Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Uncompressing Compressed Drive

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
July 9, 2004 11:14:08 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

I have an arrayed drive that somewhere along the way was
compressed. I do not know why, so don't ask. This drive
happens to be the drive where SQL is installed and a
number of client databases are stored. The actual drive
capacity is 98 GB. Compressed there is 32 GB used and 64
GB free. I need to create a plan to uncompress either the
entire drive all at once or folder by folder. Is there a
way to determine the time it will take to do the
uncompression? This is a production server and the time
needed has to be scheduled with multiple clients due to
the access needed to the data stored on this drive. Any
information anyone can provide would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
July 9, 2004 2:37:19 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 07:14:08 -0700, "Scott" <scott.morrill@fnf.com> wrote:

>I have an arrayed drive that somewhere along the way was
>compressed. I do not know why, so don't ask. This drive
>happens to be the drive where SQL is installed and a
>number of client databases are stored. The actual drive
>capacity is 98 GB. Compressed there is 32 GB used and 64
>GB free. I need to create a plan to uncompress either the
>entire drive all at once or folder by folder. Is there a
>way to determine the time it will take to do the
>uncompression? This is a production server and the time
>needed has to be scheduled with multiple clients due to
>the access needed to the data stored on this drive. Any
>information anyone can provide would be much appreciated.
>Thanks in advance.

See tip 316 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com

Schedule a batch to run during off-hours.


Jerold Schulman
Windows: General MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com
July 9, 2004 2:37:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

I know 'how' to do it, but I need to know if there is a
way to find out how long it would take to uncompress the
entire drive, all at once. If that is longer than the
time I have, then I would need to do it folder by folder.

>-----Original Message-----
>On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 07:14:08 -0700, "Scott"
<scott.morrill@fnf.com> wrote:
>
>>I have an arrayed drive that somewhere along the way
was
>>compressed. I do not know why, so don't ask. This drive
>>happens to be the drive where SQL is installed and a
>>number of client databases are stored. The actual drive
>>capacity is 98 GB. Compressed there is 32 GB used and
64
>>GB free. I need to create a plan to uncompress either
the
>>entire drive all at once or folder by folder. Is there
a
>>way to determine the time it will take to do the
>>uncompression? This is a production server and the time
>>needed has to be scheduled with multiple clients due to
>>the access needed to the data stored on this drive. Any
>>information anyone can provide would be much
appreciated.
>>Thanks in advance.
>
>See tip 316 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at
http://www.jsiinc.com
>
>Schedule a batch to run during off-hours.
>
>
>Jerold Schulman
>Windows: General MVP
>JSI, Inc.
>http://www.jsiinc.com
>.
>
Anonymous
July 9, 2004 4:15:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

I don't know of any way, but I can't imagine it would take more than a couple of
hours.

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 08:22:12 -0700, "Scott" <scott.morrill@fnf.com> wrote:

>I know 'how' to do it, but I need to know if there is a
>way to find out how long it would take to uncompress the
>entire drive, all at once. If that is longer than the
>time I have, then I would need to do it folder by folder.
>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 07:14:08 -0700, "Scott"
><scott.morrill@fnf.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I have an arrayed drive that somewhere along the way
>was
>>>compressed. I do not know why, so don't ask. This drive
>>>happens to be the drive where SQL is installed and a
>>>number of client databases are stored. The actual drive
>>>capacity is 98 GB. Compressed there is 32 GB used and
>64
>>>GB free. I need to create a plan to uncompress either
>the
>>>entire drive all at once or folder by folder. Is there
>a
>>>way to determine the time it will take to do the
>>>uncompression? This is a production server and the time
>>>needed has to be scheduled with multiple clients due to
>>>the access needed to the data stored on this drive. Any
>>>information anyone can provide would be much
>appreciated.
>>>Thanks in advance.
>>
>>See tip 316 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at
>http://www.jsiinc.com
>>
>>Schedule a batch to run during off-hours.
>>
>>
>>Jerold Schulman
>>Windows: General MVP
>>JSI, Inc.
>>http://www.jsiinc.com
>>.
>>


Jerold Schulman
Windows: General MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com
!