The AM2 X2 Overclocking thread, advice,questions,benchmarks

BrockSampson

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Hello everyone I just recently built a system around the X2 3800+ Socket AM2. The goal of this thread is to help everyone out there with their AM2 overclocking. I am also new to overclocking and this new platform and I have many questions myself. I want to thank everyone in advance. I would also like to say that what I have working is unique to me and not everyone is going to get the same results I have. I would also like to ask posters to refrain from flaming me because I am only out to help people and get help for myself. Thank you.

This is my first attempt to go dualcore and I am amazed at the potential of this processor. It is truely the enthusiast's dream CPU. I bought the CPU a few days after the price dropped happened and I picked it up for around $160 after shipping. Here is the list of parts I used to build my computer.

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 3800+ Windsor
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-M59SLI-S5 AM2
Graphics card: eVGA 7900GT KO 256mb
Memory: Patriot eXtreme Performance 1GB DDR2 800
- cas. 4-4-4-12
PowerSupply: KINGWIN ABT-600MA1 600w Modular PS
Case: GIGABYTE 3D AURORA
GPU Cooling: ZALMAN VF900 - CU 2
CPU Cooling: ZALMAN CNPS 9500 AM2
HardDrive: Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB
OpticalDrive: NEC 16X DVD+-R Burner

My Current OverClocks:

CPU:
Voltage: 1.425v
Core Speed: 2388.3 MHz
Multiplier: X 10.0
Bus Speed: 240.0

RAM:
Frequency: 398.1
CAS Latency: 5.0 clocks
Voltage: +0.2
NB-->SB HT Speed: 4x
NM<--SB HT Speed: 4x
Memory Clock: DDR 667

PCI-X:
Locked at 100 MHz
CPU Smart Fan Control -- Disabled

With these settings I have had a perfect cool running overclock to 2.4GHz.
Based off recomendations from people throught the TG Forums I was able to accomplish the overclock but I have a few questions.

The only way to keep my memory from frying itself was to change the memory clock from DDR800 down to DDR667. This proved to be perfect for an overclock to 2.4GHz. My frequency is currently at the above noted 398.1 and with DDR2 you multiply that by two and I nearly have DDR800, atleast thats how i think it works. So I thought everything was going great until I realized my Cas. Latency is now 5.0... I have Cas. 4.0 ram. What happened here? I know I could go in and manually change it thanks to a multitude of overcocking settings in my BIOS, but my question is... is that safe? Did the Cas. latency get raised automaticly to prevent my ram from becoming damaged? If anyone has any infromation about this I would love to hear it.

My next question is what the hell is "NB-->SB HT Speed" and "NM<--SB HT Speed" I figured this is the HT ratio that has been talked about so I dropped both directions down to 4x. I figured that instead of just one setting the Gigabyte board is allowing me to manage the speeds of both directions. If anyone could clarify this that would be awesome.

I would also like to know if anyone notices any settings I might have misunderstood and should change. I am open for any advice.

Now I have compiled a list of temperatures and OC numbers I used to compile some before and after data. Now this is not the most accurate test but this is how i tested:
--To test IDLE temp. I started up the computer and let it sit there for 15 minutes. After which I would take my GPU and CPU temps.
--To test LOAD temp. I ran 3DMark06 and immidiately after the last test was ran I used NVidia advanced settings and EasyTune to get my current GPU and CPU settings. Here are the compiled results:

**Please note that I didnt take as many temp readings as I should have but I wanted only accurate results so if I happened to be away from my computer when 3DMark finished then I didnt record the temp readings. Sorry****

Temps baseline. CPU OverClock: 2.14GHz GPU: Stock
IDLE LOAD
CPU: 35C 50C
GPU: 49C 57C

Temps after new ZALMAN HSF setup CPU OverClock: 2.38GHz GPU: stock
IDLE LOAD
CPU: 32C 40C
GPU: 45C 50C

I couldnt believe the readings either. The CPU temp drops were amazing and I believe the ZALMAN AM2 CPU cooler is worth every penny, I dont care what anyone else says.

