qwazzy

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
OK, I just got my processor 10 minutes ago. It's in the socket, HSF and all. But it wont POST/boot. My memory requires more power than the mobo will provied. Is this true? Do I just buy cheap memory or something to change voltages?

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
OK, I just got my processor 10 minutes ago. It's in the socket, HSF and all. But it wont POST/boot. My memory requires more power than the mobo will provied. Is this true? Do I just buy cheap memory or something to change voltages?

What memory are you using?

Check the motherboard forums for any DS3 fixes, too.
THG Gigabyte Forum

qwazzy

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006

What memory are you using?

Check the motherboard forums for any DS3 fixes, too.

G. SKill 2 GB CAS 3. BTW, on their site it says it is supported by the Gigabyte boards.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
If you do have the Cas3 memory, it is not listed in there tested memory page. Neither the 6400CL3 or 5400CL3 is listed being tested with the DS3 board.

The PHUxx series are, but they are Cas4 modules.

qwazzy

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
If it's 5400CL3 like what NMDante said then you've got yourself Micron D9GMH as well. G.SKILL doesn't make any 6400CL3 from what I remember.

Take the board to a shop and have it flashed to the latest (currently F4) BIOS. Hopefully they'll do it for free even if you didn't purchase from them. Or borrow a cheap/any DDR2 stick to get it boot up so you can change the voltage.

Try using just one stick as well in different slots and see if that boots up.

Anyway, once it boots up it's very important you flash it to the latest BIOS first before you do anything.

Actually a friend at Fry's said he is willing to do it. BUT I was wrong about the memory. It was CAS4 and they dont sell it on Newegg anymore.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
I found an open box here.That's my memory but I didn't buy it opened.

Hmm...those are tested with DS3 @ the G.Skill site.

Did you try posting with just 1 module? It should still post, just not in dual channel. If both work seperately, there might be an issue with your dual channel configuration on the motherboard.

Just a suggestion.

qwazzy

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
I found an open box here.That's my memory but I didn't buy it opened.

Hmm...those are tested with DS3 @ the G.Skill site.

Did you try posting with just 1 module? It should still post, just not in dual channel. If both work seperately, there might be an issue with your dual channel configuration on the motherboard.

Just a suggestion.

Yeah, they are. That's why I got them. I'll go to Fry's tomorrow and they said they'll let me use a stick of DDR2.