Need advice: Selling my computer!

random_foxx

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
I have a very swanky computer, but my checkbook is very red. I need to sell it, to pay for things like tuition and pizza. I need advice: Would I be better off selling it in its whole on eBay, or selling it part by part?

Here is what I've got:

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 2000MHz HT Socket 939 Processor

HIS Hightech H190XTX512DVN Radeon X1900XTX 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Motherboard

Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive

HITACHI Deskstar 7K250 HDS722512VLSA80 (13G0253) 120GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive (Two of these HDs - RAID SETUP)

CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model TWINX1024-3200XLPT

Rosewill R710E Black 17" 16ms LCD Monitor

Thermaltake W0057 PurePower ATX 12V 2.0 500W Power Supply

Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000BWA Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

NEC Black 1.44MB Floppy

LITE-ON 16X DVD+R DVD Burner (Dual layer)

As you can see, this is a really nice PC. But I'm afraid that if I sell it all at once on eBay, the buyer won't give me what it is worth as he won't see all the super nice parts like the X1900XTX. Plus, shipping for the whole thing together wouldn't be cheap.

Any advice? Anyone done this before? Is it better to just sell together? Better yet, anyone on here want to make me an offer? If nothing else, advice would be GREAT!

zeroyb

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2001
Asking for a sales tip on a tech forum seems kinda odd... Anyway, selling it as parts could potentially get you more money, but it'll be more time consuming and you might get stuck with a few parts no one wants to buy. Selling it as a whole will be easier for you, but you probably won't get as much money since package deals are usually priced more competitively.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
eBay, and peice by peice. You probably won't get so much for parts like the hard drive as you would expect, but the graphics card should command a fairly hefty wedge.

qwertycopter

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
Bundle the CPU and Mobo. Make the shipping charge higher than what it will cost. If anyone asks call it a premium for the "convenience of bundling compatible parts."

The GPU should fetch a nice amount on its own, as should the raptor and the RAM.

Bundle the case and PSU as one. You can charge a larger shipping fee on this than it costs. If any asks it is a handling fee for bulky parts.

Bundle the two Hitachi drives as one. Ramp up that shipping charge. Handling fee or whatever :twisted: Call it "RAID 0 Ready" 8O

Bundle the floppy with the with the DVD burner. It won't sell on its own. You probably won't make much money from this auction. Oh well, these items sell for cheap brand new.

Oh, you guessed it. Ramp up the shipping charge on that monitor. LOL!

Oh, and if you do all of this, I'm gonna avoid your auctions you dirty person with your dirty ethics. Your price gouging makes me sick :eek: :lol:

random_foxx

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
To those who gave me advice: thank you.

To those who told me to get a job: ouch, I might cry. lol.

Think I'll peice it apart on eBay. Sounds like the best way to liquidate the cash hidden up inside that beast! :) Not using it much anymore anyways, I've got a laptop that goes everywhere with me now.

Again, thanks.

zornundo

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Onother thing you will see on ebay are the paople who are starting say a video card at $5 but there shipping is $50+. this helps to insure you will get at least what you want for the item. Alot of people don't pay attention to shipping cost when they place a bid.

A few weeks back there was a buy selling a 7900 GT with a buy it now price like $10 and a shipping cost over $200. Needless to say, it didn't sell. There is a link to report excessive shipping charges because it violates eBay's listing policy.

random_foxx

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Well, I just paid around $2000 for tuition, and around $500 for school books. I have a full time job (and one part time one), but I could use the extra cash flow right now. I'm looking at some homes and need $ for a down payment, and also needing some cash for an engagement ring.

But the need for cash is secondary: I have this great system collecting dust in my basement. If I get a total of around $700, then that's $700 more value then I'm getting out of a high-tech paperweight.

Don't get me wrong, I love computers. However, I've still got three other systems in the house, and my main computer is a dual core laptop. I don't -need- OR -want- the system anymore.

Not like I can't survive w/out selling the system, but I could put the money to better use than I can the computer.

Sagboy

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
Ill buy the video card from you, how much you looking for it? And if you will sell it how much use and how old is it?

Sagboy

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
Eh, lowest price on newegg is 315 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102025, and thats brand new. I understand your trying to get the most money out of your stuff but saving 25 bucks is nothing when it comes to buying something brand new.

Not even going to mention the xt that is on sale for 235 after 100 rebate, but that one isnt in stock unfortunatly.

Let me know man, Ill talk reasonable price to take it off your hands tonight.
Lol just realize its an xtx not an xt. Sorry about that. Well xtx is kinda a bad buy anyways, seeing as you can easily OC the xt to xtx speeds and save yourself 50 bucks. Your call if you wanna talk price though

random_foxx

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Eh, it's on eBay, so I'll just leave it there. If 'ya want to, feel free to bid. Or click the link and check out the other items I'm selling, there is a bunch of 'em (and growing).

towely

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
You'll become a towely-ban soon if you keep posting spam.

I'm sure ALL 30 000 of your posts are 100% on-topic, hmmm?

Anyway, that was a legitimate offer. Where I come from, 50 cents is equal to 1500 american dollars.

little_scrapper

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
You can only sell your shiz once. What are you going to do once you blow the money you get from selling the components? :roll:

He's going to steal yet another computer! Yea EBAY fosho, I dont see anything in your list that wont sell as long as you be sure to let people know that your selling cause you need money and that everything works perfectly. Then the starting price is important. The things that may NOT sell well start low to get the ball rolling. The MOBO, CPU, Vid are high ticket. Your starting point should be just a tab below the minimum you are willing to accept. Dont forget the buy it now. Put a fair buy it now price and you may get money immediately. Anyone who did a buy it now on my ebays always paid immetiately. Then with a paypal transfer to my bank I had funds available the next day usually. One last tip, the things that WILL sell. Its not necessary to do a 7 day auction, 3 should do. List everything to have the auction end around 5-7pm on sundays. Cause everyone is home and looking.

random_foxx

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
All good tips. So far, my display was picked up w/ buy it now, and the other parts are starting to get bids. I'm up to around $300 made with shipping so far, minus of course the actual costs of shipping, paypal and ebay fees. I'd say my profit potential looks good. I imagine most bids will come in near the end of the auction, not sure why anyone would bid five days in advance, it'll only end up being outbid later.

asjt3

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2006
I bought this card for Oblivion. It smoked it, running it in full res, with all options turned on. I nearly died when I saw it (you may want to check your life insurance policy).

Nice. 8)

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
I think that you can sell it for more if you sell it in parts, but that way you will not have your money at once. Not everybody needs everything you have. If someone want to buy second hand computer, will ask for more discount.
You can try to sell it at once for an acceptable price fot you. If there is no responce, than try selling it in parts.