NTFS permissions mysteriously changing

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
July 22, 2004 9:38:14 AM

We are experiencing a strange occurance on our network.

In order for users running Windows 2000 to be able to view
documents (PDF +PPT) off our intranet, we have to change
the security settings on the "Temporary Internet Files"
folder for the Users group from "read" to "modify". Once
that is done, the users can view the files.

However, within a day or two, the permissions for the
Users group have switched back from "modify" to "read".

This is happening on a couple of dozen PCs. All of them
running Windows 2000.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 1:57:37 PM

Tim Oliwiak wrote:
> We are experiencing a strange occurance on our network.
>
> In order for users running Windows 2000 to be able to view
> documents (PDF +PPT) off our intranet, we have to change
> the security settings on the "Temporary Internet Files"
> folder for the Users group from "read" to "modify". Once
> that is done, the users can view the files.

Hmmm - as far as I know users have modify permissions to their temporary
internet files folder by default. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to even
create them. Had you changed this in a policy?

> However, within a day or two, the permissions for the
> Users group have switched back from "modify" to "read".
>
> This is happening on a couple of dozen PCs. All of them
> running Windows 2000.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 1:57:38 PM

>Hmmm - as far as I know users have modify permissions to
their temporary
>internet files folder by default. Otherwise they wouldn't
be able to even
>create them. Had you changed this in a policy?

Unfortunately I can't find the KB articles to back this
up, but I seem to recall that there was a version of IE
that only gave Users the read permission on the Temporary
Internet Files folder because it was located in the WINNT
folder (I know, doesn't make sense to me either). I could
be way off though, because it was a long time ago.

Our network administrator is away this week, but I looked
through the domain group policy and I couldn't find
anything significant.
July 22, 2004 3:04:32 PM

>> Hmmm - as far as I know users have modify permissions to their
>> temporary internet files folder by default. Otherwise they wouldn't
>> be able to even create them. Had you changed this in a policy?
>
> Unfortunately I can't find the KB articles to back this
> up, but I seem to recall that there was a version of IE
> that only gave Users the read permission on the Temporary
> Internet Files folder because it was located in the WINNT
> folder (I know, doesn't make sense to me either). I could
> be way off though, because it was a long time ago.

Temporary Internet files aren't in C:\winnt - they're in the user's profile
folders by default.

> Our network administrator is away this week, but I looked
> through the domain group policy and I couldn't find
> anything significant.
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 3:04:33 PM

>Temporary Internet files aren't in C:\winnt - they're in
the user's profile
>folders by default.

On our XP machines, it is in the users profile. However,
on our W2K machines, the folder is in WINNT.
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 3:04:33 PM

Try logging in as the user(s) in question, browse to
their roaming profile on the server and take full
ownership and reset permissions on all child objects in
their profile.

Another thing, are all machines completey up to date?
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 3:04:34 PM

We are not using roaming profiles. They are local.

Up to date? Well, they all have SP4, they may or may not
be up to date with post-SP fixes, i haven't looked into
that yet.
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 3:56:46 PM

Tim Oliwiak wrote:
>> Temporary Internet files aren't in C:\winnt - they're in the user's
>> profile folders by default.
>
> On our XP machines, it is in the users profile. However,
> on our W2K machines, the folder is in WINNT.

Hmmm. Were these upgraded?
You can move it, you know - per user. Control panel, internet options,
temporary internet files, settings.
!