Windows 7 install

geis

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
I have a broken computer with xp on it and I am using this as a chance to make a gaming computer. I have all my parts listed for what im buying and im getting the memory taken off my broken desktop. For the new pc I want windows 7 and I am going to pirate it onto the new computer but how will I do this if my new computer doesnt have an OS? Can I use the memory from my old drive to run xp on it, download 7, take xp off and install 7?
Suggestions would be great.

Solution
If your current install isn't an OEM version, you can move your hard drive to the new build. The OS would move with it, but because of the hardware difference, it likely won't boot. You would then need to do a windows repair. However, if you have an OEM license, this isn't an option.

geis

Distinguished
May 22, 2011

Ok well lets just say that im BUYING NOT PIRATING it from a direct-to-drive site, so can I get some help now please. Sorry im a noob so I get things mixed up, I wont talk about pirating anymore.

If you're going to purchase a download, you'll need to burn the it to a disc. Then you'll just boot off the disc, and start the install process.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'use the memory from your old drive.' If you're asking about using the RAM from an old system, in your new system, then it all depends on your motherboard. They need to be compatible. Without more information, I can't give you a better answer.

geis

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
Yea I think ill just have my friend burn it because my other computer doesnt hav a writer. What I meant was I thought that the os on my broken computer would be in the hard drive, so, I would tranfer the os to my new computer to get it up and running until I upgrade to 7. But now, like I said, I think ill just have my friend burn it to a disc for me. Thanks for the response.

If your current install isn't an OEM version, you can move your hard drive to the new build. The OS would move with it, but because of the hardware difference, it likely won't boot. You would then need to do a windows repair. However, if you have an OEM license, this isn't an option.

Solution