iknowmole

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
I am currently building my computer and have a quick question. I have a Sonata II case and i am currently installing the motherboard. Which screws are you supposed to use to attach the motherboard? the manual just states use the provided philips head screws. Does anyone have the same case and know which should be used?

Thanks in advance for any help.

iknowmole

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
Sorry this is such a supid question but there are two types of screws which have the same thread and both will screw into the standoffs, they also both appear to be philips head screws. This is the first computer i have built, so i want to try and do it correctly.

Turbo_VE_Max

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
Yeah, that little sh!t bag of screws is just ghaytarded. It depends honestly.

Find the motherboard risers
Look for some (red?) paper washers
Look for the screws that have smooth heads and are not meant for a socket type screw driver

Test fit the screws to the standoffs till you find some that fit nicely. Use those screws.

Take your time and let us know how it goes.

iknowmole

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
Thanks i think i know which screws now, they are tinted blue, are smoothed and not for a socket type screwdriver, they have a small gap with no thread and look as if a washer was attached just blow the head of the screw. Do you think these are the correct screws? There are also ones which are the same only they are silver, have a tread all the way up and don't have the bit that looks like a washer under the head. As for red paper washers i don't think the case came with any.

Thanks for the advice.

Turbo_VE_Max

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
They sound right (none socket type)

As long as they thread into the motherboard risers you are fine.

As for the washers, hell I think they are outdated anyways, as modern motherboards are coated and most have a medal washer type thing around the mounting holes anyways.

Go for it yo.

iknowmole

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
I now have my system built. As for the screws, the blue tited ones are for the HDD trays and the silver philips head ones are for the motherboard (the ones with rounded heads which are not for sockets). There are also two different types of silver philips screws (with rounded heads which are not for sockets), they have slightly different threads, check that they will screw easily by hand as the others will fit but not screw in easily, but can be forced and are for floppy drives. Paper washers are not needed for the M2N-E i had. Apart for this problem building the system was easy, i wish they made it clearer in the sonata II manual which are the correct screws!

I hope anyone with the same problem will find this useful.

Thanks for all your help. :D