Sign in with
Your question

Bad Processor? RMA'd MOBO and system still unstable

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
August 29, 2006 3:24:26 PM

I recently ordered new parts off of newegg. The PC construction went flawlessly, but upon installing Windows XP I started to encounter problems. The installation said it could not find files that were definately on the CD. I noticed that this was rather random and after a few tries (and trying different windows xp discs) I finally got the OS to install, despite the USB mouse freezing during the installation.

When windows first booted up everything was fine for the first 2-3 minutes and then again the USB mouse would stop working. A few minutes after that, the entire system would freeze and eventually reboot. I would receive a MEMORY CHECK EXCEPTION error along with a blue screen. I started to go into BIOS and check to make sure everything was being registered by the system. After a few minutes in BIOS, the system clock would stop and the system itself would freeze.

I decided that the MOBO must have been DOA, so I RMA'd it. I received it back from ASUS yesterday, and their repair department determined that the MOBO was just fine and I'm still having the same problems. THe only hardware I have connected is a CD-ROM, a Seagate 200gb HD (IDE), my graphics card, and obviously my MOBO/Processor. I also RMA'd my harddrive, because I was recieving disc errors on another system, I received that last week and is working fine.

I have tried getting a new power supply and new memory. I upgraded from a 350w to now a 480w PSU and have DDR400 RAM. I have tried using only one stick of RAM at a time to further determine that it is not a RAM issue.

I have the following hardware configuration:

ASUS A8N5X Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Toledo 2.2GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Dual Core Processor
PNY VCG7600GXPB Geforce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card
480w Logisys PSU
200gb Seagate IDE HD
512x2 DRR400 DIMM Memory

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2006 3:51:49 PM

Quote:
I recently ordered new parts off of newegg. The PC construction went flawlessly, but upon installing Windows XP I started to encounter problems. The installation said it could not find files that were definately on the CD. I noticed that this was rather random and after a few tries (and trying different windows xp discs) I finally got the OS to install, despite the USB mouse freezing during the installation.

When windows first booted up everything was fine for the first 2-3 minutes and then again the USB mouse would stop working. A few minutes after that, the entire system would freeze and eventually reboot. I would receive a MEMORY CHECK EXCEPTION error along with a blue screen. I started to go into BIOS and check to make sure everything was being registered by the system. After a few minutes in BIOS, the system clock would stop and the system itself would freeze.

I decided that the MOBO must have been DOA, so I RMA'd it. I received it back from ASUS yesterday, and their repair department determined that the MOBO was just fine and I'm still having the same problems. THe only hardware I have connected is a CD-ROM, a Seagate 200gb HD (IDE), my graphics card, and obviously my MOBO/Processor. I also RMA'd my harddrive, because I was recieving disc errors on another system, I received that last week and is working fine.

I have tried getting a new power supply and new memory. I upgraded from a 350w to now a 480w PSU and have DDR400 RAM. I have tried using only one stick of RAM at a time to further determine that it is not a RAM issue.

I have the following hardware configuration:

ASUS A8N5X Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Toledo 2.2GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Dual Core Processor
PNY VCG7600GXPB Geforce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card
480w Logisys PSU
200gb Seagate IDE HD
512x2 DRR400 DIMM Memory

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Try different RAM if possible. Have you tried loading other software than the windows xp disc? If you get system errors, your RAM could be the culprit. I built an ASUS board recently that would not load a windows xp pro disc I had. I gave up and stuck in a windows xp home disc and it loaded right up. I returned the MB the next day. The new board loaded the original xp pro disc without incident. If the system loads other software without problem, I would look toward the MB. Have you tried resetting the CMOS withe jumper? Or updating the BIOS?
August 29, 2006 3:56:29 PM

Yes, I have tried different RAM and I have returned the MOBO to ASUS and they say nothing is wrong with it. I have rested CMOS many times (when the PC crashes, it occasionaly resets itself). I have not tried to flash the BIOS yet. I will look into that.
Related resources
August 29, 2006 4:17:48 PM

i had asimilar problem: during winxp installation the computer was giving file not found errors. I found out that this was because of a faulty cd-rom. try using another cd rom and re install windows
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2006 4:54:16 PM

Quote:
Yes, I have tried different RAM and I have returned the MOBO to ASUS and they say nothing is wrong with it. I have rested CMOS many times (when the PC crashes, it occasionaly resets itself). I have not tried to flash the BIOS yet. I will look into that.

I use the AMD drivers and Optomizer on five of my computers from here:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/...
!