3DMARK06 Scores:

Stock Cooling:
CPU OverClock: 2.1GHz GPU OverClock: Stock
SM2.0 Score: 2179
HDR/SM3.0 Score: 2223
CPU Score: 1538
TOTAL: 5168

CPU OverClock: 2.2ghz GPU OverClock: 540/691
SM2.0 Score: 2331
HDR/SM3.0 Score: 2352
CPU Score: 1648
TOTAL: 5506

After ZALMAN HSF Setup:
CPU OverClock: 2.38GHz GPU OverClock: Stock
SM2.0 Score: 2220
HDR/SM3.0 Score: 2296
CPU Score: 1775
TOTAL: 5424

CPU OverClock: 2.38ghz GPU OverClock: 552/809
SM2.0 Score: 2445
HDR/SM3.0 Score: 2517
CPU Score: 1750
TOTAL: 5837

So here is most of the data I have compiled on my system. I would kill to get any advice to make my system more stable. I am also looking to push my CPU to 2.6GHz and meet X2 5000+ speeds. All on air cooling. If I can achieve that goal I will be floored, because the newegg.com price for the X2 5000+ is $759.00 my X2 3800+ was $160.00. This is why I mod. Feel free to send me a PM if you have a question.

Also a bit of advice to anyone that owns the same MB I have. If you cant find the advanced memory settings you need to press either ctrl+shit+F1 or alt+shift+F1 to unlock the CMOS settings catagory. You wouldnt believe how long it took me to figure that out. Last I heard F11 was the magic key!

Thanks again and I am looking forward to responses to my thread!

BrockSampson

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I am currently reporting a CPU max Load temp of 50C - 52C. I found a good CPU testing program called Prime95. The one problem is that its only running on 1 of the cores. So im assuming this program doesnt support multi threading and is limited to the power of a single core. I am getting these temperatures from Easy Tune 5 which sucks in my opinion, but oh well.

I am going to run Prime95 to test my 2.4GHz overclock and make sure it stays stable. Wish me luck and hope I dont want up to the smell of smoke or even worse wake up to my room burning down :wink: haha just kidding, I will report the results tomorrow.

australia

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2006
you have to run to instances of prime 95. Create 2 folders for it and run both of them at the same time so it runs on both cores

You're either using an old version of prime95 or haven't read the readme file. You do not need to install to two directories, just run it with the -A command line option.

Taken from the readme file (this works fine for me):
9) -A switch added. This allows you to run multiple copies of prime95
from the same directory. This is useful on multi-processor machines.

Raeven_Zero

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
I run a 4000+, which at stock speeds is the same as a 3800+ but has 2 MB of cache. Last night I was able to push it up to 2.5Ghz with an HT of x4 and ram at 667 is now at 832. I ran prime95 for 12 hours and didn't get any errors. I have an M55 board and i'm going to try your advanced options trick tonight. I think that I can push this thing up to 2.6 easy......with the 2mb of cache that would make this......A 5200+.....or some poop like that. Also, my new enermax psu just arrived today, so i'm sure i can get a little better results.

BrockSampson

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Ok I didnt read the readme I am guilty of that. When I am out of class I will run it the right way before I go to sleep.

Raeven_Zero I wish I had the 4000+ but the prices were just to high. Having double the cache would be nice. But either way you shouldnt have any trouble getting to the right settings on your M55 it should be exactly the same as mine. The trick is to keep your ram at a safe level. Goodluck and let me know if you get to 2.6 because then your getting into FX-60 or FX-62 territory and thats awesome!

