Password Protect Folders

Isn't there a way to ad password protection to a folder? I know you can hide
a folder but I thought there was a way to create a password to open it.
Thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about password protect folders

    Are you using XP Home or Pro.

    "br57" <br57@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    > Isn't there a way to ad password protection to a folder? I know you can
    > hide a folder but I thought there was a way to create a password to open
    > it.
    > Thanks

    XP Pro

    br57 wrote:
    > Isn't there a way to ad password protection to a folder? I know you
    > can hide a folder but I thought there was a way to create a password
    > to open it. Thanks

    Like Win2K, WinXP's file security paradigm doesn't rely on, or
    allow, the cumbersome method of password protection for individual
    applications, files, or folders. Instead, it uses the superior method
    of explicitly assigning file/folder permissions to individual users
    and/or groups.

    HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q308418

    HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
    Folders
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q308419

    HOW TO Set the My Documents Folder as Private in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298399

    Of course, if you have WinXP Pro, you can encrypt the desired
    files/folders.

    Best Practices for Encrypting File System
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223316

    As a crude work-around, if you actually prefer Win9x's way, you
    can place the file in a compressed folder, and set a password to
    uncompress the folder to view/access its contents.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having
    both at once. - RAH

    Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    > Are you using XP Home or Pro.

    What difference does that make?

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having
    both at once. - RAH

    XP Home does not support the same set of security features as does XP Pro.

    > Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    >> Are you using XP Home or Pro.
    >>

    > What difference does that make?
    >
    > --