Oblivion wishes...

Hi all,

just noticed the announciation of Oblivion (i'm not
too actively watching for new games ;-)), read a bit
about it, and want to write a few thoughts to discuss...

-World size
In the interviews they say, the world will be similar
or smaller size but with a plot guidance feature so you
don't get "lost".
Well *I* hope the world is at least the same size, and
with more stuff in it. Something like the density of
Seyda neem, for the whole world.
And stuff to find that is actually usefull when you
have the level to find it (read: not just an iron
sparksword in a hard to find underwatercave full
of fish and merfolk)

-More action based combat system with "real blocking"
I found MW combat system pretty nice. Ok, i didn't
melee much anyways... i just pray they don't add
platform jumping sequences, too ;-)

-Hardware requirements
One mentioned number was

Pentium 4 @ 2Ghz or Athlon 2000+.
256-512MB of RAM.
ATi Radeon 9600 or equivilent and above.
DirectX 9.0 compatable soundcard

Thats about what i would call good for Morrowind
(its pretty much the PC i assembled to play MW on it).
Interpolating from that, and the screenhots, i'd rather
guess something like

Dual Opteron 2.6 ghz
4 GB of RAM
Dual GeForce 7800 GTX in SLI

to play with maximum details :-)

But in overall, it sounds very very very very very
interesting...
24 answers Last reply
More about oblivion wishes

    On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 15:58:34 +0200, Andreas Koch
    <mail@kochandreas.com> wrote:

    >-More action based combat system with "real blocking"
    >I found MW combat system pretty nice. Ok, i didn't
    >melee much anyways... i just pray they don't add
    >platform jumping sequences, too ;-)

    I'm a little worried about this. They've tried toughening up the
    combat in past games with disastrous results. I'm thinking
    Battlespire and Redguard. I was really looking forward to Redguard
    but I gave up after the first half hour because the combat was just
    impossible. I got through Battlespire but it was difficult -- they
    didn't include an easy combat setting.

    I don't think they realize that a lot of people actually LIKE easy
    combat and prefer to approach the games in a more exploratory,
    easygoing manner. I am terrible at twitchy fighting and can't play
    FPS games for that reason.

    I hope they won't make it so hard that those of us with slow reflexes
    won't be able to play and if they do there is truly "easy" setting.

    Alexa

    alexa expounded thusly:

    > I'm a little worried about this. They've tried toughening up the
    > combat in past games with disastrous results. I'm thinking
    > Battlespire and Redguard. I was really looking forward to Redguard
    > but I gave up after the first half hour because the combat was just
    > impossible. I got through Battlespire but it was difficult -- they
    > didn't include an easy combat setting.
    >
    > I don't think they realize that a lot of people actually LIKE easy
    > combat and prefer to approach the games in a more exploratory,
    > easygoing manner. I am terrible at twitchy fighting and can't play
    > FPS games for that reason.
    >
    > I hope they won't make it so hard that those of us with slow reflexes
    > won't be able to play and if they do there is truly "easy" setting.

    You're right. And the more "action" elements they put in, the more the
    RPG character suffers. I don't play FPS, action, or platform type
    stuff. If they just *have* to put those elements in, they should at
    least make it toggleable so it can remain an RPG.

    -mb

    That's why they put the 'difficulty' slider in options.

    alexa wrote:

    > I'm a little worried about this. They've tried toughening up the
    > combat in past games with disastrous results. I'm thinking
    > Battlespire and Redguard. I was really looking forward to Redguard
    > but I gave up after the first half hour because the combat was just
    > impossible. I got through Battlespire but it was difficult -- they
    > didn't include an easy combat setting.
    >
    > I don't think they realize that a lot of people actually LIKE easy
    > combat and prefer to approach the games in a more exploratory,
    > easygoing manner. I am terrible at twitchy fighting and can't play
    > FPS games for that reason.
    >
    > I hope they won't make it so hard that those of us with slow reflexes
    > won't be able to play and if they do there is truly "easy" setting.
    >
    > Alexa

