Alotofthings "Formulabs" ink problems, Canon

Started this in another thread, though I'd make a new thread as it's a new
topic.

Those local trolls who like to rage about 3rd party inks can ignore this, as
you are all in the kill-file already.

Got a refill kit for my Canon IP4000 from Alotofthings, based partly on
recommendations here, the results are pretty disappointing. None of the
colors match the Canon inks.

I filled a new set of empty carts with the ink, ran multiple purge pages
between all tests and printed several dozen test photos and test pages to
confirm the results. The ink from Alotofthings is very different from the
Canon ink, both yellow and Cyan are markedly pale compared to the Canon, you
can even see the difference in the tanks. The magenta is less pale in
comparison. I use the purge pages at Alotofthings.com to do the comparisons,
printed on glossy photo paper with the Canon photo gloss settings. All other
settings are at default.

The result is markedly "pink" photos. I tried adjusting the Canon driver
using manual color settings, but was never able to get a decent comparison
to the Canon ink on 2 glossy photo papers.

I've complained to Alotofthings with no response.

Everyone seems to think that Formulabs ink is the best option. IF this is
Formulabs ink, I have to disagree.

zakezuke

> Got a refill kit for my Canon IP4000 from Alotofthings, based partly on
> recommendations here, the results are pretty disappointing. None of the
> colors match the Canon inks.

I have to agree with burt on this issue. I am also on MIS inks, but my
experence base is only presently 2oz worth on canon. I like them.. I
find them less pink than canon oem or as I like to say a tad less
punch, but this is personal preference. As a rule of thumb when buying
3rd party you should take a q-tip and do a swatch on paper before you
use the ink on your printer... esp if you are me and the cyan and
magenta look similar. I would do this now, as well as run an nozzle
test.

I've heard enough good things about alotofthings that would sugest this
isn't a normal issue. It's possible they gave you epson ink for
example, this might explain the pinkness, it's also possible you have
the carts in the wrong slots or they put the wrong color in the bottle,
or you have a missing color like yellow that is not flowing.

The symptoms you are describing sugest something is seriously wrong...
if you can't isolate the problem your self get some help from
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/index.php asap.

For examples of two other options
http://www.neilslade.com/Papers/inktest.html

zakezuke

> I think I'm able to tell when the tanks are in the right holes for
> chrissakes. The fact that I can reproduce the effect and eliminate it by
> changing tanks rules out the printer as a factor.

Yes, the problem with troubleshooting is the fact that you have to stop
and ask idiot questions. I know for a fact the placement of the inks
on my mp760 is different than that on my IP3000 so I can understand an
error, and I have in the past accidently grabbed magenta when I needed
black. But clearly you are not the idiot but rather alotofthings are
idiots, which is why I also sugested accidntly using epson ink in a
canon printer.

Hopefully they will replace the bum color for you.

I think I'm able to tell when the tanks are in the right holes for
chrissakes. The fact that I can reproduce the effect and eliminate it by
changing tanks rules out the printer as a factor.

Finally got a response from Alotofthings, and I was right. Apparently
Formulabs made a change in the Magenta and it prints too heavy. Here's some
snips:

We did though receive words from Formulabs this morning about the error in
magenta.....
.....Feel free to ask them about their updated improved BCI-6 magenta which
actually prints too heavy.....
.....They numbered it IJC-4424. This was to be an improvement to their
IJC-4420. They have since decided to go back to the IJC-4420.

"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Got a refill kit for my Canon IP4000 from Alotofthings, based partly on
> > recommendations here, the results are pretty disappointing. None of the
> > colors match the Canon inks.
>
> I have to agree with burt on this issue. I am also on MIS inks, but my
> experence base is only presently 2oz worth on canon. I like them.. I
> find them less pink than canon oem or as I like to say a tad less
> punch, but this is personal preference. As a rule of thumb when buying
> 3rd party you should take a q-tip and do a swatch on paper before you
> use the ink on your printer... esp if you are me and the cyan and
> magenta look similar. I would do this now, as well as run an nozzle
> test.
>
> I've heard enough good things about alotofthings that would sugest this
> isn't a normal issue. It's possible they gave you epson ink for
> example, this might explain the pinkness, it's also possible you have
> the carts in the wrong slots or they put the wrong color in the bottle,
> or you have a missing color like yellow that is not flowing.
>
> The symptoms you are describing sugest something is seriously wrong...
> if you can't isolate the problem your self get some help from
> http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/index.php asap.
>
> For examples of two other options
> http://www.neilslade.com/Papers/inktest.html

> Finally got a response from Alotofthings, and I was right. Apparently
> Formulabs made a change in the Magenta and it prints too heavy. Here's
> some
> snips:

Do you have any informtion when they made a change in the Magenta?
I bought a bunch of bulk color inks from Alotofthings about 1.5 years ago.
I am using them for my ip4000.
All printed pictures look great to me.

