CPU cooler for Core 2 duo

Turkish

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Hey guys. Ive ordered my Asus p5b deluxe wifi board and my e6600 intel chip. Unfortunately there is hardly ANY stock in south africa atm but im trying to make a plan and get something by the end of the week.

Ive decided to get a good aftermarket cooler. What do you guys suggest? I was thinking of going for the zalman CNPS9500LED : 3 x 8-shape bending design copper heatpipe with 0.2mm ultra slim copper fin , aero-dynamically tunnel , 92mm opaque fan with blue led + Fan mate2 : 1300/2600rpm , double ball bearing , noise 18/27.5db .

Bare in mind its kind of difficult to get hold of good quality gear in south africa. I can get this cooler for around $50 / $60. Im open to suggestions!

Another thing is... ive heard you need a new powersupply for this chip as the cpu power connector is bigger and if you use a converter for your existing psu then you could experience heat issues etc. Ive got a thermaltake 430w psu that im not wanting to get rid of so im gona get a converter and see what happens.

thanks in advance for your help!

Turk

Turkish

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
yeah i am thinking of clocking it higher... not overboard though like some of the enthusiasts here have done... maybe just to the same level as the e6700 or 6800.

Another thing is... ive heard you need a new powersupply for this chip as the cpu power connector is bigger and if you use a converter for your existing psu then you could experience heat issues etc. Ive got a thermaltake 430w psu that im not wanting to get rid of so im gona get a converter and see what happens.

Turk

The Asus p5b Deluxe requires a 24-pin connector for its' power supply requirements. Your Thermaltake 430 would work with this board if you get an adapter for it, as shown here....

Go ahead!!! Click RIGHT HERE!!!

....however, I would recommend that you double check your power requirements to ensure that your power supply is actually large enough to handle all the power requirements...

Turkish

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
cool! thanks again. Ive been running an AMD dual core 4400 until now with an asus a8n-sli deluxe board. Like i mentioned ill be changing to a e6600 intel chip with the p5b wifi deluxe mobo and 2gigs of corsair xms low latency memory. I have 3 x 250gig sata drives which are housed in some vantec removable bays with blue lcd displays. I also 1 x 160 gig sata drive and a dvd writer. 2 normal size case fans and a bigger one all with leds mounted at the back as well as 2 uv lights (soz im a bit of a noob so dont know exact measurements.) I use onboard sound with a 7800GTX but im upgrading to a creative Xfi music edition. I also have an external 250 gig sata drive but that uses external power. throw in a g5 laser mouse and a Zboard merc keyboard and thats my entire setup. I get the feeling that a 430w is no longer sufficient.

Turkish

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
awesome! even with 4 sata drivers and all the other stuff i mentioned?

thanks man! u saved me a bit of cash there!

allred

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
I have an E6600 with the Zalman cooler you mention, and the idle is 35C, same as the case temp, and on full load it doesn't get above 50C at full load with the fan set at 1800RPM from the full 2600RPM it can go. So all in all, a very good cooler.

Talon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
Was going to ask what kind of case you used but obviously a tower now that I see all your hardware. I agree with Wusy, pretty much any "popular" brand around $30 or so will probably give superior performance especially OC'd compared to the stock heatsink/fan. I saw a review on a really well performing less known brand but I can't remember what the name was. Might try to look it up later.