Copying a folder to CD

I have been trying to copy and paste a folder to CD.
The folder is under C:\Documents & Settings, and
every way that I've tried so far, it tells me that
it's in use. I tried doing it in Safe Mode with the
same results. Can you suggest a work-around? Thanks.
--
William B. Lurie
14 answers Last reply

    Hi William,

    Basically, you can't as that folder will always be "in use" whenever the
    system is running. You can copy elements within the folder that are not
    currently in use, but not the entire folder.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
    >I have been trying to copy and paste a folder to CD.
    > The folder is under C:\Documents & Settings, and
    > every way that I've tried so far, it tells me that
    > it's in use. I tried doing it in Safe Mode with the
    > same results. Can you suggest a work-around? Thanks.
    > --
    > William B. Lurie

    Hi,

    I have copied several folders to cd, I create a short cut on the desk top
    and then send it to my cd writer works every time for me.
    > Hi William,
    >
    > Basically, you can't as that folder will always be "in use" whenever the
    > system is running. You can copy elements within the folder that are not
    > currently in use, but not the entire folder.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
    >>I have been trying to copy and paste a folder to CD.
    >> The folder is under C:\Documents & Settings, and
    >> every way that I've tried so far, it tells me that
    >> it's in use. I tried doing it in Safe Mode with the
    >> same results. Can you suggest a work-around? Thanks.
    >> --
    >> William B. Lurie

    Min, I think Rick's answer is unequivocal. You and I have both
    copied folders....but he says NOT from the place I need to!!

    W B L

    --
    William B. Lurie

    If you're creating a shortcut on the desktop, then burring that shortcut to
    a CD, all you've got on the CD is the shortcut, not the files that the
    shortcut points to.

    You might want to check on that. Or maybe you just said it wrong, and
    instead of creating a shortcut, you're actually copying the files.

    "MiniMe" <minime@your'llneverno.org> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have copied several folders to cd, I create a short cut on the desk top
    > and then send it to my cd writer works every time for me.
    >> Hi William,
    >>
    >> Basically, you can't as that folder will always be "in use" whenever the
    >> system is running. You can copy elements within the folder that are not
    >> currently in use, but not the entire folder.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
    >>>I have been trying to copy and paste a folder to CD.
    >>> The folder is under C:\Documents & Settings, and
    >>> every way that I've tried so far, it tells me that
    >>> it's in use. I tried doing it in Safe Mode with the
    >>> same results. Can you suggest a work-around? Thanks.
    >>> --
    >>> William B. Lurie

    You con copy the files WITHIN the documents & setting folder, but not the
    folder itself, according to what Rick said. I don't know -- I don't copy
    folder the way you say you're doing it. But the inability to copy the folder
    shouldn't be that much of a hardship anyway, since what you want are the
    contents anyway..

    > Min, I think Rick's answer is unequivocal. You and I have both
    > copied folders....but he says NOT from the place I need to!!
    >
    > W B L
    >
    > MiniMe wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have copied several folders to cd, I create a short cut on the desk top
    >> and then send it to my cd writer works every time for me.
    >> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Hi William,
    >>>
    >>>Basically, you can't as that folder will always be "in use" whenever the
    >>>system is running. You can copy elements within the folder that are not
    >>>currently in use, but not the entire folder.
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>Best of Luck,
    >>>
    >>>Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
    >>>http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >>>Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    >>>www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    >>>Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>>
    >>>"William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message

    > --
    > William B. Lurie

    Rick made it clear. I can't pick and choose from the
    contents. And the folder is "in use" so I can't
    copy it anywhere. I have to find some kind of workaround.
    Thanks for trying, folks.

    D.Currie wrote:
    > You con copy the files WITHIN the documents & setting folder, but not the
    > folder itself, according to what Rick said. I don't know -- I don't copy
    > folder the way you say you're doing it. But the inability to copy the folder
    > shouldn't be that much of a hardship anyway, since what you want are the
    > contents anyway..
    >
    > "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
    >
    >>Min, I think Rick's answer is unequivocal. You and I have both
    >>copied folders....but he says NOT from the place I need to!!
    >>
    >>W B L
    >>
    >>MiniMe wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>I have copied several folders to cd, I create a short cut on the desk top
    >>>and then send it to my cd writer works every time for me.
    >>>"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message

    He said that you can't copy the folder, but you can copy the elements
    (contents) of the folder that aren't in use.