AMDKnightmare

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
The only way to keep my memory from frying itself was to change the memory clock from DDR800 down to DDR667. This proved to be perfect for an overclock to 2.4GHz. My frequency is currently at the above noted 398.1 and with DDR2 you multiply that by two and I nearly have DDR800, atleast thats how i think it works. So I thought everything was going great until I realized my Cas. Latency is now 5.0... I have Cas. 4.0 ram. What happened here? I know I could go in and manually change it thanks to a multitude of overcocking settings in my BIOS, but my question is... is that safe? Did the Cas. latency get raised automaticly to prevent my ram from becoming damaged? If anyone has any infromation about this I would love to hear it.

I ran 250x10 1/1 at 4-4-4-12 2T at 2.3V stable. I've heard of people running 4-4-4-8 2T at 2.4V. Make sure you disable EPP an any auto memory settings. You will also have to set the timings manually (At least had to on my ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe).

My next question is what the hell is "NB-->SB HT Speed" and "NM<--SB HT Speed" I figured this is the HT ratio that has been talked about so I dropped both directions down to 4x. I figured that instead of just one setting the Gigabyte board is allowing me to manage the speeds of both directions. If anyone could clarify this that would be awesome.

Set the CPU-->NB at 4x or lower. But you can leave the others at 5x as long as you have the NB-->SB frequency locked at 200Mhz.

Raeven_Zero

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
Oh yeah, last night I got my 4000+ up to 2.6 buy using the key combination in the bios to unlock more features. I have the core at 1.5 volts and it ran 2xPrime95 for 9 1/2 hours without a single error. The ram is set to 667 which bumped it up to a total of 866 I believe and I had to take it's voltage up to 2.1...it is at CAS 5 but it benches better. The HT link is at x4 which sets it at 1040, I went ahead and put +.3 volts into that as well. My 7600GT's are now running at 635/765.

SUMMARY:
CPU: Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Stock: 2Ghz 1.35v Current: 2.6Ghz 1.5v w/ CNPS9500 19C idle 42C max (room gets warm during the day 78F min 90F max)

RAM: XMS2 ddr2-800 Stock: 400Mhz 1.9v Current: Dropped to 667 standard and brought up with CPU to 866Mhz @ 2.1v

HT Link: Stock: 1000Mhz @ FSB 200Mhz x 5 Current: 1040Mhz @ FSB 260Mhz x4 (+.3v)

7600GT SLi Setup: Stock: 560/700(1400) Current: 635/765(1535) with (2x)Arctic Cooling NV5R3 and some creative copper filing with a leatherman.

I have some cheap JPAC case with a 500w Enermax Liberty.

Fans include: 1x120mm intake for SATA drives. 1x120mm Scythe bay cooler intake. 1x80mm side panel. 2x80mm back exhaust. 1x120mm PSU exhaust. 2x~70mm exhaust on GPU's. 1xCNPS9500 for CPU(the SATA fan is inducted into the GPU fans for exhaust and front bay fan pushes through CPU fan and then out the 2xexhaust fans.....all heatsinks are seated with ARCTIC SILVER 5)

I think I could push it a little further but why? I'm happy....I think....maybe......I don't know.... I still get the urge to push everything a little more nomatter what. Anyway, I hope this can help someone out that has a similar setup with a 3800+ or a 4000+.

AMDKnightmare

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
Here's my best so far. 6 hrs Prime stable. I'm sure this thing will hit 2.9 if I can figure out the Advance OC options on my M2N32-SLI Deluxe. I just don't understand some of the voltage options yet. I't running 32C idle and 48 load with Zalman 9500 @ 1.45V. Still waiting for the AS5 to burn in though. Couple of days...temps should be even lower. Whoohoo!!!!!!!

BrockSampson

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Wow thats insane man! Congrats on such a good overclock...thats something like 35 - 40% overclock, its ohmost 2 am so im not really interested in doing the math! lol but still thats an amazing overclock. What memory are you running and did you have to manually change the latencys to 4?

