1st time builder (multimedia/editing rig)

jpp

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Not a bad build, but make the following changes:

CPU: AM2 version of the same CPU.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103735
Same Price- free shipping

MB: Change to the Asus M2N-E.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131022
$92.99

V/C: Fine

S/C: yeah

RAM: Change to http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231087
About the same price.

rest is fine..

Basically, going AM2 allows you to upgrade your CPU to 65nm dual core in Dec or quad core in 2007. S939 is a nice platform, but an upgrade deadend.

jpp

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Not really sure what you mean by "65nm dual core" - care to shed some light? Also, that motherboard has no firewire input, which I need for when I edit video...any other suggestions?

big_tuna

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
the setup looks good but as duck said i also recommend going with the new am2 platform.you should be able to find a motherboard with firewire and still stay close to price range. that allows more future headroom to upgrade for less later

0zzy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
I would change the CPU to the AM2 version as well.

AM2 is the new platform for AMD CPUs. In the coming future new CPUs will be based on this platform, so u will be able to upgrade the CPU.

AM2 is based on 90nm technology. The next AMD CPU will be based on 65nm technology. Basically the 2 figures are the size of the die on the CPU. The 65nm CPU will consume less Power and also emit less heat. It will be more efficient.

Hope this helps.

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
i wouldn't listen to these recommendations to go AM2 unless you plan on doing 1 of 2 things, either
1) plan on upgrading within the year...
2) it saves you money to go AM2

otherwise performance between socket 939 vs AM2 (even though AM2 is newer)is exactly the same and for how often the average user upgrades(not a tom's forum avg builder) by the time you consider upgrading again new technology will be out and most likely be imcompatible with what you have and you will purchase an entire new computer so unless you save some money or you do plan on upgrading then just stick with what you have

i would consider changing the gfx to the 7300GT though

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Not really sure what you mean by "65nm dual core" - care to shed some light? Also, that motherboard has no firewire input, which I need for when I edit video...any other suggestions?

AMD is moving to a 65nm process in late 2006 that should increase performace while reducing power consumption.

You can add Firewire easily in the form of a $20 PCI card.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished

AMD is moving to a 65nm process in late 2006 that should increase performace while reducing power consumption.

You can add Firewire easily in the form of a $20 PCI card.
It won't increase performance. A shrink to 65nm will increase the ability for the processor to scale higher (clock higher). But clock for clock... both 65nm and 90nm processors should be the same seeing as AMD aren't making any changes (tweaks) with the die shrink.

As for the posters setup, I find it odd that no one mentioned an x1x00 series video card from ATi instead. The poster did say this was going to be a multimedia, editing rig. These are ATi's strengths and the x1x00 series highlights this.

I would recommend an x1600 Pro 256MB priced at $84USD. It outperforms the 7300GT and even the 7600GS and is well priced too boot.

You get AVIVO Video Hardware Assisted Video Transcoding/Encoding. This greatly reduces your encoding times by about 300%. What used to take 10mins on a Dual Core CPU takes about 3mins. Now imagine a larger file that normally would take 3hrs to encode?

Also ATi's Multimedia package (Multimedia Center) makes it easier to view, edit and author Video files. I highly recommend it.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
ASUS EAX1600PRO/TD/256M Radeon X1600PRO 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

Is that the card you were talking about? I'm definately interested in lowering encoding times.

edit: I'm assuming you were talking about this card (after reading another post of yours) SAPPHIRE 100144ADVL Radeon X1600PRO 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 CrossFire Video Card - Retail

Both those cards are based on an ATi x1600 Pro VPU. Both support Hardware Assisted AVIVO TRanscoding and Encoding. The tool that you must use (AVIVO encoding tool) comes with the ATi Catalyst drivers available for free on ATi's website.

It's amazing how fast it can encode or transcode Video files.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
Get a 7300GT leave that junk 6600 and consider buying a intel CPU it's more suited for your work

I agree regarding the Intel Core 2 Duo system instead. It's a known fact that Intel's Core 2 Duo is better at Multimedia, encoding and gaming (actually pretty much everything) clock for clock then AMD's Athlon64 architecture.

The lowest end model of the Core 2 Duo Lineup isn't that much more expensive then that X2 3800+ you're looking at. The X2 3800+ 1MB Cache is priced at around ~152USD. Now compare that to an Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 2MB Cache processor priced at ~193USD. Now you can pair the Core 2 Duo with this G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC2 5400 RAM $169USD (it won't perform any faster with PC2 6400 due to it's VERY efficient DDR-II memory bus). And now add a Great motherboard being this Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 Socket T (LGA 775) Intel P965 Express Motherboard for $119USD.

And voila.. it costs you $481USD and performs like an AMD Athlon64 X2 4600+ system when run at stock speeds. If overclocked it can easilly surpass an AMD Athlon FX-62 system.

Now you decide... (Motherboard/CPU/Memory Combo):
Significantly slower AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+ AM2 @ $445USD
or
Significantly faster Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 @ $481USD
for only $36USD more.

Your call. But seriously.. it should be a no brainer.

PS... The Gigabyte board is based on an Intel Chipset and supports Intel's quad Core Kentsfield right out of the box. ;)

Blue Keep as you posted
Red Change to what I posted

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 2MB Cache processor priced at ~193USD

M/B: Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 Socket T (LGA 775) Intel P965 Express Motherboard for $119USD.

V/C: Sapphire ATi Radeon x1600Pro 256MB $85USD

S/C: onboard

RAM: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC2 5400 RAM $169USD

HDD: 320GB Seagate 7200.10 16MB Cache HD $95USD

Case: COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel, SECC ATX M...Tower C

P/S: SeaSonic S12-430 ATX12V 430W Power Supply $100USD

DVD: NEC 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE/ATAPI Model ND-3550A - OEM

That's my recommendation. It would come out to around $840 before shipping I believe. (free 3-day shipping). Of course this is mainly due to the Power Supply switch. Of course the Thermaltake is a Great Buy. If you opt for the Thermaltake then the system cost would be $769.99USD + any shipping costs. Still either way.. Core 2 Duo is well within your reach..;)

jpp

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Yea, I have an external hdd right now that I'm going to throw in there, and as for another one I'll probably just wait for a good deal to come by then pick one up.

Why the change in P/S?

I do like the idea on the core 2 duo.

I'd must rather do $770 then $840, of course, but if the p/s is that big of a deal I might have to get the seasonic one. I just want to know why it would be better.

Thanks for all your guys' help!

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
Yea, I have an external hdd right now that I'm going to throw in there, and as for another one I'll probably just wait for a good deal to come by then pick one up.

Why the change in P/S?

I do like the idea on the core 2 duo.

I'd must rather do $770 then $840, of course, but if the p/s is that big of a deal I might have to get the seasonic one. I just want to know why it would be better.

Thanks for all your guys' help!

It's not really something you'd notice right off the bat. But it could help you (ensure) you get a stable system and not run into problems. Seasonic Power Supplies have VERY stable RAILS that deviate only slightly. They also do not turn Power into heat like Antec and Thermaltake Power Supplies do. They're quite efficient ranging from 80-85% (vs 60-75% for Thermaltake and Antec Power Supplies).

It's your call... if you feel comfortable with the Thermaltake power supply then by all means get it :)