Satoshi

"Dan G" <Dan@xxxx.com> wrote in message
>I think I'm able to tell when the tanks are in the right holes for
> chrissakes. The fact that I can reproduce the effect and eliminate it by
> changing tanks rules out the printer as a factor.
>
> Finally got a response from Alotofthings, and I was right. Apparently
> Formulabs made a change in the Magenta and it prints too heavy. Here's
> some
> snips:
>

> We did though receive words from Formulabs this morning about the error in
> magenta.....
> ....Feel free to ask them about their updated improved BCI-6 magenta which
> actually prints too heavy.....
> ....They numbered it IJC-4424. This was to be an improvement to their
> IJC-4420. They have since decided to go back to the IJC-4420.
>

> "zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > Got a refill kit for my Canon IP4000 from Alotofthings, based partly on
>> > recommendations here, the results are pretty disappointing. None of the
>> > colors match the Canon inks.
>>
>> I have to agree with burt on this issue. I am also on MIS inks, but my
>> experence base is only presently 2oz worth on canon. I like them.. I
>> find them less pink than canon oem or as I like to say a tad less
>> punch, but this is personal preference. As a rule of thumb when buying
>> 3rd party you should take a q-tip and do a swatch on paper before you
>> use the ink on your printer... esp if you are me and the cyan and
>> magenta look similar. I would do this now, as well as run an nozzle
>> test.
>>
>> I've heard enough good things about alotofthings that would sugest this
>> isn't a normal issue. It's possible they gave you epson ink for
>> example, this might explain the pinkness, it's also possible you have
>> the carts in the wrong slots or they put the wrong color in the bottle,
>> or you have a missing color like yellow that is not flowing.
>>
>> The symptoms you are describing sugest something is seriously wrong...
>> if you can't isolate the problem your self get some help from
>> http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/index.php asap.
>>
>> For examples of two other options
>> http://www.neilslade.com/Papers/inktest.html

Apparently the Formulabs change was recent. Alotofthings is saying they just
found out about it today. But no word on when the older magenta will be in
supply.

Just my luck to get this newer formula, I'm trying to get them to replace it
with the other.

"Narusato" <Narusato@thuntek.net> wrote in message

> > Finally got a response from Alotofthings, and I was right. Apparently
> > Formulabs made a change in the Magenta and it prints too heavy. Here's
> > some
> > snips:
>
> Do you have any informtion when they made a change in the Magenta?
> I bought a bunch of bulk color inks from Alotofthings about 1.5 years ago.
> I am using them for my ip4000.
> All printed pictures look great to me.
>
> Satoshi
>

> "Dan G" <Dan@xxxx.com> wrote in message
> >I think I'm able to tell when the tanks are in the right holes for
> > chrissakes. The fact that I can reproduce the effect and eliminate it by
> > changing tanks rules out the printer as a factor.
> >
> > Finally got a response from Alotofthings, and I was right. Apparently
> > Formulabs made a change in the Magenta and it prints too heavy. Here's
> > some
> > snips:
> >

> > We did though receive words from Formulabs this morning about the error
in
> > magenta.....
> > ....Feel free to ask them about their updated improved BCI-6 magenta
which
> > actually prints too heavy.....
> > ....They numbered it IJC-4424. This was to be an improvement to their
> > IJC-4420. They have since decided to go back to the IJC-4420.
> >

> > "zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> I have to agree with burt on this issue. I am also on MIS inks, but my
> >> experence base is only presently 2oz worth on canon. I like them.. I
> >> find them less pink than canon oem or as I like to say a tad less
> >> punch, but this is personal preference. As a rule of thumb when buying
> >> 3rd party you should take a q-tip and do a swatch on paper before you
> >> use the ink on your printer... esp if you are me and the cyan and
> >> magenta look similar. I would do this now, as well as run an nozzle
> >> test.
> >>
> >> I've heard enough good things about alotofthings that would sugest this
> >> isn't a normal issue. It's possible they gave you epson ink for
> >> example, this might explain the pinkness, it's also possible you have
> >> the carts in the wrong slots or they put the wrong color in the bottle,
> >> or you have a missing color like yellow that is not flowing.
> >>
> >> The symptoms you are describing sugest something is seriously wrong...
> >> if you can't isolate the problem your self get some help from
> >> http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/index.php asap.
> >>
> >> For examples of two other options
> >> http://www.neilslade.com/Papers/inktest.html