Raeven_Zero

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
I was able to get 2.73 on my 4000+ X2 last night. I can't get it to completely boot at any higher speeds. It will start post but restart during IDE detection. I'm stuck here nomatter what voltage I use. I got it to boot a couple of times at 2.75 and it was stable, but the boot was hit and miss. It's still running cool. I think I'm stuck here even if I lower my RAM and my HT. I want to be sad but how can I? That's almost a 37% increase. I can definitely see a difference....Windoze boots faster and games load faster, I haven't really been tracking framerates though. Anyway, if you get it much higher, you have to let me know your secrets. This baby's not even hot yet and is stable as hell according to P95.

AMDKnightmare

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
Wow thats insane man! Congrats on such a good overclock...thats something like 35 - 40% overclock, its ohmost 2 am so im not really interested in doing the math! lol but still thats an amazing overclock. What memory are you running and did you have to manually change the latencys to 4?

I'm running 2x1GB Corsair Xtreme PC6400 Cas4 (Non-Pro sticks) I had to manually set the timings. When I first put them in, SLI mode timed them at 4-4-4-15 becuase one of the sticks was messed up. I had to RMA the sticks back. On my second set now. I shut off SLI (EPP) on the memory and set everything myself (timings, voltage,....) except for the advanced options (My MB Bios has a whole page for advanced timings, delays and voltages for the memory).

BrockSampson

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
For right now the maximum stability for me is at 2.4. I can take it to 2.6 I just dont see the need to keep it there. 2.4 is solid, cool and error-free. Hell a 20% overclock isnt that bad on air cooling. I want to push my system further but I am just a little concerned.
A couple of side notes:

I got my ram back to cas. 4 and it showed in 3DMark, i am tired of listing scores and comparrisons because I dont know if anyone is finding them useful.

I got my second 7900GT. SLI is nice but I wouldnt recommend it to anyone quite yet. I am waiting to get a copy of Oblivion and run it on good settings. I want it to look better on my PC then the 360. I am a big Half-Life fan, and if you look at the video card charts you can see how much Gabe Newell and the Valve staff didnt thint it was important to utilize the hardware of a second graphics card... ugh oh well they still make an amazing game engine and games so Im not going to complain too much. I would like to see them take more advantage of SLI. But maybe im completely wrong and SLI jsut sucks, who knows... My scores SKYROCKETED in 3DMark06 to the mid 7000s which is nice, but really I would be more impressed to see a 33% gain in the frame rate of Episode 1, CSS, DODS, GuildWars... but really I never had any problem playing any of those games on MAX settings with a single 7900GT.... oh well from looking at the GPU charts I am going to need the second GPU for oblivion... when that eventually happens I am sure I wont regret getting SLI.

BrockSampson

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Ok well Ill post my new 3DMark06 Score now that I have SLI:

SM2.0 Score 3761
HDR/SM3.0 Score 3800
CPU Score: 1775

Thats with light overclocking of the videocards at...actually i just checked and they were running at the OEM 500/750 and the CPU was at 2.4GHZ and the 1GB of ram was at cas. 4 I would say thats quite impressive, what does everyone else think? Oh also take note that I had a download in the background going, 3DMark05, and the steam client was open... and antivirus in the background... i am sure if i tried really hard I could get a better score, but I am not too interested right now. Well let me know what you think guys, later!

BrockSampson

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Yeah I am a fool the total score for 3DMark06 mentioned above was 8082.. whoops... oh and what I find to be very interesting is that even tho I have Zalman VF900-Cu dual heatpipe GPU coolers on both videocards I am still seeing a big difference in GPU temp between the two cards... to be exact at idle the first one is running at 55C and the second one is at... 47C... which makes perfect sense now that I think about it... heat rises... the bottom card is going to stay cooler while the top card is getting the heat of the second one... oh well... what do you guys think of those temps? a little high? any suggestions to cool them down?

A_pretty_big_pigeon

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
Hi i am having problems with overclocking my CPU.

My system specs are as followed.

