Sign in with
Your question

I am in need of help got no answers so far.... xfx7800 gt

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 29, 2006 11:10:32 PM

the problem was solved thanks everyone, goto page 2 for more.

I am currently haveing big problems on all games. All games freeze anywhere from 5 minutes to 2 hours of playtime they freeze i have tried drivers from 78.01 to 91.47. I dont know what to do

Computer specs:

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: NVIDIA
System Model: AWRDACPI
BIOS: )Phoenix - Award WorkstationBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
Memory: 2046MB RAM
Page File: 307MB used, 3630MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 7800 GT
Display Memory: 256.0 MB
Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.9137 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 7/26/2006 14:00:00, 4494720 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: No

More about : answers xfx7800

August 29, 2006 11:30:08 PM

would be best if you gave us some back ground info like when did this start happending ? Is this a new rig etc. you know some sort of base line so we can figure out what has changed or what needs to be changed. Maybe even is your room were your PC is a bit hoter than normal etc.
August 29, 2006 11:33:31 PM

im pretty sure has nothing to do with temps, this has been happening for about 2 months now i built the rig 8 months ago and its pretty good so i dont know whats happening to it
Related resources
August 29, 2006 11:45:04 PM

can u give me a link of memtest cause i cant get the right one tellin me linux only and i ran spyware and adware scanners found some stuff but nothing that stopped my games

and i dont know why my pagefile is so high?
August 29, 2006 11:56:51 PM

i ran memtest and got 1 error i ran that ram optimzier now i am going to test games idk gonna reboot
August 29, 2006 11:59:07 PM

i read on some other forum ur supposed to multiply ur ram by 1.5 and thats ur paging file so how is mine high when i got 2046 ram
August 30, 2006 12:14:43 AM

ok heres whats happening i got a total of 6 errors when i ran memtest when i ran it said "your version of windows limits the amount of contiguous ram a single program can allocate. you will need to run two copies of memtest, and tell each to test 871 mb of ram"

i did what it said and each one got 6 errors
August 30, 2006 12:37:12 AM

What mobo do u have? I had a prob of bsod with my 7900 gt... found it to be the NF4 mobo drivers. When a new set came out every thing worked. You might also check your irq's to see if mabe every thing isnt all on one irq which will slow you down or cause crashes much like i had my soundcard, vid card, nic card and 2 other things i cant remeber on the same one.
August 30, 2006 12:45:14 AM

yea its overclocked do u think it is to much? because its by 500mhz ? i did it thru the bios
August 30, 2006 1:05:02 AM

Actually, Memtest is telling you that your OC is NOT stable. What kind of RAM are you using and what are you running it at? I found out that a couple sticks of Corsair RAM died on me after having them OCed for a couple months.

Memtest should always work; when it doesn't, it's telling you that your settings are wrong or your RAM is bad.

EDIT: And oh, Windows will NEVER use more than 300Mb of your page file. Set the Min and Max to 300Mb because you're just wasting space. (I believe wusy told me this). When you look at TaskManager, it will tell you what's allocated. If you download Cacheman, it will tell you that you're only using a few megabytes out of the hundreds of megabytes allocated...
August 30, 2006 1:17:20 AM

my ram is overclocked from factory
August 30, 2006 1:17:35 AM

Quote:
EDIT: And oh, Windows will NEVER use more than 300Mb of your page file.

That's funny. I just checked my PF usage; it's at 476MB right now. I can't even remember what I set the max to, nor can I remember where to go to change it.
August 30, 2006 3:35:18 AM

ok nothing is working game still froze on me
August 30, 2006 4:22:34 AM

Here's the link to the topic where wusy and I discussed matters of page file usage: http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?nam...

NOTE: I mentioned in my previous post that out of so much space allocated, you are really using very little of it.

EDIT: You go to "Properties", "Advanced", and then under "Performance", you go to "Settings", then to the "Advanced" tab where you change your PF.
August 30, 2006 4:28:47 AM

Clarification please:

Did you individually test each RAM module at their rated speeds?
Please set your PC back to its stock settings.

Thanks.
August 30, 2006 4:33:03 AM

I realized that. However, I still posted with somewhat relative information, as angry ducky responded to my other PF post and other forum members talked about it earlier.