    Hi,

    "alexa" <xandbar@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 15:58:34 +0200, Andreas Koch
    > <mail@kochandreas.com> wrote:
    >
    >>-More action based combat system with "real blocking"
    >>I found MW combat system pretty nice. Ok, i didn't
    >>melee much anyways... i just pray they don't add
    >>platform jumping sequences, too ;-)
    >
    > I'm a little worried about this. They've tried toughening up the
    > combat in past games with disastrous results. I'm thinking
    > Battlespire and Redguard. I was really looking forward to Redguard
    > but I gave up after the first half hour because the combat was just
    > impossible. I got through Battlespire but it was difficult -- they
    > didn't include an easy combat setting.
    >
    > I don't think they realize that a lot of people actually LIKE easy
    > combat and prefer to approach the games in a more exploratory,
    > easygoing manner. I am terrible at twitchy fighting and can't play
    > FPS games for that reason.
    Yes, I for one am such a guy. I hate tough battles. I like RPG's more for
    the questing storytelling and the graphics (exploring the environment etc.)

    > I hope they won't make it so hard that those of us with slow reflexes
    > won't be able to play and if they do there is truly "easy" setting.

    I hoped they would create another morrowind game with better graphics (and
    less CTD's :-( ).

    > Alexa

    Regards, Ron AF Greve

    On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 13:20:19 -0500, alexa <xandbar@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >I don't think they realize that a lot of people actually LIKE easy
    >combat and prefer to approach the games in a more exploratory,
    >easygoing manner. I am terrible at twitchy fighting and can't play
    >FPS games for that reason.
    >
    >I hope they won't make it so hard that those of us with slow reflexes
    >won't be able to play and if they do there is truly "easy" setting.

    So long as they keep their word about modding ability, this shouldn't be
    an insurmountable problem. I can see that 'Ring of Easy Mode' now, with
    it's 50% damage resistance...
    --
    Greg Johnson
    Give your child mental blocks for Christmas.

    On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 11:09:11 +1000, Greg Johnson <greg.gsj@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >So long as they keep their word about modding ability, this shouldn't be
    >an insurmountable problem. I can see that 'Ring of Easy Mode' now, with
    >it's 50% damage resistance...
    >--
    >Greg Johnson
    >Give your child mental blocks for Christmas.

    It bothers me because I just read an interview stating that the combat
    will be twitch-controlled (as opposed to stat and/or slider
    controlled). Blocking will be dependent on how well you move the
    "block" key defensively and not the skill itself. Scoring a direct
    hit with a weapon will be the same. I guess the stats will figure
    into it somehow -- they would have to in order to matter -- although
    they don't say exactly how. But they did say that you have to
    manually block and hit successfully in order to succeed in combat.

    You're right though. If it is too difficult I have no doubt some
    modder with come up with a good work-around.

    Alexa

    alexa wrote:
    > It bothers me because I just read an interview stating that the combat
    > will be twitch-controlled (as opposed to stat and/or slider
    > controlled). Blocking will be dependent on how well you move the
    > "block" key defensively and not the skill itself. Scoring a direct
    > hit with a weapon will be the same. I guess the stats will figure
    > into it somehow -- they would have to in order to matter -- although
    > they don't say exactly how. But they did say that you have to
    > manually block and hit successfully in order to succeed in combat.

    I've read in another interview that the players reaction will
    decide upon hit or not, but the chars skills will decide how
    much damage is done and how much stamina is used.

    To be honest, i don't recall any "not hitting the monster when
    i stand before it and swing at it" in Morrowind. Probably
    "normal" is an too easy setting ;-)

    I like to play FPS from time to time, but i don't need too
    much action in an RPG ...

    On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 20:21:27 +0200, Andreas Koch
    <mail@kochandreas.com> wrote:

    >To be honest, i don't recall any "not hitting the monster when
    >i stand before it and swing at it" in Morrowind. Probably
    >"normal" is an too easy setting ;-)

    I can, and I also have the difficulty slider at the default. Try
    taking a character with an Axe Skill at 7 and try swinging an axe at a
    mudcrab. You will see many more misses than hits.
    --
    Nyctolops

    I can't image a decent role playing game that used "twitch control".
    But I have seen good role playing games that used player interaction as
    a part of combat (Ultima Underworld comes to mind). As for jumping
    puzzles, I found getting the magic axe out of the treestump in Seyda
    Neen more than enough jumping. (and it is entirely optional)

    "This is the quote that horrified me -- 'You must actively block with
    your shield, then effectively swing (tap for standard attack, hold for
    power attack, tap plus direction for slash, etc.)" "

    That type of attack was what UWI used....but it was at what I'd call a
    more thoughtful pace--not "twitch". MW already works somewhat this way
    in that holding the attack key down longer before release makes for a
    more powerful punch. And, you can play with the slash/thrust/etc
    enabled if you want.

