Restart problem, is it vid card?

bReAkDoWnRT

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Before I reformatted, I got the blue screen of a death a lot whenever I ran certain programs, but after I reformatted, it fixed my blue screen of death. But now my computer seems to restart randomly? Is this a video card issue? If you know how I can fix this, it would be greatly appreciated. Heres my specs
2 GIG corsair xms
Nvidia 6600 gt 128 mb agp
Codegen 350 Watt Psu(From 2002)
120 GB Maxtor HD

megame255

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
Before I reformatted, I got the blue screen of a death a lot whenever I ran certain programs, but after I reformatted, it fixed my blue screen of death. But now my computer seems to restart randomly? Is this a video card issue? If you know how I can fix this, it would be greatly appreciated. Heres my specs
2 GIG corsair xms
Nvidia 6600 gt 128 mb agp
Codegen 350 Watt Psu(From 2002)
120 GB Maxtor HD

I'm guessing it's a power supply issue. Your 6600gt requires a minimum psu of 350watts and while the minimum is usually more than enough, I doubt a no-name brand like codegen holds up to it's stated specs. Try replacing the psu and I bet that'll solve all your problems.

ElPolloDiablo

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
You'd probably fix it by simply allowing your video card its own dedicated 12V rail. This will make you rearrange your power cables but if the video card can leech off its own line it should work.

If not buy a $50 450W PSU that can pump 20A+ through the 12V rails.

I recently had to do this myself actually. My PSU switches off the primary drain if it overloads which is the video card. This results in my computer having no display. Some PSUs trip and that makes the machine reboot. Other PSUs will just blow a diode and have sparks fly out the back (that was the good ole days though)