wordpad error - cannot load word for windows 6.0 files

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

do i need to have msword installed in order for wordpad to read word 6.0
files ? i thought wordpad could do that anyways ?

--
Woodzy

http://www.rtdos.com (alt OS for games based on the classics)
http://m.webring.com/hub?ring=masonicgrandlodg ( masonic grand lodges )

Cs

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 12:09:27 -0600, *ProteanThread* <rtdos@rtdos.com>
wrote:

>do i need to have msword installed in order for wordpad to read word 6.0
>files ? i thought wordpad could do that anyways ?

You do not need Word installed in order for WordPad to be able to read
Word 6.0 files.

CS wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 12:09:27 -0600, *ProteanThread* <rtdos@rtdos.com>
> wrote:
>

>>do i need to have msword installed in order for wordpad to read word 6.0
>>files ? i thought wordpad could do that anyways ?
>

> You do not need Word installed in order for WordPad to be able to read
> Word 6.0 files.

but why would i be getting this error ?

--

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 12:23:42 -0600, *ProteanThread* <rtdos@rtdos.com>
wrote:

>CS wrote:
>> On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 12:09:27 -0600, *ProteanThread* <rtdos@rtdos.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>do i need to have msword installed in order for wordpad to read word 6.0
>>>files ? i thought wordpad could do that anyways ?
>>

>> You do not need Word installed in order for WordPad to be able to read
>> Word 6.0 files.
>

>but why would i be getting this error ?

Make sure WordPad is the default for opening *.DOC and *.RTF. Open
My Computer, Tools, Folder Options, File Types. Scroll on down to
*.DOC and *.RTF in turn. Make sure WordPad is shown in the
application to open option. If it isn't, change it to WordPad.

JimY

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2004

"CS" wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 12:23:42 -0600, *ProteanThread* <rtdos@rtdos.com>
> wrote:
>
> >CS wrote:

> >> You do not need Word installed in order for WordPad to be able to read
> >> Word 6.0 files.
> >

> >but why would i be getting this error ?
>
> Make sure WordPad is the default for opening *.DOC and *.RTF. Open
> My Computer, Tools, Folder Options, File Types. Scroll on down to
> *.DOC and *.RTF in turn. Make sure WordPad is shown in the
> application to open option. If it isn't, change it to WordPad.
> I had the same problem after installing SP2, the only way I could open word 6.0 files was with MS Works, Word Processor and then file them with Rich Text Word.

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I remember MS Office site used to have a Word Reader free download... might
try your luck there.
Michael

"*ProteanThread*" <rtdos@rtdos.com> wrote in message
> CS wrote:
>> On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 12:09:27 -0600, *ProteanThread* <rtdos@rtdos.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>do i need to have msword installed in order for wordpad to read word
>>>6.0 files ? i thought wordpad could do that anyways ?
>>

>> You do not need Word installed in order for WordPad to be able to
>> read
>> Word 6.0 files.
>

> but why would i be getting this error ?
>

> --
> Woodzy
>
> http://www.rtdos.com (alt OS for games based on the classics)
> http://m.webring.com/hub?ring=masonicgrandlodg ( masonic grand
> lodges )

If this computer is a Sony Vaio, check support for a fix.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9bbb9e60-e4f3-436d-a5a7-da0e5431e5c1&DisplayLang=en

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com