File System Unknown

Hi,

I have this strange problem where Win2k can not see a
partition on a 200GB disk that was previously used in
Win2003.

The sequence of things is like that:

1. I had Win2003 running on my system (2 HDD, bootable is
40GB, 2-nd 200GB), run into some problems and decided to
install win2k. Before doing that, I saved all my
important files on the 2-nd disk (200GB).

2. Booted with win2k CD-ROM, while loading the files from
the CD into RAM, I got 2 identical messages on the
installation screen saying: "Disk I/O Error status
00000200". They did not affect the installation. When in
the partition selection screen, the partition on the
200GB screen was displayed as "Damaged" (although I
checked it at that point by exiting the install and going
back to win 2003; it was not damaged).

3. Restarted the install and continued it past the
partition selection point by formating the C:\ partition
on my bootable disk to NTFS, but leaving the other
partitions, including the one on the 200GB Disk
untouched. Once in win2k, I can't see files on the 200GB
Disk, although it was formated exactly the same as the 2
partitions I have on the bootable disk.

In explorer the partition on the 200GB disk shows
as "File System : Unknown" with a size of 0.

In Disk Manager the disk shows healthy unformated and
with a size of only 128GB.

Needless to say, the 200GB disk is set as a slave on the
same channel as the bootable disk.

Please help!
Thanks

Apply Service Pack 4 to W2K.

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 03:42:13 -0700, "George Huszar"

>Hi,
>
>I have this strange problem where Win2k can not see a
>partition on a 200GB disk that was previously used in
>Win2003.
>
>The sequence of things is like that:
>
>1. I had Win2003 running on my system (2 HDD, bootable is
>40GB, 2-nd 200GB), run into some problems and decided to
>install win2k. Before doing that, I saved all my
>important files on the 2-nd disk (200GB).
>
>2. Booted with win2k CD-ROM, while loading the files from
>the CD into RAM, I got 2 identical messages on the
>installation screen saying: "Disk I/O Error status
>00000200". They did not affect the installation. When in
>the partition selection screen, the partition on the
>200GB screen was displayed as "Damaged" (although I
>checked it at that point by exiting the install and going
>back to win 2003; it was not damaged).
>
>3. Restarted the install and continued it past the
>partition selection point by formating the C:\ partition
>on my bootable disk to NTFS, but leaving the other
>partitions, including the one on the 200GB Disk
>untouched. Once in win2k, I can't see files on the 200GB
>Disk, although it was formated exactly the same as the 2
>partitions I have on the bootable disk.
>
>In explorer the partition on the 200GB disk shows
>as "File System : Unknown" with a size of 0.
>
>In Disk Manager the disk shows healthy unformated and
>with a size of only 128GB.
>
>Needless to say, the 200GB disk is set as a slave on the
>same channel as the bootable disk.
>
>Please help!
>Thanks

Jerold Schulman
Windows: General MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com

joeP

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

D I Y D a t a R e c o v e r y . N L - Data & Disaster Recovery Tools

http://www.diydatarecovery.nl
http://www.diydatarecovery.com

Please include previous correspondence!

DiskPatch - MBR, Partition, boot sector repair and recovery.
iRecover - FAT, FAT32 and NTFS data recovery.
MBRtool - Freeware MBR backup and restore.
CHK-Mate - automated CHK file analysis & recovery