Tags:
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
July 8, 2004 2:03:20 AM

Hi,
I have home computer with 2 large HD. I moved all files to
one drive, formatted the other and installed Win2K. After
reboot, most files moved to other drive are inaccessible
(meaning pic file is listed, but won't display...pdf file
is listed, but cannot open, etc).
Can somebody explain the cause of this to me? And, better,
is there any way to retrieve these files?
Thanks for the help!
Carl

More about : loss files installing win2k

Anonymous
July 8, 2004 1:28:23 PM

Hi, Carl.

> I have home computer with 2 large HD.

HOW large? Over 10 MB? Come on, we can handle real numbers here, even big
ones. ;^} And how large are the volumes on the HDs?

Have you found Disk Management? (Many experienced users haven't yet, even
though it has been in Win2K from the beginning over 4 years ago.) At the
Run prompt, enter: diskmgmt.msc

What does Disk Management say about your HDs, especially that secondary one?
Have you specifically assigned your drive letters (using Disk Management),
or does Win2K reassign letters each time you reboot? Are your drives
formatted FAT (16 or 32) or NTFS? And, as John Doue asked, how large are
these files that you are trying to open?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Carl" <brawny82@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have home computer with 2 large HD. I moved all files to
> one drive, formatted the other and installed Win2K. After
> reboot, most files moved to other drive are inaccessible
> (meaning pic file is listed, but won't display...pdf file
> is listed, but cannot open, etc).
> Can somebody explain the cause of this to me? And, better,
> is there any way to retrieve these files?
> Thanks for the help!
> Carl
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 7:00:54 PM

Carl wrote:

> Hi,
> I have home computer with 2 large HD. I moved all files to
> one drive, formatted the other and installed Win2K. After
> reboot, most files moved to other drive are inaccessible
> (meaning pic file is listed, but won't display...pdf file
> is listed, but cannot open, etc).
> Can somebody explain the cause of this to me? And, better,
> is there any way to retrieve these files?
> Thanks for the help!
> Carl
Probably has to do with 2K limitations in terms of size of partition.
Since you do not mention sizes, it is just a guess.

--
John Doue
July 9, 2004 12:46:42 AM

Have to ask; but you have installed the apps used by these files?

news:o kGQUfPZEHA.644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...