    So, I wouldn't give up hope yet. If it is a tapfest, we'll all be
    playing MW mods instead of Oblivion.

    On 6 Jul 2005 08:38:02 -0700, "DeAnn" <diwan@mitre.org> wrote:

    >I can't image a decent role playing game that used "twitch control".
    >But I have seen good role playing games that used player interaction as
    >a part of combat (Ultima Underworld comes to mind). As for jumping
    >puzzles, I found getting the magic axe out of the treestump in Seyda
    >Neen more than enough jumping. (and it is entirely optional)

    This is the quote that horrified me -- 'You must actively block with
    your shield, then effectively swing (tap for standard attack, hold for
    power attack, tap plus direction for slash, etc.)"

    This reminded me a lot of other games I've played with the dreaded
    "combo moves". Here is me in that scenario...".let's see what move
    should I make? What's that keycode again?" Meanwhile I have been
    beaten to a bloody pulp and am near death. I get one hit in and the
    creature finishes me off. My problem is I never could type in
    ANYTHING without looking at the keys, lol.

    Now this article was about the xbox version so it might be different
    but I doubt it. I guess it wouldn't be so bad if you could program
    some of the combo's to certain keys but if I have to memorize all
    kinds of tap-tap-leftarrow, tap-tap-tap-right arro kinds of stuff I'm
    really going to hate it.

    alexa

    alexa wrote:
    > On 6 Jul 2005 08:38:02 -0700, "DeAnn" <diwan@mitre.org> wrote:
    >

    >>I can't image a decent role playing game that used "twitch control".
    >>But I have seen good role playing games that used player interaction as
    >>a part of combat (Ultima Underworld comes to mind). As for jumping
    >>puzzles, I found getting the magic axe out of the treestump in Seyda
    >>Neen more than enough jumping. (and it is entirely optional)
    >

    > This is the quote that horrified me -- 'You must actively block with
    > your shield, then effectively swing (tap for standard attack, hold for
    > power attack, tap plus direction for slash, etc.)"

    Isn't this similar to the combat system in Arena and Daggerfall? You
    had to move the mouse in the direction you wanted to attack and tap the
    mouse key to swing. Thus you could move the mouse in a diagonal
    direction to attack to a side from the top, or you could move the mouse
    back and forth to stab.

    > This reminded me a lot of other games I've played with the dreaded
    > "combo moves". Here is me in that scenario...".let's see what move
    > should I make? What's that keycode again?" Meanwhile I have been
    > beaten to a bloody pulp and am near death. I get one hit in and the
    > creature finishes me off. My problem is I never could type in
    > ANYTHING without looking at the keys, lol.
    >
    > Now this article was about the xbox version so it might be different
    > but I doubt it. I guess it wouldn't be so bad if you could program
    > some of the combo's to certain keys but if I have to memorize all
    > kinds of tap-tap-leftarrow, tap-tap-tap-right arro kinds of stuff I'm
    > really going to hate it.
    >
    > alexa

    On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 19:27:05 GMT, "Michael W. Ryder"
    <_mwryder@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

    >alexa wrote:

    >> This is the quote that horrified me -- 'You must actively block with
    >> your shield, then effectively swing (tap for standard attack, hold for
    >> power attack, tap plus direction for slash, etc.)"
    >>

    >Isn't this similar to the combat system in Arena and Daggerfall? You
    >had to move the mouse in the direction you wanted to attack and tap the
    >mouse key to swing. Thus you could move the mouse in a diagonal
    >direction to attack to a side from the top, or you could move the mouse
    >back and forth to stab.

