Sign in with
Your question

What's the best cpu water block?

Last response: in Overclocking
August 29, 2006 10:09:12 PM

Okay guys now I'm ready to purchase a hard-core liquid cooling kit. I'm done with my entry-level water cooling kit, the cheap low-end kit. This time I would be cooling the cpu only. But I can't seem to finalized on what cpu water block to choose for my socket 775 cpu.

My choices are Swiftech Storm ($85) and Danger Den RBX ($50). I'm getting the MCP655 water pump and CoolingWorks CoolRad-32T Triple 120mm Radiator. I want a silent running otherwise at low setting operation set up. "Silence is golden".

I know the Storm is pricey, and makes me think right away that it is a high-performance cpu water block. One thing concerns me though is the water jet nozzles. It's 35 tiny nozzles and no doubt cause restriction and can be clogged.

The RBX on the other hand is simple and clean. It's about $30 lower than the Storm. Has 3 ports and possibly have better flow rate compare to the Storm. Downside is that I could only fit to socket 775, so it's not as flexible as the Storm which can be compatible to several cpu socket types.

The MCP655 ($90) pump is a very good water pump as I have read several reviews on it. Very quite and produces high pressure output.

The CoolRad ($65) however I don't much about. I don't know if it has very high cooling capacity and high flow rate. I don't know. So guys if you could suggest a triple rad for me that is better than this and considering the price as well, that would be great too.

So now my question is which one is the best for me?

Also with this set up, is it better compare to other complete cooling kit like the Swiftech H20-APEX "ULTRA" ($250) and or Asetek WaterChill CPU Cooling Power Kit ($240).

Is this set up overkill for my cpu? I'm planning to oc the 840 to 3.840Ghz @ 1.3v Vcore.

I'm ordering this coming Monday.

Thanks

:) 

More about : cpu water block

August 29, 2006 10:37:06 PM

Cool. So with the MCP655 pump I should have no problem with the Storm. So does it only works best at high pressure? What if I want to run the pump at low settings? Well, I don't know if the pump is noisy at high settings.

The Silver version is got to be expensive! 8O Too much for me.
Related resources
August 29, 2006 10:43:56 PM

Okay so the MCP655 is silent at high settings. Well then I guess the Storm it is.

How about you? Which one would you buy?
August 29, 2006 10:47:11 PM

You don't have to wrry about the nozzles being clogged in the storm waterblock - as long as you have the proper coolant in your loop that has anti algae properties. You shouldn't have any other possible foreign substances in your coolant that could have this affect.

The performace of the CoolRad-32T as compared to the Black Ice Xtreme III is pretty much identical so you couldn't go wrong either way.

Black Ice XtremeIII Radiator ($57)
http://www.dangerdenstore.com/product.php?productid=4&c...
August 29, 2006 10:52:26 PM

The MCP655 is an absolutely awesome pump. I use it myself. At 317gph it is one of the most powerful 12v pumps made. It has a feature where you can adjust the power settings if you ever needed to. When it is operational you can even put your ear near it and can't tell it is running. In fact, the only way you could is by the water turbulence in the reservoir.

Swiftech MCP655 12v DC Pump ($77)
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/swmc12vdcpu.html
August 29, 2006 10:52:37 PM

Well I guess I can now justify on spending $85 for cpu water block. Man! that thing alone cost almost as much as my first low end water cooling kit. I hope it will do well. I'll post some pics of the final set up. I'm getting it shipped in a hurry to get it this Friday and hopefully post some pics and results at Friday night. Thanks.
August 29, 2006 10:54:36 PM

I'm not using any conventional reservoir. I'm just gonna use a T-splitter and have another 1/2ID tube as the reservoir that way it has less restriction.
August 30, 2006 4:22:10 AM

don't get the 655, it has a lower head pressure which is not what you want if you are buying the storm

buy the ddc+ (18w version) with the alphacool top, it'll run circles around the 655
August 30, 2006 5:46:17 AM

