First Complete HTML5 Spec Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
Good!
Hope youtube removes flash completely. I hate how it becomes unresponsive when made to run without hardware acceleration, and I hate how it throttles my gpu when in hardware acceleration.

jujuvivi

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
So much needed!
W3C Recommendation:
HTML 4: 24 December 1999
HTML 5: Q4 2014 (?)
15 years after while Internet was in its beginning phases.

Still, I am impressed to see how much browsers have already implemented (between 74% and 94%).

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
[citation][nom]virtualban[/nom]Good!Hope youtube removes flash completely. I hate how it becomes unresponsive when made to run without hardware acceleration, and I hate how it throttles my gpu when in hardware acceleration.[/citation]
It's a serious accomplishment from Adobe to get Flash to use as much resources as it does currently.

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]You mean Opera is more HTML5 compliant than FF ? Then why the hell does Opera render so many sites improperly ?[/citation]
Because the sites themselves are crap.
It's not that a browser support things like they should that the sites are made like they should.

john15v16

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Good!
Hope youtube removes flash completely. I hate how it becomes unresponsive when made to run without hardware acceleration, and I hate how it throttles my gpu when in hardware acceleration.

It has been a while since people started playing around with HTML5, and still nowadays there are some people that come with some comparisons between Flash and HTML5. I am a little bit tired about all this, and to be honest I am totally convinced that HTML5 and Flash are completely different solutions which make everything a bit pointless when comparing both, it is so clear to me what/when to use HTML5 or Flash.

HTML5 is here to stay, it is for us, and it is for helping us with that boring monkey job nobody wants to do like building a video player with a scroll slider progress bar and some navigation buttons, or making a basic photo gallery with enchanted options, etc. If you are trying to do something more complicated than that, I am afraid you have to be prepared to waste a lot of time dealing with very annoying things like cross browser inconsistencies, performance issues, plus you never know if that thing will work in new browsers in the future. The main problem of HTML is and will be always consistency; it looks different among browsers when you are dealing with advanced features, careful, it could be a big pain, keep it simple if you want to sleep well.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
[citation][nom]john15v16[/nom]It has been a while since people started playing around with HTML5, and still nowadays there are some people that come with some comparisons between Flash and HTML5. I am a little bit tired about all this, and to be honest I am totally convinced that HTML5 and Flash are completely different solutions which make everything a bit pointless when comparing both, it is so clear to me what/when to use HTML5 or Flash.HTML5 is here to stay, it is for us, and it is for helping us with that boring monkey job nobody wants to do like building a video player with a scroll slider progress bar and some navigation buttons, or making a basic photo gallery with enchanted options, etc. If you are trying to do something more complicated than that, I am afraid you have to be prepared to waste a lot of time dealing with very annoying things like cross browser inconsistencies, performance issues, plus you never know if that thing will work in new browsers in the future. The main problem of HTML is and will be always consistency; it looks different among browsers when you are dealing with advanced features, careful, it could be a big pain, keep it simple if you want to sleep well.[/citation]
And I still hate flash. And I still want a fluid experience while in youtube without having hardware acceleration and gpu throttling. If Adobe is not up for the task, I sure hope Html5 is.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
You heard about HTML5 all but replacing Flash-based media services, and that Flash support has been preemptively and vocally abandoned by so many web-based services (and devices), but HTML5 is so slow to be adopted and implemented. Youtube began their "trial" HTML5-based project almost 3 years ago (Jan 2010). Yet despite having joined the HTML5 trial, more than 99% of the videos I have come across play in Flash (using Chrome), not HTML5.

john15v16

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
And I still hate flash. And I still want a fluid experience while in youtube without having hardware acceleration and gpu throttling. If Adobe is not up for the task, I sure hope Html5 is.

@virtualban

Hardware acceleration and gpu throttling are a benefit and assist in a fluid experience. This is something that is transparent to you as a user. HTML5 has and is also moving more into the hardware acceleration arena as well. So hardware acceleration and gpu throttling is here to stay.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
[citation][nom]john15v16[/nom]@virtualbanHardware acceleration and gpu throttling are a benefit and assist in a fluid experience. This is something that is transparent to you as a user. HTML5 has and is also moving more into the hardware acceleration arena as well. So hardware acceleration and gpu throttling is here to stay.[/citation]
Well, if the gpu throttles because the software assumes I am not doing something that deserves all the gpu power I have, if the framerate at a multiplayer game suffers because there is a flash window in the background that helps me wait till the raid party is ready, I call it a bad design.

john15v16

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Well, if the gpu throttles because the software assumes I am not doing something that deserves all the gpu power I have, if the framerate at a multiplayer game suffers because there is a flash window in the background that helps me wait till the raid party is ready, I call it a bad design.

Firstly, who watches YouTube video while playing a full screen multiplier game like World of Warcraft anyway? And secondly, if your monkey cpu/gpu isn't powerful enough to handle it then, you have bigger problems than Flash/HTML5 hardware acceleration and gpu throttling...

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
[citation][nom]john15v16[/nom]Firstly, who watches YouTube video while playing a full screen multiplier game like World of Warcraft anyway? And secondly, if your monkey cpu/gpu isn't powerful enough to handle it then, you have bigger problems than Flash/HTML5 hardware acceleration and gpu throttling...[/citation]
Well, right... you don't have multiple monitor setup, I get it.
And, going from 775 MHz GPU core to 400 MHz GPU core, yes, I notice it. It handles them, but I still don't like when it happens.

Computers are meant to be multitasking. Even if I don't watch while playing, I can pause and switch applications.

You like it your way, I like it my way, and right now I like to disable gpu acceleration, accepting occasional flash unresponsive.

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Last time I checked, Maxthon was still the most HTML5 compliant browser, followed by Chrome and Opera. Then comes Safari, Firefox and IE10.

And to the question why Opera still has problems...well, a few bugs now and then, but mostly browser sniffing. You can't believe how many sites won't work until you mask Opera as "Firefox".

I don't know why they do this honestly.

srap

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
[citation][nom]Cryio[/nom]Last time I checked, Maxthon was still the most HTML5 compliant browser.[/citation]
A.) Maxthorn is not present on Caniuseit.com
B.) There were cases when Max was charged with cheating on standard support tests, claiming non-existing support for html5 or css3 elements

Fokissed

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
[citation][nom]virtualban[/nom]Well, if the gpu throttles because the software assumes I am not doing something that deserves all the gpu power I have, if the framerate at a multiplayer game suffers because there is a flash window in the background that helps me wait till the raid party is ready, I call it a bad design.[/citation]
The GPU throttle is a driver-related issue (with 400MHz core being an AMD specific problem). You can always flash a custom firmware on to the card, or disable hardware acceleration (your CPU is likely powerful enough to handle flash in software, and it won't throttle).

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
@Fokissed
Yes, AMD and driver and known issue. I can also fix the clocks in the driver, which will make the Gpu go full speed even when doing simple things on non gpu related. Right now I just disable the acceleration, but it does affect the responsiveness of flash in small things such as menu.
On a side note, the colours look a tiny bit better without hardware acceleration. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.