Can't Delete File with Overlong Name

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
July 5, 2004 5:23:02 PM

I dragged an address into my favorites list, and now I can't delete that link.

I get this message:

Cannot delete file. The filename you specified is invalis or too long. Specify a different filename.

I can't rename it either - I get the same message. THis is driving me nuts - I need to back up my Favorites folder, but can't because things freeze when this file is encountered.

Help!

More about : delete file overlong

Anonymous
July 6, 2004 3:12:32 PM

Hi, Lost.

I've never tried it in the Favorites folder, but the technique that USUALLY
works is to open a "DOS" window (Start | Accessories | Command prompt) and
use "DOS" commands to delete the file.

Navigate to the Favorites folder. Then type dir /x to list all the files.
The /x switch produces a list of Short File Names (SFN - also known as 8.3
filenames) in a column before the LFNs. Find the SFN for the URL you need.
Then use the del command with the SFN to delete the file.

As usual in a "DOS" window, type the command followed by /? to see a
mini-Help file showing all the switches available with that command. For
example: dir /?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA