Request comments on HP 9800

horace

Distinguished
May 7, 2004

Hi, all. Staples is advertising the HP 9800 Deskjet printer for $250 this
week. I'd like to have one for printing 13x19 B&W photos and 11x14 portraits
(color and B&W). It is my understanding that there is a 6-color option for
printing photorelaistic prints.

Would anyone presently using one for photo printing please comment on print
(and printer) quality? Are there any custom profiles you recommend? Print
speed is not an issue.

For reference, I have a Deskjet 3820 that makes teriffic (IMHO) B&W prints.
The 9800 sales price fits better in my budget than the Designjet 30 or Epson
1800. Given the comlpaints about Epson in general, I'd like to go with HP.
Thanks for any and all replies.

Sonrise

frederick

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2004

Horace wrote:

> Hi, all. Staples is advertising the HP 9800 Deskjet printer for $250 this
> week. I'd like to have one for printing 13x19 B&W photos and 11x14 portraits
> (color and B&W). It is my understanding that there is a 6-color option for
> printing photorelaistic prints.
>
> Would anyone presently using one for photo printing please comment on print
> (and printer) quality? Are there any custom profiles you recommend? Print
> speed is not an issue.
>
> For reference, I have a Deskjet 3820 that makes teriffic (IMHO) B&W prints.
> The 9800 sales price fits better in my budget than the Designjet 30 or Epson
> 1800. Given the comlpaints about Epson in general, I'd like to go with HP.
> Thanks for any and all replies.
>
> Sonrise

If you want to print mainly photos, particularly B&W, and want HP then
look at the HP Photosmart 8750 which doesn't normally cost a lot more
than the 9800.

"frederick" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
> Horace wrote:
>
>> Hi, all. Staples is advertising the HP 9800 Deskjet printer for $250 this
>> week. I'd like to have one for printing 13x19 B&W photos and 11x14 portraits
>> (color and B&W). It is my understanding that there is a 6-color option for
>> printing photorelaistic prints.

> If you want to print mainly photos, particularly B&W, and want HP then look
> at the HP Photosmart 8750 which doesn't normally cost a lot more than the
> 9800.

The Photosmart 8750 is a step up in print capability but it is a US list price
of $499 vs. a normal list of $299 for the 9800. Both can print up to 13x19"
prints. The 8750 uses seven or nine inks in three cartridges, the 9800 uses
two cartridges and four or six inks. Either will print better photo's than the
DeskJet 3820, particularly if the photo cartridges are used.

Regards,

"frederick" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
> Horace wrote:
>
>> Hi, all. Staples is advertising the HP 9800 Deskjet printer for $250 this
>> week. I'd like to have one for printing 13x19 B&W photos and 11x14
>> portraits (color and B&W). It is my understanding that there is a 6-color
>> option for printing photorelaistic prints.
>>
>> Would anyone presently using one for photo printing please comment on
>> print (and printer) quality? Are there any custom profiles you recommend?
>> Print speed is not an issue.
>>
>> For reference, I have a Deskjet 3820 that makes teriffic (IMHO) B&W
>> prints. The 9800 sales price fits better in my budget than the Designjet
>> 30 or Epson 1800. Given the comlpaints about Epson in general, I'd like
>> to go with HP. Thanks for any and all replies.
>>
>> Sonrise
> If you want to print mainly photos, particularly B&W, and want HP then
> look at the HP Photosmart 8750 which doesn't normally cost a lot more than
> the 9800.

The 8750 would be my choice over Epson's R1800. Sam's Club is advertising
the 8750 for $450. But if I'm going to the $500 price level I think I'll
just save up for a HP Designjet 30 (or even 130), which uses higher capacity
ink carts and replacable printheads. The Designjets are professional grade
printers.

My 3820's color prints are disappointing, to say the least, but I assume
that's because I'm limited to a RGB rather than CMY color cart. The RGB
monochrome mix cart a pleasing monochrome print on matte paper, but on satin
and glossy paper there is a warmer cast I do not like. What I find ironic is
that I was getting better color prints with Office Depot color carts than
with HP.

"Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com> wrote in message

> "frederick" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
>> Horace wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, all. Staples is advertising the HP 9800 Deskjet printer for $250
>>> this week. I'd like to have one for printing 13x19 B&W photos and 11x14
>>> portraits (color and B&W). It is my understanding that there is a
>>> 6-color option for printing photorelaistic prints.
>
>> If you want to print mainly photos, particularly B&W, and want HP then
>> look at the HP Photosmart 8750 which doesn't normally cost a lot more
>> than the 9800.
>
> The Photosmart 8750 is a step up in print capability but it is a US list
> price of $499 vs. a normal list of $299 for the 9800. Both can print up
> to 13x19" prints. The 8750 uses seven or nine inks in three cartridges,
> the 9800 uses two cartridges and four or six inks. Either will print
> better photo's than the DeskJet 3820, particularly if the photo cartridges
> are used.
>
> Regards,

Thanks for the reply, Bob. What I really want to know is whether the 9800's
prints are of commercial (salable) quality. I've not seen any samples from
this printer in the local stores.

Sonrise