However, getting back to the subject, I posted again in regards to his issue.
August 30, 2006 8:59:13 AM

problem solved.... lol switched the ram around and cleaned out the inside of the computer a little wasnt to dusty since its still fairly new but switching the ram gave me 0 errors in memtest and no game has frozen for 5 or so hours of testing lol
August 30, 2006 10:23:51 AM

I realise that it seems to be fixed, but have you checked your GPU/CPU temps whilst gaming. I realise that there would normally be some other symptoms, throttling from the CPU and artifacts from the GPU, but it might be worth checking as well. Rivatuner should be able to do that for you.
August 31, 2006 1:58:55 PM

how can i use rivatuner to monitor this? and i dont belive i get any artifacts and games have yet to restart or freeze on me.
August 31, 2006 2:16:40 PM

Quote:
how can i use rivatuner to monitor this? and i dont belive i get any artifacts and games have yet to restart or freeze on me.

I meant it can check for temps, sorry for the confusion. But it can log in background whilst playing as the temps respond very very quickly to removing the load.
August 31, 2006 2:28:08 PM

Totally sounds like your overclock is not running stable.Maybe even might have damaged the memory.reset everything to stock specs and try that for a few days and run mem test.if the problem persists,then get new memory.however i believe that the memory is just not able to handle that much oc.it happens.i have some difficulty getting more than 200mhz.oc out of my cpu because of the ram i use.i plan on buying some corsair or high end kingston soon.but ya, set everything back to default and try that.goodluck.

Dahak

EVGA VF4 SLI MB
X2 4400+@2.4
2 7800GT'S IN SLI MODE
2X1GIG DDR400 MEMORY IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
520WATT PSU
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR
3DMARK05:11,582
August 31, 2006 2:38:22 PM

Quote:
EDIT: And oh, Windows will NEVER use more than 300Mb of your page file.

I think there may be some confusion going on here. WINDOWS will never use more than 300MB of a pagefile seems valid enough, but that doesn't mean that another program, or several other programs won't, even with large amounts of real RAM.

-mcg
August 31, 2006 3:04:14 PM

download a program called CPUz. get it here.

run this and post a screen shot of the tabs
CPU, memory and the SPD tab with the selected bank of ram showing.

this will show the timing for the module ur running.

sounds to me like the ram is being pushed too far underpressure.

post these and that will give an idea of what freq ur rams running and its its 1/1 with the FSB.
August 31, 2006 3:05:36 PM

Hi Al,
We will try to solve your problem best we can! First of all you PC's spec's are quite impressive...As a computer tech I will say XFX makes some of the best Nvidia cards around, and I recommend them always to my customers. So, here is the first step to the solution.
I have come to kno that this card & most Nividia cards depend on your monitors specs & refresh rates. First try to make sure you have the monitor in question, identified not as a plug in play monitor! If it is for example a Acer or Gateway, please make sure that it states it!
Next, make sure that the resolution that you are in, such as for example, 1280x1024, make sure you set your refresh rate for 75-85Hz., if your monitor can handle it. The higher the refresh rate, the less tearing you will encounter. Plus the better video quality of the game you are playing. Also make sure that the game you are playing can handle Anistropic Filtering and or Full AA. This will also freeze the game if it is not responding to drivers properly. Most of the time this will happen because the driver is sending commands to the card & it will not respond and try to reset itself...this sometimes creates the freeze.
So in closing I hope this will solve your problem... :wink:
If for any chance this does not, you can always remove the driver set for the card, and go back to Nvidia's site and try some of their beta drivers they have available! This has been known to help for some of the games out there for use with these cards! :wink:
Hope to here from you soon!
Theo
August 31, 2006 3:08:02 PM

Hi again,
I forgot to tell you, that also make sure that the drivers you download are always WHQL certified!!! :wink:
Theo
August 31, 2006 3:17:36 PM

thanks a bunch for all the replys everyone but as posted the problem has stopped and memtest reported 0 errors after several tests. I removed the ram cleaned out the inside of my pc a bit and switched the 2 ram sticks. thanks everyone. And my temperature records are good i belive give me a minute to upload results on my tests on temperature while running F.E.A.R i can run this max settings lol
August 31, 2006 3:26:26 PM

cache

cpu

mainboard

memory

August 31, 2006 5:21:22 PM

ok here are results while running running cellfactor very intense game i can measly rack out 25 fps

82.00 - 85.00 while running the game for 30 minutes the temp stays at 82-85 thats what rivatuner said as i was monitoring it. and idle its at 55-57 is that good ?
August 31, 2006 5:40:23 PM

Sounds ok to me, if it were on the other side of 90-95 I'd have been getting worried and it could have been telling you about a temp problem, and you may just have a lower ambient.

Glad you got yourself sorted.
!