Ethernet Transmitter Interrupts

I am having a problem with my server booting all the clients off of the
database software citing that contact was lost with the user. I've
been trying to figure the problem out and have winnowed it down to the
router or the cable from the router to the server (I doubt it is either
of these, because I don't get any collisions etc.) So, out of
curiousity I figured I'd run an Ethernet Diagnostic Report and found
that there were 739,064 Interrupts on the port in use. Could this be
my problem?? Any insight would be appreciated.

thanks.

In article <1104959994.608155.78700@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
M Landman <mlandman@natlchem.com> wrote:
:I am having a problem with my server booting all the clients off of the
:database software citing that contact was lost with the user. I've
:been trying to figure the problem out and have winnowed it down to the
:router or the cable from the router to the server (I doubt it is either
:eek:f these, because I don't get any collisions etc.) So, out of
:curiousity I figured I'd run an Ethernet Diagnostic Report and found
:that there were 739,064 Interrupts on the port in use. Could this be
:my problem?? Any insight would be appreciated.

It would depend on the NIC and the driver, but it wouldn't be uncommon
for a NIC to DMA packet contents into an operating system buffer and
then to interrupt the OS to signal that the packet was there.
In other words, in common implimentations, an interrupt is normal
and a Good Thing [you don't want the CPU to have to poll the
NIC and do the copy-in as the bytes are ready.]
--
And the wind keeps blowing the angel / Backwards into the future /
And this wind, this wind / Is called / Progress.