Windows 7 and RAID 1

twisted politiks

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
i have an asus m2a7-am motherboard. i setup the raid 1 in the onboard driver by pressing ctrl+y during post. i created a raid 1 array with my two 1tb drives. installed windows 7 x64 on a separate 80gb drive. i didnt install raid drivers, as i have read they are already in windows 7, and the raid 1 drive already showed up, but i didnt format it. i ended up formatting it in computer management after installation of the OS finished. it is now viewable and i can store data on it. i am still not 100% sure if it is setup in a raid 1 or if its just using 1 drive. is there any way to make sure that i am using the full raid 1 setup?

Solution
Actually seeing as windows is on an 80GB, the first indication within windows would be seeing 3 harddrives. I also suggest checking within disk management to double check if your worried. Also, seeing as this is a server please remember that RAID1 is NOT a backup solution. It protects against the loss of a drive, nothing more.

inquisitor03

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
Easiest way to tell is to go into Computer Management, then, Disk Management. From there you'll see all the drives installed on your system. To the left of the partition you will see Disk 0, Disk 1, Disk 2, etc. Right click on the box that you think is your RAID 1 and then click properties.

Under device type it will either say Disk Drives (If a single Hard Disk) Or it will give you the name of the Asus Raid controller or Raid Array name or Raid Type that it is setup as.

It is impossible to tell just by looking at the drive size in a RAID 1 configuration as the RAID and a single drive (Non Raid) will show as the same size!

That's exactly how it's supposed to look.

inquisitor03

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
Your not understanding the problem the op is having. He's worried how to tell if the RAID is active or not.

As he is doing RAID 1 the size of a single hard disk will be 1TB. The size of the RAID1 will be 1TB!!!!

Yes 1TB should be the total size of the RAID1 but he needs to know how to tell if it's the 1TB created from the Array or just a single drive

I understand the problem perfectly. The first indication within Windows of the raid array being inactive would be 2 hard drives appearing in the Computer window, provided both are formatted. As you said, the disk management console can be used to verify the raid's status. The raid controller status screen just after POST can also be used.

4745454b

Titan
Actually seeing as windows is on an 80GB, the first indication within windows would be seeing 3 harddrives. I also suggest checking within disk management to double check if your worried. Also, seeing as this is a server please remember that RAID1 is NOT a backup solution. It protects against the loss of a drive, nothing more.

Solution

Oops, you're right. 3 drives it is.

twisted politiks

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008

ive read that and decided to go another way. i have each hard drive as an individual drive, and i'm backing up the 1st 1TB hdd to the 2nd 1TB hdd nightly. i am only using windows 7's built in backup software, is this reliable. if not, does anybody have any good suggestions for a better program?

G

I have the same stiutation .

The current system im using is an intel core i7 ,intel x58so,4gb ddr3 1066 ,1gb 256bit 9600gt,2pcs. 250gb SEAGATE HARD DISK SATA.O.S. WINDOWS 7 x64

-I tried to set up my system for RAID ,i followed the instruction on the motherboard manual(intel) on how to install the raid successfully.

-i installed my windows 7 x64 ,with the Marvell RAID driver to detect RAID drives , did that and finished the installation .installed the drivers too for chipset,sounds,matrix console also .

i tried to test my system by disconnecting the 2nd SATA CABLE drives to test if i had a successful setup but to no avail it failed.

I was wondering where i went wrong with my setup with my RAID.

PLS HELP

If you've disconnected one drive, it will report a drive failure or drive degration but should continue to work. if you reconnect the drive, it should try and rebuild from the good drive, this of course assumes you setup raid-1 and not raid-0 which justs puts the disks together to create one big drive.