have you seen crysis?

DX10 is vista only as well....wont work with xp....so you might as well save up and build a new system.

But seriously...why get a new psu when they are gonna stop making agp cards with the intro to dx10...and windows vista.....so youll need to get an entirely new system (power supply...new operating system....a new pci16x compatible motherboard.....which will mean youll need a new processor and a new video card...at least you can still use u memory)...your looking to spend around...$1600 minimum for a decent rig.....operating system alone(for aero glass effect and dx10) will cost you over $500....

This is the moment in history....where we take a huge leap foward...and anyone who stays behind...is like the amish. You either save up and get a dx10 rig or your s.o.l....my 2cents

As far as I can remember Crysis was run on an x1900xtx so no one knows what it will look like on DX10.
August 29, 2006 6:46:54 AM

I'd be careful adding an LED even; it might be the straw to break your 100W PSU's back. :tongue:
August 29, 2006 7:10:05 AM

Maybe it has strong rails (for a 100W :p  ) and thats whats keeping it going.
August 29, 2006 7:44:43 AM

but seriously guys, i find it hard to believe his (or is it her¿) pc can pos wit 100W psu.I live in a country where apacer/kingston kvs/corsair vs ram cwere reserveded 4 those who hav a bit deep pocket, others would settle wit no-name-f*/#*-generic ram/mobo.only this svrl years higher quality mobo/gfx card/ram (read:kvs/cvs/n hyperx at svrl big cities) are gaining momentum...so for this whole, we all live wit cheap pc wit cheapo components, but all i can remember is,none of em use dat low psu, even cyrix MII use at least 150w or 200w.the point is, i dun believe what the sticker on da psu says.....

p/s: :oops:  Sorry 4 da long, not-so-helping comment, but i just cannot help expressing myself :lol: 
!