BURT

> Started this in another thread, though I'd make a new thread as it's a new
> topic.
>
> Those local trolls who like to rage about 3rd party inks can ignore this,
> as
> you are all in the kill-file already.
>
> Got a refill kit for my Canon IP4000 from Alotofthings, based partly on
> recommendations here, the results are pretty disappointing. None of the
> colors match the Canon inks.
>
> I filled a new set of empty carts with the ink, ran multiple purge pages
> between all tests and printed several dozen test photos and test pages to
> confirm the results. The ink from Alotofthings is very different from the
> Canon ink, both yellow and Cyan are markedly pale compared to the Canon,
> you
> can even see the difference in the tanks. The magenta is less pale in
> comparison. I use the purge pages at Alotofthings.com to do the
> comparisons,
> printed on glossy photo paper with the Canon photo gloss settings. All
> other
> settings are at default.
> The result is markedly "pink" photos. I tried adjusting the Canon driver
> using manual color settings, but was never able to get a decent comparison
> to the Canon ink on 2 glossy photo papers.
>
> I've complained to Alotofthings with no response.
>
> Everyone seems to think that Formulabs ink is the best option. IF this is
> Formulabs ink, I have to disagree.

Did you run a nozzle check to see if all cartridges and nozzles are working
properly? Could be one of the cartridges. Post this info to the Nifty
forum. Someone may be able to analyze one of your scans and see what the
problem might be. If it is, in fact, the general run of Formulabs inks it
would be helpful for everyone who has an interest in using aftermarket inks.
I'm using MIS inks and find them to be very close to OEM colors. There are
some color profiles available on the Nifty forum for Formulabs inks, but I
don't know if they are for the ip4000. They are also paper dependant.
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/

BTW, the only rabid anti-3rd-party-ink troll is Measekite, who has no
experience with this issue. He will certainly follow your post and mine
with an "I told you so." I've killfiled him and anyone who continues to
respond to his idiotic comments. Your information about experiencing a
problem is helpful and should elicit a response from others with actual
experience with this company's products to give you whatever advice or
assistance they can.

I got an email stating that Alotofthings will be shipping the earlier
formula starting Friday, and they apparently they will be replacing any of
the magenta that was sold if you ask.

> Apparently the Formulabs change was recent. Alotofthings is saying they
just
> found out about it today. But no word on when the older magenta will be in
> supply.
>
> Just my luck to get this newer formula, I'm trying to get them to replace
it
> with the other.
>

> "Narusato" <Narusato@thuntek.net> wrote in message
> >
> > > Finally got a response from Alotofthings, and I was right. Apparently
> > > Formulabs made a change in the Magenta and it prints too heavy. Here's
> > > some
> > > snips:
> >
> > Do you have any informtion when they made a change in the Magenta?
> > I bought a bunch of bulk color inks from Alotofthings about 1.5 years
ago.
> > I am using them for my ip4000.
> > All printed pictures look great to me.
> >
> > Satoshi
> >

> > "Dan G" <Dan@xxxx.com> wrote in message
> > >I think I'm able to tell when the tanks are in the right holes for
> > > chrissakes. The fact that I can reproduce the effect and eliminate it
by
> > > changing tanks rules out the printer as a factor.
> > >
> > > Finally got a response from Alotofthings, and I was right. Apparently
> > > Formulabs made a change in the Magenta and it prints too heavy. Here's
> > > some
> > > snips:
> > >

> > > We did though receive words from Formulabs this morning about the
error
> in
> > > magenta.....
> > > ....Feel free to ask them about their updated improved BCI-6 magenta
> which
> > > actually prints too heavy.....
> > > ....They numbered it IJC-4424. This was to be an improvement to
their
> > > IJC-4420. They have since decided to go back to the IJC-4420.
> > >

> > > "zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> on
> the

Buy what Canon recommends.

Buy what Epson recommends.

Buy what HP recommends.

It makes no difference what Lexmark recommends. Aftermarket inks are on
the same level as Lexmark.

Dan G wrote:

>I think I'm able to tell when the tanks are in the right holes for
>chrissakes. The fact that I can reproduce the effect and eliminate it by
>changing tanks rules out the printer as a factor.
>
>Finally got a response from Alotofthings, and I was right. Apparently
>Formulabs made a change in the Magenta and it prints too heavy. Here's some
>snips:

THIS IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO SAY ALL ALONG. AFTERMARKET INKS CAN
VARY FROM BATCH TO BATCH BUT I AM SURPRISED THAT FORMULABS CHANGED THEIR
FORMULA. I AM NOT SURE THAT I BELIEVE THAT. MOST OF THE TIME THE
VENDOR CUTS CORNERS TO TRY TO EEK OUT MORE PROFIT. YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT
YOU BUY' ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU BUY PREFILLED CARTS

zakezuke wrote:

>>I think I'm able to tell when the tanks are in the right holes for
>>chrissakes. The fact that I can reproduce the effect and eliminate it by
>>changing tanks rules out the printer as a factor.
>>

