Intel introduces eight new Dual-Core Intel Xeon 7100 series

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
SANTA CLARA, Calif., Aug. 29, 2006 – Intel Corporation today unveiled eight new Dual-Core Intel Xeon® 7100 series processors designed for multi-processor servers. Previously codenamed “Tulsa,” the Dual-Core Intel Xeon processor 7100 series delivers on key requirements to support the demands of enterprise applications: top performance and reliability. The processor family also includes lower-power, 95 watt options that reduce associated energy costs.

The Dual-Core Intel Xeon 7100 processor series offers up to twice the performance1 and nearly three times better performance per watt2 over previous Intel Xeon MP processors, boasts greater performance headroom than competitive offerings and delivers the reliability and scalability Intel-based servers are known for throughout the industry. These processors are also socket compatible with the currently shipping platform, speeding deployment and reducing qualification costs and validation times.

Intel News Release
©2006 Intel Corporation

SANTA CLARA, Calif. (AP) - Chip maker Intel is introducing a series of new processors designed especially for business and e-commerce uses.

The company says its eight new Dual-Core Intel Xeon 71-hundred series processors are designed to perform better than their predecessors, and include lower-power options to help cut energy costs.

Intel says servers based on the processors are expected to be available from more than 40 manufacturers beginning Tuesday.
Intel Launches New Processors
Copyright 2006 Associated Press

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Sorry to be off topic, but is anyone having problems with the forum?

I keep getting errors, and find myself constantly closing my browser, and relogging in.

Is the forum being somewhat overhauled?

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Yes! The database is FUBAR right now. It's been this way for 3+ days. It's a hit or miss thing right now.

I've reported it (constantly) to the webmaster and web developer. Don't know for sure what they're doing. :(

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Sorry to be off topic, but is anyone having problems with the forum?

I keep getting errors, and find myself constantly closing my browser, and relogging in.

Is the forum being somewhat overhauled?

Been that way for the past few days. I can't even get to the Software section without an error.

Hopefully bigger things are afoot. :?
Maybe they're replacing servers with Tulsa ones. 8)

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
One thing that troubles me about these new server chips (I'm not advocating anything, unlike some we know here) is what is being reported in TG Daily today:

Santa Clara (CA) - Intel launched eight new dual-core Xeon MP processors late Thursday. The new CPUs go head-to-head with AMD's Opteron 8000 series processors and are based on the "Tulsa" core which uses the power-hungry Netburst architecture that is being phased in all other product lines such as desktop and DP server processor families. Still, Intel promises that Tulsa drops power consumption by up to 30%.
Intel refreshes Xeon MP series with new Tulsa processors
© 2006 Tom's Guide Publishing.

I was under the impression that Intel was trying to get away for Netburst - and now they introduce a new server line based on Netburst? Maybe the 65 nm production process will make a difference. Still, I find this odd.

Maybe one of you guru's can explain this?

accord99

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2004
I was under the impression that Intel was trying to get away for Netburst - and now they introduce a new server line based on Netburst? Maybe the 65 nm production process will make a difference. Still, I find this odd.

It takes time for validation. And a big cache, SMT and good quality chipsets can overcome architectural deficiencies. Tulsa paired with IBM's X3 chipset should be the top performing 4S+ x86 server in nearly all server benchmarks.

At least until the Core based MP processors arrive.

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
It's really an increased cache, stop-gap chip until they release Tigerton next year. It's a drop-in upgrade for Paxville platform. Seems like a good solution for the 4-socket&up server space.

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004

As others have mentioned stability is critical for Xeon MPs so they are usually the last to transition to any new technologies after they have been tested in other product lines.

The major roadblock to using Core 2 for Xeon MP is the lack of motherboard and chipset support. I don't think the current motherboards meet the correct VRM standards which means that everyone would have had to buy a completely new system. Using Netburst allowed Tulsa to be a drop-in replacement. The other option would be to do a refresh with new VRMs on the current chipsets like what was done to the i975X, but that would have been a disaster. The current chipsets only support up to 2 800MHz FSBs for 4 sockets which is even less than the 2 1333MHz FSBs of Bensley.

Intel is working on a new chipset with the Truland platform using quad FSBs, which should be a great benefit. Still, I think the chipset is still lacking in implementation. The current design calls for 4 1067MHz FSBs coupled with a 6 channel DDR2 667 FB-DIMM memory controller. This isn't sufficient for Tigerton which is a dual die quad core chip. (THG is wrong BTW since they say Tigerton is a dual core chip). The preferred configuration to me would be either 4 1333MHz FSBs with 8 channel DDR2 667 FB-DIMMs or 4 1333MHz FSBs with 6 channels of DDR3 800 FB-DIMMs. Since an 8 channel memory controller might be a bit difficult, the latter option would be easier to implement. The use of DDR3 memory would also drop power consumption which is idle. By the time Truland is released in around mid-2007, DDR3 should be available by then. Even if it isn't common, DDR2 800 could be used instead since the FB-DIMM architecture allows it to be used interchangably with DDR3.

In the end, Tulsa will still be useful since the software it'll be running will already be optimized for Netburst's architecture. Using Woodcrest as a test platform, by the time Tigerton arrives for Xeon MP, software optimized for Core 2 would be available that best takes advantage of it. This is especially true in 64-bit mode where you have to ensure that the average instruction length is 4 bytes otherwise you won't achieve the optimal 4 issue rate.

TRENDING THREADS