Folder "Tasks"

I am having diffuculty with the "change folder icon" option on the
Customizing properties page of (a) folder. I recently needed to perform a
System Restore and had lost these customizations I had previously made, so
had to repeat them.
After browsing a bit to choose a new icon and then clicking OK or Apply, the
1st time one does this, a message pops up saying "To complete this... Folder
Tasks must be enabled. Do you want to enable folder tasks now? (Yes/No)"
In the past I just blindly clicked "Yes" and went on, life was great.
But, *this* last time I thought, maybe I'll look up what "folder tasks" are
in Help & Support *before* I just blindly go where no noid has gone
before.... B I G M I S T A K E!

Not only does a "folder tasks" keyword search in H&S (and many other places)
proove fruitless, but now when I try to make the same icon change again on
the folder, the popup won't even come back to let me go back to being a blind
noid where life is beatiful all the time... and the little men in their white
coats come and take me away.... ha-haaa....

The thought of having to restore my entire system *again* just for the sake
of this hiccup seems a little like renting a steam-shovel to cleanup a
steaming pile of Fido from the front lawn.
However... great apprecation and respect to anyone who can provide the
direction to where "folder tasks" can independantly-and-intentionally be
turned on/off!

Thanks

--
Patience is a virtue...
which one exercises only when needed. Therefore: practice every chance you

    Hi Danor,

    Open Windows Explorer, click Tools, Folder Options.
    On the General tab, under Tasks, click Show common tasks in folders.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Danor" <danor456L@passport.com.(donotspam)> wrote in message news:79BE93F7-1E01-431E-BF75-1E462CAB7B35@microsoft.com...
[...]

    Thank you, Ramesh! I really appreciate your reply.

    The next time you interface with MS, can you PLEASE urge them to get their
    own people who code dialog-boxes that say things like "*Folder tasks* must be
    enabled... do you want to turn *folder tasks*" on?" talk to the people who
    code control dialog-boxes like the one in the:
    > ... Windows Explorer, click Tools, Folder Options.
    > On the General tab, under Tasks, click Show common tasks in folders
    dialog box and have them BOTH USE THE SAME PHRASOLOGY, and THEN (omygosh
    what a novel idea this is) HAVE THAT SAME IDENTICAL PHRASOLOGY ACTUALLY BE
    FOUND WHEN USING THE HELP & SUPPORT SEARCH ENGINE FOR THE KEYWORDS "FOLDER
    TASK" AND THEN, EVEN, HAVE IT SAY:
    > Open Windows Explorer, click Tools, Folder Options.
    > On the General tab, under Tasks, click Show common tasks in folders.
    ???????
    It seems that would have been a functional Help & Support "task"
    successfully fulfilled...somewhat....

    "Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:

    > Hi Danor,
    >
    > Open Windows Explorer, click Tools, Folder Options.
    > On the General tab, under Tasks, click Show common tasks in folders.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Danor" <danor456L@passport.com.(donotspam)> wrote in message news:79BE93F7-1E01-431E-BF75-1E462CAB7B35@microsoft.com...
    > I am having diffuculty with the "change folder icon" option on the
    > Customizing properties page of (a) folder. I recently needed to perform a
    > System Restore and had lost these customizations I had previously made, so
    > had to repeat them.
    > After browsing a bit to choose a new icon and then clicking OK or Apply, the
    > 1st time one does this, a message pops up saying "To complete this... Folder
    > Tasks must be enabled. Do you want to enable folder tasks now? (Yes/No)"
    > In the past I just blindly clicked "Yes" and went on, life was great.
    > But, *this* last time I thought, maybe I'll look up what "folder tasks" are
    > in Help & Support *before* I just blindly go where no noid has gone
    > before.... B I G M I S T A K E!
    >
    > Not only does a "folder tasks" keyword search in H&S (and many other places)
    > proove fruitless, but now when I try to make the same icon change again on
    > the folder, the popup won't even come back to let me go back to being a blind
    > noid where life is beatiful all the time... and the little men in their white
    > coats come and take me away.... ha-haaa....
    >
    > The thought of having to restore my entire system *again* just for the sake
    > of this hiccup seems a little like renting a steam-shovel to cleanup a
    > steaming pile of Fido from the front lawn.
    > However... great apprecation and respect to anyone who can provide the
    > direction to where "folder tasks" can independantly-and-intentionally be
    > turned on/off!
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > --
    > Patience is a virtue...
    > which one exercises only when needed. Therefore: practice every chance you
    > get....
    > Computers will give you a LOT of practice!

    Danor,

    Common Tasks will be enabled by default when you install XP.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    Using ToolbarCop to remove the unwanted Toolband, Toolbar Icons and BHO:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/toolbarcop.htm

    "Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:

    > Hi Danor,
    >
    > Open Windows Explorer, click Tools, Folder Options.
    > On the General tab, under Tasks, click Show common tasks in folders.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Danor" <danor456L@passport.com.(donotspam)> wrote in message news:79BE93F7-1E01-431E-BF75-1E462CAB7B35@microsoft.com...
    > I am having diffuculty with the "change folder icon" option on the
    > Customizing properties page of (a) folder. I recently needed to perform a
    > System Restore and had lost these customizations I had previously made, so
    > had to repeat them.
    > After browsing a bit to choose a new icon and then clicking OK or Apply, the
    > 1st time one does this, a message pops up saying "To complete this... Folder
    > Tasks must be enabled. Do you want to enable folder tasks now? (Yes/No)"
    > In the past I just blindly clicked "Yes" and went on, life was great.
    > But, *this* last time I thought, maybe I'll look up what "folder tasks" are
    > in Help & Support *before* I just blindly go where no noid has gone
    > before.... B I G M I S T A K E!
    >
    > Not only does a "folder tasks" keyword search in H&S (and many other places)
    > proove fruitless, but now when I try to make the same icon change again on
    > the folder, the popup won't even come back to let me go back to being a blind
    > noid where life is beatiful all the time... and the little men in their white
    > coats come and take me away.... ha-haaa....
    >
    > The thought of having to restore my entire system *again* just for the sake
    > of this hiccup seems a little like renting a steam-shovel to cleanup a
    > steaming pile of Fido from the front lawn.
    > However... great apprecation and respect to anyone who can provide the
    > direction to where "folder tasks" can independantly-and-intentionally be
    > turned on/off!
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > --
    > Patience is a virtue...
    > which one exercises only when needed. Therefore: practice every chance you
    > get....
    > Computers will give you a LOT of practice!

Windows XP