    It doesn't sound like the Daggerfall system to me. For one thing,
    there was no Blocking in Daggerfall at all. Your shield just added to
    your overall armor rating. To attack in Daggerfall, you hold down the
    right mouse key and move the mouse in the direction you want the
    weapon to move. There was no key-tapping involved. This sounds like
    a more complicated version of the Morrowind version of attack to me.
    In Morrowind, if you don't go the "always use best attack" route, you
    have to tap the movement keys to choose the type of attack you want,
    then use the right mouse button to choose when to land the blow.
    Blocking is automatic, if you have a shield equipped.

    This sounds like it is getting into the "how fast can you hit the
    right keys" type of thing that I really dislike in a game. I play
    RPGs for fun, not to test my eye-hand coordination.
    --
    Nyctolops

    Nyctolops wrote:
    > On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 19:27:05 GMT, "Michael W. Ryder"
    > <_mwryder@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
    >

    >>alexa wrote:
    >

    >>>This is the quote that horrified me -- 'You must actively block with
    >>>your shield, then effectively swing (tap for standard attack, hold for
    >>>power attack, tap plus direction for slash, etc.)"
    >>>

    >>Isn't this similar to the combat system in Arena and Daggerfall? You
    >>had to move the mouse in the direction you wanted to attack and tap the
    >>mouse key to swing. Thus you could move the mouse in a diagonal
    >>direction to attack to a side from the top, or you could move the mouse
    >>back and forth to stab.
    >>

    > It doesn't sound like the Daggerfall system to me. For one thing,
    > there was no Blocking in Daggerfall at all. Your shield just added to
    > your overall armor rating. To attack in Daggerfall, you hold down the
    > right mouse key and move the mouse in the direction you want the
    > weapon to move. There was no key-tapping involved. This sounds like
    > a more complicated version of the Morrowind version of attack to me.
    > In Morrowind, if you don't go the "always use best attack" route, you
    > have to tap the movement keys to choose the type of attack you want,
    > then use the right mouse button to choose when to land the blow.
    > Blocking is automatic, if you have a shield equipped.
    >
    > This sounds like it is getting into the "how fast can you hit the
    > right keys" type of thing that I really dislike in a game. I play
    > RPGs for fun, not to test my eye-hand coordination.
    > --
    > Nyctolops

    I was thinking more along the lines of you had to tell the computer how
    you were attacking and when rather than the actual mechanics. Hopefully
    blocking will be a simple key press and you can use the mouse for the
    attacking. Maybe if you are blocking your swing is affected, so you
    have the choice of not blocking a blow to get in a better attack or
    blocking the blow and getting a weaker attack. It would be nice if you
    could also move at the same time to try and dodge attacks and get a
    better angle for your attacks.
    I would like the option of maneuvers such as used in Revenant so you
    could use fancy attacks if you want or just normal hack and slash. The
    only real problem with a lot of the first person shooter type games is
    that your hands can get real sore very quickly, but it would be nice to
    be able to choose how you want to play combat, etc.

    why dont we just wait for the game to come out before we start the
    complaining

    Some of us like to have one hand free for things like eating. :-)

    On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 04:04:31 -0500, "Chris B"
    <chrisbengivengo@comcast.net> wrote:

    >why dont we just wait for the game to come out before we start the
    >complaining

    Not complaining....just curious to see how many others liked the MW
    combat system the way it was. I've read a few articles now where the
    devs seemed to think most people weren't happy with it. Maybe
    that's true, I don't know.

    alexa

    On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 05:17:41 -0500, kendrick@eris.io.com (Kendrick
    Kerwin Chua) wrote:

    >Wasn't Morrowind a PC title through and through, and the Xbox port of it
    >sort of an afterthought? The idea to make it an Xbox game was brilliant,
    >and I don't think that anybody anticipated the popularity of the title
    >just as a console game. I would speculate that the combat system tweaks
    >are a result of this split platform design now, where the developers are
    >making the game accessible to a wider audience who might not know that RPG
    >doesn't always stand for 'rocket propelled grenade.' That it's going to be
    >an Xbox 360 launch title must be both a blessing and a curse.

