"IBM and Chartered Sampling 45nm"

9-inch

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
The cooperation between the four companies is yet another sign of quickly rising cost for semiconductor research and development, which forces most chip manufacturers into collaboration efforts to make the economics work. According to a press release distributed by IBM, Chartered, Infineon and Samsung, the joint-development of 45 nm technology may "facilitate [an] earlier transition to the new process" and enable "multi-fab manufacturing capability for maximum design leverage" by using a single design approach. The companies expect their 45 nm process to be installed and fully qualified at Chartered, IBM and Samsung 300 mm fabs by the end of 2007. Mass production is scheduled to begin sometime in 2008.

Well, IBM and AMD are partners on this one. I wouldn't be surprised if AMD offers 45nm chips a few months after intel's since that's what they were saying a while ago. :wink:

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/08/29/45nm_circuitry/

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
I'd be more interested in seeing AMD's 65nm products.

Intel already had 45nm SRAMs introduces earlier in the year. When AMD does intro 65nm CPUs, that would be more compelling.

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
This doesn't mention AMD at all, so I don't know where you got AMD from....

My thoughts exactly:

East Fishkill (NY) - IBM, Chartered, Infineon and Samsung have developed their first 45 nm "silicon-functional circuits" and announced that the technology would be available in "design kits" for "select customers." The four companies follow Intel, which was first to demonstrate a 45 nm SRAM device in January of this year.

and ---

Intel was first to demonstrate a 45 nm device in January of this year. The firm's 45 nm SRAM cell was announced with a capacity of 153 Mbit and more than 1 billion transistors.

I swear I did not see AMD mentioned once in that article.

Parrot

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2005

My thoughts exactly:

East Fishkill (NY) - IBM, Chartered, Infineon and Samsung have developed their first 45 nm "silicon-functional circuits" and announced that the technology would be available in "design kits" for "select customers." The four companies follow Intel, which was first to demonstrate a 45 nm SRAM device in January of this year.

and ---

Intel was first to demonstrate a 45 nm device in January of this year. The firm's 45 nm SRAM cell was announced with a capacity of 153 Mbit and more than 1 billion transistors.

Here is the official press release:HERE
I swear I did not see Intel mentioned once in that press release.
Since IBM, Chartered and AMD are collaborating on 45nm development, this news has ramifications for AMD.

MatTheMurdera

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006

My thoughts exactly:

and ---

Since IBM, Chartered and AMD are collaborating on 45nm development, this news has ramifications for AMD. The thing is, what you quote isnt what 9-Inch quoted (which is the topic of this thread). That, and again I saw no mention of AMD in the article you just posted.

Parrot

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2005

My thoughts exactly:

and ---

Since IBM, Chartered and AMD are collaborating on 45nm development, this news has ramifications for AMD. The thing is what you quote isnt what 9-Inch quoted, that and again i saw no mention of AMD in the article you just posted

Since IBM, Chartered and AMD are collaborating on 45nm development, this news has ramifications for AMD.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002

My thoughts exactly:

and ---

Intel was mentioned from the original link provided.

Also, since this 45nm is "targeted at next-generation communication systems", I don't see how it would have any ramifications for AMD. That's like saying that since IBM is part of the Cell processor development, it will affect AMD as well.

Like MatTheMurdera mentioned, AMD is no where mentioned in the offical press release, either.

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
You're not looking hard enough:

My thoughts exactly:

and ---

Since IBM, Chartered and AMD are collaborating on 45nm development, this news has ramifications for AMD. The thing is what you quote isnt what 9-Inch quoted, that and again i saw no mention of AMD in the article you just posted

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
and ---

Intel was mentioned from the original link provided.

Well, it was a tgdaily article-THEY introduced Intel.

What? They introduced Intel? What the hell does that even mean?

All they did was mention that Intel demo'd a 45nm SRAM earlier in the year. They didn't compare or even say anything more about Intel after that paragraph.

accord99

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2004
That's a different collaboration. This one is for the bulk CMOS low power process for IBM, Samsung, Chartered and Infineon so it'll have no relevance to AMD.

Parrot

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2005

My thoughts exactly:

and ---

Tgdaily take a story about IBM, Chartered, Infineon and Samsung and introduce the Intel name into it! WOW, WHAT A SURPRISE!!!
Is Intel part of the consortium?-NO! So why did tgdaily mention Intel??(Rhetorical) :lol:

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
To put it in perspective, maybe.

IBM and company introduced their 45nm stuff. Intel had demo'd their's some 7 months earlier. Whoopie doo.

What harm is there? So, when AMD does release the 65nm, there should be no mention of Intel's 65nm CPU? Or any other companies 65nm products?

But what's the difference of TGDaily adding Intel's 45nm product, and the O.P. and you including AMD to it?

*edit*
So, because the Inq mentions that the AMD engineers will go have a beer with IBM engineers, that equals what? 45nm transistion for AMD because of this, or a bunch of beer and ASCII jokes between engineers?

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Tgdaily take a story about IBM, Chartered, Infineon and Samsung and introduce the Intel name into it! WOW, WHAT A SURPRISE!!!
Is Intel part of the consortium?-NO! So why did tgdaily mention Intel??(Rhetorical) :lol:

Maybe because Intel demonstrated it first. If the story was about Intel putting IMC on its chips, don't you think they would mention AMD?

Vesh

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006

Yeah its so biased that they mentioned that another company had been working with 45 nm devices. Just because you dont like Intel doesn't mean its not relavent.

Mex

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005

My thoughts exactly:

and ---

Tgdaily take a story about IBM, Chartered, Infineon and Samsung and introduce the Intel name into it!
WOW, WHAT A SURPRISE!!!
Intel had the first working 45nm silicon. Period.
TG Daily was just making a comparison.

===============================

Inquirer take a story about IBM, Chartered, Infineon and Samsung and introduce the AMD name into it!
WOW, WHAT A SURPRISE!!!
Is AMD part of the consortium?-NO! So why did Inquirer mention AMD??(Rhetorical) :lol:
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=34016