Hey, I've never heard of the Laing DDC+ model but, I'm really interested in it. All I could find was a Laing DDC+1 at the Alphacool site. Does anyone have a link to the product of an etailer site or a manufacturer site?
August 30, 2006 8:47:08 AM

storm
August 30, 2006 6:49:28 PM

Even if the alphacool pump does run at a higher head pressure, the MCP655 is still more than sufficient to run the Storm. I have both the storm and the apogee with the MCP655 and the Storm outperforms by 4C at idle and 6C at load.
August 30, 2006 9:14:47 PM

Okay cool, cuz I have ordered it already. :(  But I'll try it on and see if the MCP655 is good enough for the Storm. If not I could return it and get that DDC+. Anyways if I happened to change my mind and want that DDC+ where would be the best place to order it?

Anyways, I got my set up shipped this Friday hopefully. I got the MCP655 pump, Storm cpu block and CoolingWorks CoolRad 32T triple 120mm radiator. I can't wait to have this setup in my system.

Right now I have remove my low end water cooling already and it's running on BigTyphoon. Yeah, I'm cooling just the cpu this time and hopefully overclocked it to 3.840Ghz at low temps. :D  Very nice but eventhough I'm $300 broke :(  it's okay, I'm just going get some overtime to make it back. :D 

I'll show some pics and performance hopefully by Friday night. Thanks for all your help. :wink:
August 30, 2006 9:39:06 PM

The MCP655 will be plenty strong enough to handle the Storm.

Ok, I've done some mondo research on this Laing pump. Here's the specs of it compared to the MCP655:

MCP355/DDC-12V REV2 "PLUS"/Laing DDC+

Nominal voltage: 12V DC
Nominal power: 18 W
Nominal head: 20.2 ft (6.1 m)
Nominal discharge: 120 GPH (454 LPH)
Connection size: 3/8" barbs (10mm)
Maximum pressure: 22 PSI (1.5 BAR)
Electrical connecto:r Molex 4 pin
Weight: 7.3 oz (207 gr.)
Noise: 30 - 32 dBA

MCP655

Nominal power: 8 - 24 W
Nominal head: 10 ft (3.1 m)
Nominal discharge: 317 GPH (1200 LPH)
Connection size: 1/2" barbs (13mm)
Maximum pressure: 50 PSI (3.5 BAR)
Weight: 1.4 lbs (650 gr.)
Noise: no discernible sound

So there it is. I spoke to an engineer over at Swiftech, Gabe, who I call from time to time about watercooling concerns and he said that the MCP355 (Laing DDC+) was strictly designed for 3/8 tubing and the MCP655 for 1/2. Also, to quote him "The 355 is loud as hell. I couldn't stand to be next to it"
August 31, 2006 1:19:06 AM

Nice. That's what coming this Friday, the MCP655. It will be running on 1/2" ID tubing and my main concern is the quiteness. So I see the MCP655 is quite at highest setting, so I'm sold. Just wasn't sure if it would be good enough to run the Storm water block. Well that said thanks for some good info and to the rest as well.

I have the Thermaltake Kandalf case and all I need to do is drill two 3/4" holes right above the expansion slots for the 1/2"ID 5/8"OD tubings. I would be using 3 FM121 120mm fan fro Silverstone. So I'm pretty positive that this setup will give me a lot of cooling performance. Hopefully at the 25c idle and 30c full load at oc 3.840Ghz @ 1.35Vcore.

I just can't wait for my new setup. :D 
August 31, 2006 1:43:03 AM

the 655 has a huge heat dump of 24watts plus it doesn't have as much head pressure, which means you'll get less flow through your storm.

since you already ordered it, i guess it will suffice,
August 31, 2006 2:00:01 AM

Well, since it is quite at highest settings then I'll just do that. Like I said I have to test it for myself and hopefully I get some good desirable results and if not then I'll look for something else. :) 

So this will be my setup.

1/2"ID tubing.

