Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What is stepping?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
August 29, 2006 6:13:06 PM

I heard people refer to new stepping for Core 2 Duo and also in reference to the 965 chipset. Is stepping mean physical changes or upgrades to the hardware?

More about : stepping

August 29, 2006 6:37:14 PM

Good question. I too will eagerly await some input as I am in the same wonderment. I also like to use un-necessary words like wonderment. In fact I'm not even sure it is a word...Although I think I've heard it used before. :-)
August 29, 2006 6:39:47 PM

Quote:
I heard people refer to new stepping for Core 2 Duo and also in reference to the 965 chipset. Is stepping mean physical changes or upgrades to the hardware?


Linkie

Easy and simple to understand. Not 100% if it's that simple, but...

:) 
Related resources
August 29, 2006 6:53:14 PM

OK, so it's just a geeks way of saying version. Got it. now that I know that, what is the stepping version on the current Core 2 Duo's? And when are they do to change? Should I hold off a few weeks before ordering to try to get the latest stepping?

Also, I heard some folks mentions waiting until September to get a new motherboard due to stepping revisions. Any details on this?
August 29, 2006 7:00:05 PM

Quote:
OK, so it's just a geeks way of saying version. Got it. now that I know that, what is the stepping version on the current Core 2 Duo's? And when are they do to change? Should I hold off a few weeks before ordering to try to get the latest stepping?

Also, I heard some folks mentions waiting until September to get a new motherboard due to stepping revisions. Any details on this?


Well, there are always new steppings being made. Those are usually small changes. The biggest problem is that you won't know what stepping you get when you buy the CPU until you get it home, unless you just happen to know how to read the code on the box or CPU itself, same thing happened with Intel's 975xbx board, where people were looking for rev 3.04 for C2D support. I work in a fab that makes these CPUs, and even I have no idea how to read those 12-16 random codes.

People who are waiting for new steppings are expecting better compatiblity with certain BIOs for motherboards, I suspect. But a new CPU stepping isn't a guarantee of that.

If you are looking to build or upgrade, just feel comfortable more with your budget than with what stepping CPU you get. If the CPU won't work or the motherboard/CPU has issues, then you can always exchange or get a replacement for either. I have yet to see an issue with any CPU stepping in any of the systems I have built.
August 29, 2006 7:11:16 PM

So once you do receive your C2D, how do you check the stepping? Is it via a software utility?

And what of the talk on this forum about a new stepping for the C2D to correct erratum? Is that a concern?
August 29, 2006 7:16:59 PM

OK, I just read one C2D review which revealed the Revision and Stepping via a utility called CPU-Z. The reviewer test C2D's with stepping 4 but said the public could expect stepping 6.

What version stepping do you guys have? The revision tested btw was B0.
August 29, 2006 7:18:39 PM

Quote:
OK, I just read one C2D review which revealed the Revision and Stepping via a utility called CPU-Z. The reviewer test C2D's with stepping 4 but said the public could expect stepping 6.

What version stepping do you guys have? The revision tested btw was B0.


I don't know what stepping my C2D chip is, since I don't have it yet. My chips won't be here until September. =(
August 29, 2006 7:18:40 PM

CPU-Z is a program that will tell you the stepping. I got one of the first versions of Allendale E6400 with an old stepping...Im not sure if thats the reason I can't get to 3.0Ghz stable with my Gigabyte DS3 or not.
August 29, 2006 7:41:29 PM

ehh i might have the newer one, i have family 6 model F stepping 6 revison B2, coverclocking i know this thing does 333mhz without issues but my northbridge hates it... ill see how far it goes.. after i find a way to freeze the northrbidge..
!