govtofficial

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
I am getting temps of 38-39c and around 45c while playing UT2K4...

Now, i've heard of people here getting 25c idle or less??!!? wtf??

I'm using arctic silver 5 and a zalman 9500, and i've removed, cleaned (with arctic silver cleaner no less), and replaced the AS5 and HSF 4 times now, and i can't get my temps lower. ?!?!!?

*sigh* is there any special thing i'm missing here? The problem i keep running into is dropping the HSF evenly onto the CPU, it's difficult placing it exactly correct when i seat it the first time.

Is there any magical thing i'm missing here? How come I can't get my temps lower?

(btw i'm using an intel 975xbx board)

should i keep trying to remount this damn thing or is 39c idle/45c load good enough? *i do not plan on OCing*

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Not everone uses the 9500 Zalman.

Room temps would be a main factor on air cooling.

Also air flow through the case is another.

I'd say your temps are just fine. I'd say if you reinstall it, you might get a better seal, but chances are your prolly going to get the same temps.

Edit:

Not all MB use the same method to determine temps as well. So all temps being shown are not going to be exactly what they stated.

lcandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Yup, I'm getting idle temps of around 25C with stock HSF. One CPU to max gives around 35C, two CPU's I nearly get to 50C.

Edit: Hi to Grimmy, you still rock :p

towely

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
It depends on a lot of factors. Most of all, case design/airflow and your room's ambient temperature.

You can't have a CPU that's cooler than your room on air.

floge03

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
Mine is constantly around 50degrees celcius... should i be worried (I noticed that the stock cooler for my E6600 had a 2cm scratch on it when I installed my arctic silver 5 paste.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Icandy.. heh.. hello.

floge03, I'd say that the 775 socket HSF installation is trouble some for some people.

I think its possible that 1 of the 4 pins isn't secure. Should be able to get at down to at least 44C, at the most in the 30s from what I've read here.

But from what I read on the instructions, I kinda wonder how many folks forget to check the clips on the back of the MB, or if they endup installing the HSF when the MB is in the PC case, which they can't tell, then push on it till it pops. :?

illinikevin

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
You really need to install the HSF while the board is outside the case. Not only can you see if all 4 pins protrude through the board but you can also inspect that the HSF is flush on the cpu. Sometimes this can be hard if you have a large aftermarket HSF (blocks screw holes and connectors) but it's the best way I've found to do it.

UnWorldly

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
I think alot of people neglect to do it that way because alot of the manuals say to do it after the mobo is already in the case.