MCP655 Pump to the Storm Rev.2 cpu block to triple 120mm radiator to reservior (T-split reservoir) to pump. I don't think the pump would need much head to push that system, does it?
August 31, 2006 2:27:32 AM

What about the Swiftech Apogee? I remember reading somewhere that the Storm was better suited to IHS-less die applications, ie taking off your integrated heat spreader. The Apogee was supposedly better for cooling if you had an IHS left on the cpu die, because it cools over a greater area whereas the pressurizing nozzles in the storm are mainly focused over a smaller area that doesn't cover the entire die.

I'll leave it up to the pros to comment on that, just throwing the idea out there for a different kind of block from the same manufacturer.
August 31, 2006 3:25:48 AM

Well using the MCP655 the Storm rev.2 is better than the Apogee. But I guess which way is great since you get for what you pay. I focusing on cooling my Pentium D 840 which by far the hottest cpu. At 3.840Ghz @ 1.35Vcore with the stock cooling it can reach up to 75c, with the BigTyphoon it reach up to 65c, with my low-end water cooling kit it reach up to 50c. So now I want oc the same but at lower temps so I have choosen the Storm rev.2 for the job. I have read some reviews comparing the Apogee and the Storm. The Storm is 3c lower on idle and 5c lower on full load, might not be much but at this oc settings of 3.840Ghz I needed as much cooling I want. Also to consider low-noise high performnace cooling.
August 31, 2006 4:32:13 AM

the apogee is basically a respin of the much out dated mcw5000, impingement cooling is scalable and is used in nuclear reactors
August 31, 2006 12:06:48 PM

Well, I couldn't sold it. Who would buy it? Besides I'm looking to upgrading till next year as soon as Vista and DX10 cards rolls out. For the 840 I have pushed it at 4Ghz at a toasty 1.45vcore and which pretty much it's limits with water cooling. I was using the low-end water cooling and that thing reach up to 45 on idle. I'm not to worried about the 840's performance though since plays all my games really good. Hopefully it would be enough for Crysis, the oc should come in handy by then. It's fast but it's just too hot and heats up my room really well. Anyways I got one more day waiting for that setup. I can't wait. :D 
August 31, 2006 12:25:41 PM

i would also get the Thermochill radiator PA120.3 or PA120.2 if u want the less restrictive rad. They out perform the Black ice and others.
August 31, 2006 12:34:00 PM

Quote:
Trust me, some n00b on eBay will still think it's the top of line processor and buy it! :D  :lol: 

Yeah right, they would buy it but with all the cheaper cpu's right now they would be buying the 900 series instead which it's about the same price and are faster and a bit cooler. I check the prices and found that my 840 is now valued a $200. :evil:  Damn thing cost me like $550 last year! Stupid Core2 cpu. Well, don't mind keeping it until my upgrade next year and then I will sell it for like $100 and if not I'll just overclock it to death. I don't know how to sell stuff on Ebay, with all that scam and identity theft going on I can't decide if I should.
August 31, 2006 12:35:28 PM

Do you have the link to a review? I'm getting the CoolRad 32T triple 120mm radiator. I think it would be enough for my cpu.
August 31, 2006 10:23:22 PM

While the radiator is important, they do not affect cooling to the degree that the water block and pump will in your case. Also, don't worry about the head pressure, you don't even have any other water blocks in your system so with just a cpu block and 3 x 120mm rad you have more than enough. I have the storm with two gpu blocks and a 2 x 120mm rad and it works just great.
August 31, 2006 10:59:48 PM

Alright. :D  I just wanna make sure this would work well. Thanks.
September 2, 2006 2:02:05 PM

Yey! My new watercooling is installed. I got 28c-30c idle and 35c full on BF2 on 3.840Ghz @ 1.35Vcore. This thing is amazing! Thanks to all for help.

It took me about 3 hours to complete it since it took 2 hours to bleed the air out of the loop. It's a pain in the ass to bleed the air with this setup. I used Artic Silver 5 thermal compound for the cpu. I should have purchase a flow indicator but I didn't because it's expensive and could slow down the flow, so now I couldn't tell if there's a flow or not.

