I am having diffuculty with the "change folder icon" option on the
Customizing properties page of (a) folder. I recently needed to perform a
System Restore and had lost these customizations I had previously made, so
had to repeat them.
After browsing a bit to choose a new icon and then clicking OK or Apply, the
1st time one does this, a message pops up saying "To complete this... Folder
Tasks must be enabled. Do you want to enable folder tasks now? (Yes/No)"
In the past I just blindly clicked "Yes" and went on, life was great.
But, *this* last time I thought, maybe I'll look up what "folder tasks" are
in Help & Support *before* I just blindly go where no noid has gone
before.... B I G M I S T A K E!

Not only does a "folder tasks" keyword search in H&S (and many other places)
proove fruitless, but now when I try to make the same icon change again on
the folder, the popup won't even come back to let me go back to being a blind
noid where life is beatiful all the time... and the little men in their white
coats come and take me away.... ha-haaa....

The thought of having to restore my entire system *again* just for the sake
of this hiccup seems a little like renting a steam-shovel to cleanup a
steaming pile of Fido from the front lawn.
However... great apprecation and respect to anyone who can provide the
direction to where "folder tasks" can independantly-and-intentionally be
turned on/off!

Thanks

--
Patience is a virtue...
which one exercises only when needed. Therefore: practice every chance you

Hi Danor,

Open Windows Explorer, click Tools, Folder Options.
On the General tab, under Tasks, click Show common tasks in folders.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Danor" <danor456L@passport.com.(donotspam)> wrote in message news:79BE93F7-1E01-431E-BF75-1E462CAB7B35@microsoft.com...
[...]

Thank you, Ramesh! I really appreciate your reply.

The next time you interface with MS, can you PLEASE urge them to get their
own people who code dialog-boxes that say things like "*Folder tasks* must be
enabled... do you want to turn *folder tasks*" on?" talk to the people who
code control dialog-boxes like the one in the:
> ... Windows Explorer, click Tools, Folder Options.
> On the General tab, under Tasks, click Show common tasks in folders
dialog box and have them BOTH USE THE SAME PHRASOLOGY, and THEN (omygosh
what a novel idea this is) HAVE THAT SAME IDENTICAL PHRASOLOGY ACTUALLY BE
FOUND WHEN USING THE HELP & SUPPORT SEARCH ENGINE FOR THE KEYWORDS "FOLDER
TASK" AND THEN, EVEN, HAVE IT SAY:
> Open Windows Explorer, click Tools, Folder Options.
> On the General tab, under Tasks, click Show common tasks in folders.
???????
It seems that would have been a functional Help & Support "task"
successfully fulfilled...somewhat....

"Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:

> Hi Danor,
>
> Open Windows Explorer, click Tools, Folder Options.
> On the General tab, under Tasks, click Show common tasks in folders.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Danor" <danor456L@passport.com.(donotspam)> wrote in message news:79BE93F7-1E01-431E-BF75-1E462CAB7B35@microsoft.com...
> I am having diffuculty with the "change folder icon" option on the
> Customizing properties page of (a) folder. I recently needed to perform a
> System Restore and had lost these customizations I had previously made, so
> had to repeat them.
> After browsing a bit to choose a new icon and then clicking OK or Apply, the
> 1st time one does this, a message pops up saying "To complete this... Folder
> Tasks must be enabled. Do you want to enable folder tasks now? (Yes/No)"
> In the past I just blindly clicked "Yes" and went on, life was great.
> But, *this* last time I thought, maybe I'll look up what "folder tasks" are
> in Help & Support *before* I just blindly go where no noid has gone
> before.... B I G M I S T A K E!
>
> Not only does a "folder tasks" keyword search in H&S (and many other places)
> proove fruitless, but now when I try to make the same icon change again on
> the folder, the popup won't even come back to let me go back to being a blind
> noid where life is beatiful all the time... and the little men in their white
> coats come and take me away.... ha-haaa....
>
> The thought of having to restore my entire system *again* just for the sake
> of this hiccup seems a little like renting a steam-shovel to cleanup a
> steaming pile of Fido from the front lawn.
> However... great apprecation and respect to anyone who can provide the
> direction to where "folder tasks" can independantly-and-intentionally be
> turned on/off!
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Patience is a virtue...
> which one exercises only when needed. Therefore: practice every chance you
> get....
> Computers will give you a LOT of practice!

Danor,

Common Tasks will be enabled by default when you install XP.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

Using ToolbarCop to remove the unwanted Toolband, Toolbar Icons and BHO:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/toolbarcop.htm