>Yes, the problem with troubleshooting is the fact that you have to stop
>and ask idiot questions. I know for a fact the placement of the inks
>on my mp760 is different than that on my IP3000 so I can understand an
>error, and I have in the past accidently grabbed magenta when I needed
>black. But clearly you are not the idiot but rather *alotofthings are
>idiots*,

*OH YES! AMEN!*

Narusato wrote:

>>Finally got a response from Alotofthings, and I was right. Apparently
>>Formulabs made a change in the Magenta and it prints too heavy. Here's
>>some
>>snips:
>>

>Do you have any informtion when they made a change in the Magenta?
>I bought a bunch of bulk color inks from Alotofthings about 1.5 years ago.
>I am using them for my ip4000.
>All printed pictures look great to me.
>
>Satoshi

IF YOU BUY AGAIN SATOSHI WILL TAKE IT IN THE SATUSHI

In article <aEbIe.1354$fJ1.657@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>,
inkystinky@oem.com says...

> Narusato wrote:
>
> >>Finally got a response from Alotofthings, and I was right. Apparently
> >>Formulabs made a change in the Magenta and it prints too heavy. Here's
> >>some
> >>snips:
> >>

> >Do you have any informtion when they made a change in the Magenta?
> >I bought a bunch of bulk color inks from Alotofthings about 1.5 years ago.
> >I am using them for my ip4000.
> >All printed pictures look great to me.
> >
> >Satoshi
> >

> IF YOU BUY AGAIN SATOSHI WILL TAKE IT IN THE SATUSHI

but if you buy from Canon, you will be assured of taking it it the Wazoo
($ wise)

Dan G wrote:

>Apparently the Formulabs change was recent. Alotofthings is saying they just
>found out about it today.

That is the problem with aftermarket vendors. They are and should be
responsible for what they know and for what they should know. The
industy needs to have some kind of regulation.

>But no word on when the older magenta will be in
>supply.
>
>Just my luck

IT IS NOT LUCK. IT IS THE WAY THE INDUSTRY IS AND ONE OF THE THINGS
WRONG WITH IT JUST LIKE I HAVE BEEN SAYING ALL ALONG.

In article <hacIe.1376$fJ1.780@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>,
inkystinky@oem.com says...

> Dan G wrote:
>
> >Apparently the Formulabs change was recent. Alotofthings is saying they just
> >found out about it today.
> >

> That is the problem with aftermarket vendors. They are and should be
> responsible for what they know and for what they should know. The
> industy needs to have some kind of regulation.

Thank God we've got the feds to regulate this for us. They can fix it up
like they did Iraq, our rep to the UN, and Social Security.

And we have Measly looking out for us too. I'm so relieved!

BURT

"Dan G" <Dan@xxxx.com> wrote in message
> Apparently the Formulabs change was recent. Alotofthings is saying they
> just
> found out about it today. But no word on when the older magenta will be in
> supply.
>
> Just my luck to get this newer formula, I'm trying to get them to replace
> it
> with the other.
>

> "Narusato" <Narusato@thuntek.net> wrote in message
>>
>> > Finally got a response from Alotofthings, and I was right. Apparently
>> > Formulabs made a change in the Magenta and it prints too heavy. Here's
>> > some
>> > snips:
>>
>> Do you have any informtion when they made a change in the Magenta?
>> I bought a bunch of bulk color inks from Alotofthings about 1.5 years
>> ago.
>> I am using them for my ip4000.
>> All printed pictures look great to me.
>>
>> Satoshi

(snip

There is information on this issue in the Nifty Forum. I gave you the link
in a previous post. From what I've read, Formulabs colors were very close
to OEM but they made an adjustment in Magenta to get an even closer match.
Looks like they didn't succeed! As you noted in other posts, Alotofthings
identified the adjusted color with a different code so as not to confuse the
new ink (with which you had a problem) with the old ink that Satoshi, Ron
Cohen, Taliesyn, and several others have found to be an excellent color
match. I would be surprised if they don't make good on a replacement. Call
and talk to them to be certain that the entire ink set wasn't "adjusted" but
that it was only the magenta. I've spoken with them several times by phone
and have found them to be forthright and helpful. Please report this info
and the follow up here and on the Nifty forum so all can benefit from your
experience.

Irwin Peckinloomer wrote:

>In article <hacIe.1376$fJ1.780@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>,
>inkystinky@oem.com says...
>

>>Dan G wrote:
>>

>>>Apparently the Formulabs change was recent. Alotofthings is saying they just
>>>found out about it today.
>>>

>>That is the problem with aftermarket vendors. They are and should be
>>responsible for what they know and for what they should know. The
>>industy needs to have some kind of regulation.
>>

>Thank God we've got the feds to regulate this for us. They can fix it up
>like they did Iraq, our rep to the UN, and Social Security.
>
>And we have Measly looking out for us too. I'm so relieved!

U MUST HAVE TAKEN A FRANK