    > Rick made it clear. I can't pick and choose from the
    > contents. And the folder is "in use" so I can't
    > copy it anywhere. I have to find some kind of workaround.
    > Thanks for trying, folks.
    >
    > D.Currie wrote:
    >> You con copy the files WITHIN the documents & setting folder, but not the
    >> folder itself, according to what Rick said. I don't know -- I don't copy
    >> folder the way you say you're doing it. But the inability to copy the
    >> folder shouldn't be that much of a hardship anyway, since what you want
    >> are the contents anyway..
    >>
    >> "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Min, I think Rick's answer is unequivocal. You and I have both
    >>>copied folders....but he says NOT from the place I need to!!
    >>>
    >>>W B L

    If this is the mail folder you're talking about, there are backup programs
    for it. http://www.insideoutlookexpress.com/

    And it can be moved:
    In OE, Tools->Settings, Maintenance(? last tab anyway), and folder
    button.....

    --
    Tumppi
    Reply to group

    "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> kirjoitti viestissä

    Thomas Wendell wrote:

    > If this is the mail folder you're talking about, there are backup programs
    > for it. http://www.insideoutlookexpress.com/
    >
    > And it can be moved:
    > In OE, Tools->Settings, Maintenance(? last tab anyway), and folder
    > button.....

    No, Thomas.... Outlook Express is not involved in any way.
    I don't even have it on my machine. This is the Mozilla mail system.

    --
    William B. Lurie

    Hi William,

    Since that folder houses the user profiles, the parts that are "in use" for
    the current logon cannot be copied. Since at least one of the user profiles
    must be in use whenever the system is running, you can never get around this
    in the manner in which you are copying. You can't copy the folder "as a
    whole" because of this, but you *can* and should be able to copy individual
    data files within the user profiles, such as files housed in the "my
    documents" folder.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
    > Rick made it clear. I can't pick and choose from the
    > contents. And the folder is "in use" so I can't
    > copy it anywhere. I have to find some kind of workaround.
    > Thanks for trying, folks.
    >
    > D.Currie wrote:
    >> You con copy the files WITHIN the documents & setting folder, but not the
    >> folder itself, according to what Rick said. I don't know -- I don't copy
    >> folder the way you say you're doing it. But the inability to copy the
    >> folder shouldn't be that much of a hardship anyway, since what you want
    >> are the contents anyway..
    >>
    >> "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Min, I think Rick's answer is unequivocal. You and I have both
    >>>copied folders....but he says NOT from the place I need to!!
    >>>
    >>>W B L

    And Rick led me to the useful workaround: I reboot
    to the OS on my Slave drive.....while there, the OS and
    therefore the Doc&Settings on my Master Drive are not
    in use. So I am able to Copy the entire folder out of
    Doc&Settings onto a CD. Now I have the full mail backup
    on CD. I did it. It works. Thank you again, Rick.

    --
    William B. Lurie

    Or, if you're only after one user's profile, you could log into a different
    user, which might be a more useful solution for more people. Just about
    everyone has a extra profile, or could easily create one, but not everyone
    has an extra bootable OS.

    Glad you got it worked out.

    > And Rick led me to the useful workaround: I reboot
    > to the OS on my Slave drive.....while there, the OS and
    > therefore the Doc&Settings on my Master Drive are not
    > in use. So I am able to Copy the entire folder out of
    > Doc&Settings onto a CD. Now I have the full mail backup
    > on CD. I did it. It works. Thank you again, Rick.
    >

    >> Rick made it clear. I can't pick and choose from the
    >> contents. And the folder is "in use" so I can't
    >> copy it anywhere. I have to find some kind of workaround.
    >> Thanks for trying, folks.
    >>
    >> D.Currie wrote:
    >>
    >>> You con copy the files WITHIN the documents & setting folder, but not
    >>> the folder itself, according to what Rick said. I don't know -- I don't
    >>> copy folder the way you say you're doing it. But the inability to copy
    >>> the folder shouldn't be that much of a hardship anyway, since what you
    >>> want are the contents anyway..
    >>>
    >>> "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message

    > --
    > William B. Lurie

    OK. Found this on fist page while seareching Google with "mozilla mal
    backup" (no quotes) as search
    http://backup.jasnapaka.com/

    --

    Thomas Wendell wrote:
    > OK. Found this on fist page while seareching Google with "mozilla mal
    > backup" (no quotes) as search
    > http://backup.jasnapaka.com/

    Thank you.....I shall check it out.

    --