Asus Crosshair Motherboard
AMD X2 3800+
Leadtek 7900GT
1GB Corsair DDR2 XMs PC6400
Seasonic S12-600 Power Supply

Now i can overclock and boot windows fine with a 260x10, HT at 4x and memory untouched. But the problem occurs when i come to run a benchmark. I figured this was because the memory was not quick/powerful enough. But whenever i try to edit the memory setings my windows crashes or doesnt load. Is it possible for anyone to give me a guide on how to overclock the memory, with what settings to set all the bits, like the memory voltage etc. etc. so that i dont get these crashes. I also tried with a simple 10% to 2.2ghz and got the same problem.

Thanks if anyone can help

Colin

BrockSampson

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I am not sure if I understand what your saying, but if your asking if you should overclock your memory... thats probably not what you want to do. If i understand whats happening with your system, your memory is clocked too high. Try setting your memory to 667 instead of 800. You really need to turn your memory clock down or your system is going to have some stability problems. Your memory clock is increases as you increase your cpu clock. You can try that or add a VERY SMALL increase in voltage to the ram. If you read my very first post to this thread I started your going to see my exact settings for the memory config.. I am able to achieve a VERY STABLE 2.4ghz. I put all of my settings up there for people to reference if they are having a problem. if you having any more questions definatly post, and let me know if that fixes your problem! Goodluck!

AMDKnightmare

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
Your memory is fine. No way it's holding you back. Not sure why it won't run on 667Mhz divider. Do you have PCI locked? What voltages are you running on Vcore and Vdimm? Do you have Cas4 or Cas5?

AMDKnightmare

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
Ok. First turn the Vcore (CPU voltage) down to 1.4V This should get you to 2.6Ghz no problem. Anything higher on voltage an you're just running up temperatures. What are temps running at anyway? Are you adjusting setting from Windows using a program? Try to make any changes in the BIOS.

Time to find out you max memory clock. Lets start by lowering the the CPU multi to 9. Bring the HTT back to 200 and run the memory 1/1 at 800mhz. Set the timings 5-5-5-18 Now start raising the HTT. Start at 215 and raise it 5 until it won't post or boot to Windows. Let us know the results.

A_pretty_big_pigeon

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
Ok got the following. A stable clock to 2.4ghz

have htt at 267 with x9 multi. on ddr2 800

the 5-5-5-18 timings are my memorys default timings, but i set them manually anyway. im idleing at 37c and do all my changes in bios.

AMDKnightmare

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
Good! This puts your memory OC's at something like 1064 Mhz. Also I hope your HT multi is at 4x or less. Got to be or I doubt it would have posted. So your memory overclocks very good. But we should turn it down a little to get some extra life out of the DIMMS. Set you memory divider at 667Mhz and raise your HTT Mult (CPU Multi) back to 10. I recommend starting at HTT 230 and bring it back up in 5 Mhz increments. See if you can get over 250 on the HTT.

A_pretty_big_pigeon

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
Ok i did get it to 2.5ghz but it kept crashing in windows after a little while, so ive bought it back down to 2.4ghz 240x10. Ive got my memory at 667 so thats good. I figured out the reason i was having so many crashes before it was because id overclocked my graphics card so windows could not cope anymore. It boots fine with default settings. Which setting would most likely cause a blue screen dump? the core clock or memory clock, because then i can leave one as default and clock up the other. Every time my graphics card clocks too high i have to repair my windows so it knocks back to defaults? would there be an easier way to change the settings outside of windows if i get the blue screen dump again due to overclocking my graphics?
thanks if you can help on that, and cheers for the info on the CPU overclock, think i will stick with a nice stable 2.4!

AMDKnightmare

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
Ya. You should always overclock your CPU and memory first before touching the GPU. What are using to OC the graphics card. You didn't say what card you had. What settings on the card OC?

You probably could have got a little more out of your AMD OC with a voltage bump. But 2.4 is decent! Glad I could help out.