Windows 2003 server & Excel 97 xls files

Hi there...

I get error "disk is full" & "document not saved" from Excel 97 / Windows 98 on a Windows 2003 Server shares when saving. I have full permisson, disbaled antivirus kernel filters / backup OFO filters. Posted this message to the Office section also.

The xls files can be newly created xls files, they can contain embedded objects and macro. However, as soon as i delete for example a worksheet from the document i can continue working saving to the document to the server. The Windows 98 machine has DS client installed, succesfully logged in... SMB signing is turned of at the domain level.

When running a network monitor scan, i see a SMB "Trans2" error saying : "File not found ( Pathname error ) .

Tried it at 5 diffrent computers, same error.... ???

Regards

val

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

>I get error "disk is full" & "document not saved" from
Excel 97 / Windows 98 on a Windows 2003 Server shares when
saving. I have full permisson, disbaled antivirus kernel
filters / backup OFO filters. Posted this message to the
Office section also.

Hi Lars!

I suppose you have Win2k DS client on Win98 PCs.
If so, then look at:

What you need is:

You can find it on Win2k3 SBS CD also.

Best regards.

Hi Val

Thanks for input. However, I have this hotfix installed as I belived it be something with the NTLM2 auth first, but the thing is that I can save the .xls 97 file to the Windows 2003 the first time, hwoever, make one change to original file when it is on server and trying to save, error "document not saved".

I can see that it is trying to write to the temp xls "save" file when the error comes up. Issues are reported to MS regarding this, however, no supplied KB applies as today with the error as I can see.

As I said, disabled everything on the server regarding antivirus / backup kernel filter, and still get a SMB error frame. (netowork monitor can detect it, running application EtherReal.. spots SMB file path not found! :(

/Regards

"Val" wrote:

> >I get error "disk is full" & "document not saved" from
> Excel 97 / Windows 98 on a Windows 2003 Server shares when
> saving. I have full permisson, disbaled antivirus kernel
> filters / backup OFO filters. Posted this message to the
> Office section also.
> >

> Hi Lars!
>
> I suppose you have Win2k DS client on Win98 PCs.
> If so, then look at:

> What you need is:

> You can find it on Win2k3 SBS CD also.
>
> Best regards.

val

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

Hi Lars!

Maybe this will help you?

--

Val

----

From: "Frank" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
Sender: "Frank" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
Subject: problems w/ 98 Clients
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 15:42:21 -0800

Hey Gang,

I have been reading through the threads on this in several
MS newsgroups and posted messages in those newsgroups
requesting assistance. I have been dealing with this
problem since Monday and have been feverishly researching
a solution.

Here is what I have come up with so far:

1. At the Windows Server 2003 system, Enter at a cmd
prompt: net config server /autodisconnect:-1

2. For Windows 95 workstations, do the following at the
Windows Server 2003 system:
Default Domain Policy: Account Lockout Threshold,
increase to 15 or more.
Default Domain Policy: Microsoft Network Clients ..
Digitally Sign Communication Always - Set to Disabled

3. For Windows 98SE / ME / NT4.0 clients, check out the
following:
support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814598

I would appreciate knowing if these solutions worked for
you.

Regards,

Frank

the
>>98 & 98 SE clients. If I log onto the domain on the 98
>>clients, after the Novell login, after a long delay, I
>>receive the following error. "The domain password you
>>supplied is not correct, or access to your logon server
>>has been denied." Most of the time I can give about a
>>minute or 2, respond OK, and then when the MS login
>screen
>>comes up, I try logging in again with the same User
name,
>>password and domain name, and it connects with no
>problem.
>>On occasion it takes several attempts before
successfully
>>logging in. Even if I am not logging into the domain and
>>just mapping my 98 clients to a shared drive on the same
>>server, I get the same results when the workstation is
>>reconnecting to the mapped drive at startup. There will
>be
>>a long delay and then it will be unable to complete the
>>mapping. If the user cancels during the mapping attempt,
>2
>>or 3 minutes later it will connect in the background.
>>
>>On a suggestion from another tech, I have installed the
>>Windows 9x, DS client for Active directory services
>>(found on the Win2k server cd) and it didn't seem to
>help.

Hi there Val

First of all, thanks for response... then again, tried the solution as described. Didnt work out though. Signing is of at def domain policy and we only apply it at the top so i know that it wont get reapplied below in ad structure. Also verified that win98 poledit got running but with no success in regards to the error.

Seems to be that somethings interfeers with the saving function of the xls file as I can see that it creates a temp file. Tried to disable any "kernel filters" that might scan it upon save. Now I am down to 6 native Win2003 filters, which I cant disable or the server will BOD.

Seems as many are expierencing this problem though.

/Regards

"Val" wrote:

> Hi Lars!
>
> Maybe this will help you?
>
> --
>
> Val
>
> ----
>
> From: "Frank" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
> Sender: "Frank" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
> Subject: problems w/ 98 Clients
> Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 15:42:21 -0800
>
> Hey Gang,
>
> I have been reading through the threads on this in several
> MS newsgroups and posted messages in those newsgroups
> requesting assistance. I have been dealing with this
> problem since Monday and have been feverishly researching
> a solution.
>
> Here is what I have come up with so far:
>
> 1. At the Windows Server 2003 system, Enter at a cmd
> prompt: net config server /autodisconnect:-1
>
> 2. For Windows 95 workstations, do the following at the
> Windows Server 2003 system:
> Default Domain Policy: Account Lockout Threshold,
> increase to 15 or more.
> Default Domain Policy: Microsoft Network Clients ..
> Digitally Sign Communication Always - Set to Disabled
>
> 3. For Windows 98SE / ME / NT4.0 clients, check out the
> following:
> support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814598
>
> I would appreciate knowing if these solutions worked for
> you.
>
> Regards,
>
> Frank

val

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

Hi Lars!

Try to ask your question in

microsoft.public.windows.server.networking

and

microsoft.public.win98.networking

newsgroups.

--

Val

Oki, think I got a solution comin up on this probz...

Seems as if I load an application that contains or changes the Windows 98
native file system driver... as for example, filemon.exe.. i can save the
from Excel to WIndows 2003. Cause = Filemon.exe contains a VxD file
(filevxd.vxd) that runs as a file system driver for Windows 98 native driver
for reading / writing to file system. When I do this, i can save, if I close
the filemon.exe, it doesnt work.. so I just have to load the vxd from Windows
9x machine without lauching the GUI of filemon.exe.

Be back when i got info on how to load a dynamic vxd from within the OS. Any1?