Water cooling specs:

MCP655 Pump
Swiftech Storm rev.2 Cpu water block
Coolingworks CoolRad 32T Triple 120mm Radiator
DangerDen Fillport.
1/2"ID tubings
September 2, 2006 2:27:20 PM

Well since I just put a fresh coat of thermalpaste last night. In about 2 weeks or so when it sets I should be getting lower temps hopefully 1c-2c. The only thing I don't like about the setup is the Storms mounting screws that installs in the mobo. It's just a simple nuts and screws so at first when I tightened the cpu block, it spins making it impossible to do so. So I got frustrated and put a bit of super glue on the mounting screws and nuts to keep it from moving. Anyways I'll do that Prime95 today to burn in the thermal paste.
September 2, 2006 3:09:16 PM

Quote:
Right now I have remove my low end water cooling already and it's running on BigTyphoon. Yeah, I'm cooling just the cpu this time and hopefully overclocked it to 3.840Ghz at low temps.

Have you considered putting your old WC rig onto your GPU or is that too much clutter?
September 2, 2006 3:12:34 PM

Yeah, it would be too much clutter and I don't want to kill my PSU. Aspire is not that good you know. I use the Zalman VF900 CU vga cooler instead. It's idles at 50c and 60c full load on silent mode.
September 2, 2006 4:07:17 PM

Nice work. When I get around to a conroe build I intend to get an almost identical setup myself. I'll be cooling GPU as well tho but this gives me a good idea of what I'm soon to enjoy myself. I'm sure you'll be loving that setup for a good while :) 
September 2, 2006 4:16:22 PM

Good deal...it's a labor but the end result was worth it!
September 2, 2006 5:33:49 PM

Quote:
Yey! My new watercooling is installed.

Great job. My younger son wants to know why none of our computers have green snakes in them like yours...
September 2, 2006 5:35:40 PM

lol...priceless
September 2, 2006 9:25:54 PM

Okay run Prime95 for one hour and got 40c average.
September 11, 2006 5:16:14 PM

That does look pretty cool, but I have a concern that spans for all liquid cooled systems: Some of these kits require you to hook up the system radiator outside the case. If you wanted to take it to a lanparty, isn't that going to be a little less durable? I think if I went with liquid cooling, I would try to mount the cooling system into the case.
September 11, 2006 5:23:11 PM

Watercooling is no different from modding standard computer parts - what you have when you buy a kit or read "instructions" are just guidelines. One thing is for certain, not everything is written in stone. If you can find a satisfactory method of installing a rad internally, by all means do so.

I have an Abit AB9 PRO and around the CPU there are 4 sets of voltage regulators. I bought waterblocks specifically designed for two of them but, since 3 & 4 were grouped together, there was no waterblock on the market for what I wanted. Sooo.... I modded an OVV CPLUS CPU waterblock that now functions as a mosfet waterblock.

Sometimes, you just need to be creative.....
September 17, 2006 1:25:03 AM

What is that stand-off holding the radiator off the back of the case?
September 27, 2006 4:24:19 PM

Quote:
The MCP655 will be plenty strong enough to handle the Storm.

Ok, I've done some mondo research on this Laing pump. Here's the specs of it compared to the MCP655:

MCP355/DDC-12V REV2 "PLUS"/Laing DDC+

Nominal power: 18 W
Nominal head: 20.2 ft (6.1 m)
Nominal discharge: 120 GPH (454 LPH)
Connection size: 3/8" barbs (10mm)
Maximum pressure: 22 PSI (1.5 BAR)
Weight: 7.3 oz (207 gr.)
Noise: 30 - 32 dBA

MCP655

Nominal power: 8 - 24 W
Nominal head: 10 ft (3.1 m)
Nominal discharge: 317 GPH (1200 LPH)
Connection size: 1/2" barbs (13mm)
Maximum pressure: 50 PSI (3.5 BAR)
Weight: 1.4 lbs (650 gr.)
Noise: no discernible sound

I am very interested in this... I am going to buy the 655... after looking at it, I see it is a MUCH better system.