    I'm sure you're right about the tweaks. I was really surprised when
    Morrowind was such a hit on the xbox. I still don't really understand
    it. But the new system is much more console-ish. I guess they stand
    to make a lot more money on the xbox version than the pc version. I
    read somewhere that the revenues for a console hit are much higher
    than for a top-selling pc game. So it would stand to reason that they
    might consolize it a bit more. Also, the console players can't have
    mods (although I'm not sure if that's true for the 360), so the combat
    needs to be challenging enough for everybody straight out of the box.

    alexa

    "Kendrick Kerwin Chua" <kendrick@eris.io.com> wrote in message

    > I would speculate that the combat system tweaks
    > are a result of this split platform design now, where the developers are
    > making the game accessible to a wider audience who might not know that RPG
    > doesn't always stand for 'rocket propelled grenade.'

    I read an interview with Todd Howard in which he stated that the XBox title
    outsold the PC title and that, yes, some of the planned changes are because
    of that.

    Chris B wrote:
    > why dont we just wait for the game to come out before we start the
    > complaining

    I don't remember complaining at all. I did post some things I would
    like done with the game. Unless the developers hear what works or
    doesn't they will continue to develop to satisfy their desires rather
    than the markets. I have played many games where the developer's
    desires were so opposed to mine that I quickly quit playing the game.
    Hardly the way to create brand loyalty.

    On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 18:53:35 GMT, "Michael W. Ryder"
    <_mwryder@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

    > Unless the developers hear what works or
    >doesn't they will continue to develop to satisfy their desires rather
    >than the markets. I have played many games where the developer's
    >desires were so opposed to mine that I quickly quit playing the game.
    >Hardly the way to create brand loyalty.

    I think this is true. When Battlespire first came out one of the devs
    spent some time on an AOL message board -- they would never do that
    today, I don't think. Anyway, everyone was upset because the game was
    too hard and they hadn't included a difficulty slider or an easy
    setting. He was really surprised by that and thought people wanted
    ultra difficult combat. I think they do read the relevant newsgroups
    from time to time....probably moreso the Bethesday message boards
    though.

    Speaking of complaints, has anyone tried Dungeon Lords. Like an idiot
    I bought it before the reviews came out because the screenshots looked
    slightly Morrowindish. Big mistake. They finally patched it and
    added the missing automap so I'm going to try it again. I'm hoping it
    will be playable now.

    alexa

    Chris B wrote:
    > I love the game. Its the only one on my computer. I purchased a Radion 9800
    > just so it would not lag as much, I bought an extra gig of memory so it
    > would run even smother. 3ghz proccesor, Radion 9800 and 1.5 gigs of memory
    > with the only other real program being photoshop make the game as smoth as
    > glass.
    Besides the border crossing loading delays, no?

    I wish the Oblivion doesn't load anything if it runs on
    a computer that has more RAM than the whole installation
    needs disk-space :-)

    Depends on what im doing, If im in noclip mode blazing across the map then I
    notice the loading but at a steady walk, i normaly walk, I notice a quick

    Some time between the hours of March 10th and Friday, Andreas Koch
    <mail@kochandreas.com> committed the following:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > just noticed the announciation of Oblivion (i'm not
    > too actively watching for new games ;-)), read a bit
    > about it, and want to write a few thoughts to discuss...
    >
    > -More action based combat system with "real blocking"

    My immediate reaction to this is, "Eww, chrome."

    Mind you, on the "Oblivion Wish List" fora that were gurgling around, I was
    aghast at how people seemed to be obsessed with complicating the basic game
    and world models beyond all reason. One person actually suggested that an
    hour should be taken out of each game day to compensate for the time taken
    to go to the bathroom. I'm not joking; that was an actual suggestion!

    What *I* want to see in Oblivion is:
    * *Far* less game world hard-coded into the engine.
    * A significantly advanced scripting language, like a cross between C# and
    Prolog (see above.)
    * A modular approach to the interface, allowing for the user to pick and
    choose how they interact with the world in much the same way as I can pick
    and choose what MW plugins I run. (This last has obvious advantages with
    porting to XStationCube.) This way, I can choose between manual and/or
    skill-based combat, change crosshairs, use dropdown menus instead of clunky
    boxes, whatever.
    * A significantly improved sound engine that actually attentuates sounds,
    and DSP to provide variation in voices (e.g. pitch shifting, wavering...)
    --
    Rev. Cardboard Box, slightly tilted, half melted
    www.livejournal.com/users/revcardboardbox

Oblivion Games Video Games