Delayed Write Failed

Hello,

When files are saved from win2k sp4 pro workstation to
win2k sp4 server I occasionally get this error. "Delayed
Write Failed".

Event Log "event" 50, "Source" MRxSmb, and "Data" c000020c
leads me to the following microsoft article
kb831373, "Delayed Write Failed" error message when you
copy a large file to Windows NT Server 4.0.

Problem is that the article only deals with NT 4.0 Server.
I would appreciate any input on this error condition with
win2k.
5 answers Last reply
More about delayed write failed

    Craig Y. wrote:
    > *Hello,
    >
    > When files are saved from win2k sp4 pro workstation to
    > win2k sp4 server I occasionally get this error. "Delayed
    > Write Failed".
    >
    > Event Log "event" 50, "Source" MRxSmb, and "Data" c000020c
    > leads me to the following microsoft article
    > kb831373, "Delayed Write Failed" error message when you
    > copy a large file to Windows NT Server 4.0.
    >
    > Problem is that the article only deals with NT 4.0 Server.
    > I would appreciate any input on this error condition with
    > win2k. *

    Hi

    Have you found a solution for this problem?
    I'm having the same thing in a WinXP VMWARE session.

    Visual studio .NET tries to save .projdata files in my working folder
    that is on a network.

    Kristof

    --
    KristofV

    I have found that "Delayed Write Failed" errors (eventlog event ID 50),
    with a source of MRxSmb (which means the failure came when trying to
    write to a network share) can be be caused when the network adaptors in
    question (on both the client and the server) have been configured to
    autonegotiate the speed/duplex settings of the link. Changing the
    network adaptor's properties so that the speed/duplex is 100mbps/full
    duplex (for example, pick values that make sense for your network) may
    help to elminate this problem.

    In my case, I was doing a backup from an XP client (sp2), to a share on
    an Windows 2003, sp1, server. The backup would consistently fail with
    a "delayed write failure" on the client. Changing the adaptors out of
    autonegotiate mode eliminated the problem. More info at
    http://tuketu.com/technology/windows/Windows%20Delayed%20Write.mht

    KristofV wrote:
    > Craig Y. wrote:
    > > *Hello,
    > >
    > > When files are saved from win2k sp4 pro workstation to
    > > win2k sp4 server I occasionally get this error. "Delayed
    > > Write Failed".
    > >
    > > Event Log "event" 50, "Source" MRxSmb, and "Data" c000020c
    > > leads me to the following microsoft article
    > > kb831373, "Delayed Write Failed" error message when you
    > > copy a large file to Windows NT Server 4.0.
    > >
    > > Problem is that the article only deals with NT 4.0 Server.
    > > I would appreciate any input on this error condition with
    > > win2k. *
    >
    > Hi
    >
    > Have you found a solution for this problem?
    > I'm having the same thing in a WinXP VMWARE session.
    >
    > Visual studio .NET tries to save .projdata files in my working folder
    > that is on a network.
    >

    > Kristof
    >

    > --
    > KristofV
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    --
    dekemoose
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Have you resolved this issue yet? I have a clinet running SBS 2K3 with mixed
    2KPro and XP sp2 clinets, all of the running current patch levels including
    the server. When working with flat file database files this error rears it's
    ugly head.

    "unknown" wrote:

  5. I have seen this error on some of our network's clients and think it is mostly due to the NIC. Changing auto-negotiate as mentioned above does seem to do something, but in the end only produces different errors (e.g. trouble reading in a full file, instead of writing to one).

    The simplest thing for us to do, in any event, was to stop using the onboard NICs on the affected machines and install new adapters, which appears to have solved the DWF issue on large files.

File System Microsoft Servers Windows