Sure the head on the 355 is twice as much... but the PSI on the MCP655 is much higher (100% plus)... the MCP655 is a much better pump, for watercooling... Now if you want to run your pump in the basement, then go with the 355...

Quote:
"]the 655 has a huge heat dump of 24watts plus it doesn't have as much head pressure, which means you'll get less flow through your storm.

since you already ordered it, i guess it will suffice,

The external pumps dump only %20-%25 of the heat into the water...

I would be more concerned of the hit on the Powersupply...
September 27, 2006 4:34:37 PM

They use external radiators for universal applications for all cases... you can always think about it, and modify the system so that it works for your case in particular...

Personally, I am sorry that I bought a case pre-designed with a watercooling system except for one thing... they did an amazing job mounting the radiator to the top of the system... I would have never been able to do that myself, and would have had to spend allot of money on a koolance radiator. In the end I would have spent hours more of work and would have ended up with the same problems Im having today...

The problem I have had, is that I live near frozencpu, and I go and talk to them and ask for advice... and they dont know shit, but they pretend too...

I am not happy with that...

Mike
September 27, 2006 5:26:10 PM

Thus endeth the lesson my young padua...you will be a jedi yet..

It's ok to listen to what other people say but you have to develop your own instincts as to who to trust. All of us have been in your position. Now you are wiser for it....
September 27, 2006 11:36:45 PM

I would NOT recommend watercooling to anyone! Damn is it expensive...

Pre-built systems seem to be the way to go, if you get honest and good reviews for them... but then, the inevitable... I want to add a water block to my VideoCard... I want colder temps... I want faster OCing... I want a small midget to sit near my machine and pump water for me...

I couldnt even imagine getting involved into watercooling if it wasnt for Frozen CPU beign 5 minutes away from my house... Ive spent so much time there, that the owner lets me wander the warehouse looking at parts Im going to try and use... I bring my machine and leave it on their counter... I take the parts Im thinking of and go back to my machine to check clearance and come up with a plan of action.
September 27, 2006 11:54:51 PM

I do so much business with them (and this is all via online). I shudder to think how much I'd spend if I lived near them.
September 27, 2006 11:57:42 PM

I agree water cooling are expensive and only to those enthusiast who are willing to empty thier wallet for it. I'm guilty on that. The pros are very nice but the cons are bad as well. Now that there are many low-noise $50 range cpu cooler there's really no need for water cooling except for asthetics. But it looks cool on my case and got 20% increase on performance. :D 
September 28, 2006 12:52:43 AM

I spent $400 on a coolermaster stacker with a built in 180mm Radiator and fans... waterblock and pump/resivor combo... It seems to perform as good as the best Aircoolers on the market.

I added a 130 heatsink for my VGA card

$40 flowmeter (too restrictive for future use)

and

around $60 for a temp controller and reader.

Mike
September 28, 2006 12:42:03 PM

as far as the performance... Its got to be better then air, especially if you use LARGE radiators.

Anyone could build a system real cheap, expecially if they use parts from cars, etc... Personally I want the system to look well AND perform allot better then Air coolers.

I personally would LOVE to get into a peltier system, and I may still... I could install another powersupply, then use my current waterpump and resivor on my videocard, while adding a small radiator to the back... Its something I may do for a XMAS present.

I was going to sell my old machine for $300. Im thinking of buying a mediacenter case and using my old processor to power this... Hook it up to a Gigabyte eithernet connection, and I would be able to connect my current machine to it, for storage purposes.

But thats another discussion.
Mike
September 28, 2006 12:47:40 PM

This is the PSU you would use for a peltier system. Just be mindful that it is a 320watt/12v PSU (works with Swiftech Peltier waterblocks) You would need to make a drivebay tray to hold it though.

Meanwell 320w Industrial PSU Model #S320-12 ($90)
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/samam32inpsu.html
!