wordpad error - cannot load word for windows 6.0 files

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

do i need to have msword installed in order for wordpad to read word 6.0
files ? i thought wordpad could do that anyways ?

--
Woodzy

http://www.rtdos.com (alt OS for games based on the classics)
http://m.webring.com/hub?ring=masonicgrandlodg ( masonic grand lodges )
8 answers Last reply
More about wordpad error load word windows files
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 12:09:27 -0600, *ProteanThread* <rtdos@rtdos.com>
    wrote:

    >do i need to have msword installed in order for wordpad to read word 6.0
    >files ? i thought wordpad could do that anyways ?

    You do not need Word installed in order for WordPad to be able to read
    Word 6.0 files.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    CS wrote:
    > On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 12:09:27 -0600, *ProteanThread* <rtdos@rtdos.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>do i need to have msword installed in order for wordpad to read word 6.0
    >>files ? i thought wordpad could do that anyways ?
    >

    > You do not need Word installed in order for WordPad to be able to read
    > Word 6.0 files.

    but why would i be getting this error ?

    --
    Woodzy

    http://www.rtdos.com (alt OS for games based on the classics)
    http://m.webring.com/hub?ring=masonicgrandlodg ( masonic grand lodges )

    Here's an article about the error:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=870883
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 12:23:42 -0600, *ProteanThread* <rtdos@rtdos.com>
    wrote:

    >CS wrote:
    >> On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 12:09:27 -0600, *ProteanThread* <rtdos@rtdos.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>do i need to have msword installed in order for wordpad to read word 6.0
    >>>files ? i thought wordpad could do that anyways ?
    >>

    >> You do not need Word installed in order for WordPad to be able to read
    >> Word 6.0 files.
    >

    >but why would i be getting this error ?

    Make sure WordPad is the default for opening *.DOC and *.RTF. Open
    My Computer, Tools, Folder Options, File Types. Scroll on down to
    *.DOC and *.RTF in turn. Make sure WordPad is shown in the
    application to open option. If it isn't, change it to WordPad.
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    "CS" wrote:

    > On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 12:23:42 -0600, *ProteanThread* <rtdos@rtdos.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >CS wrote:

    > >> You do not need Word installed in order for WordPad to be able to read
    > >> Word 6.0 files.
    > >

    > >but why would i be getting this error ?
    >
    > Make sure WordPad is the default for opening *.DOC and *.RTF. Open
    > My Computer, Tools, Folder Options, File Types. Scroll on down to
    > *.DOC and *.RTF in turn. Make sure WordPad is shown in the
    > application to open option. If it isn't, change it to WordPad.
    > I had the same problem after installing SP2, the only way I could open word 6.0 files was with MS Works, Word Processor and then file them with Rich Text Word.
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    I remember MS Office site used to have a Word Reader free download... might
    try your luck there.
    Michael
    "jimy" <jimy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > "CS" wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 12:23:42 -0600, *ProteanThread* <rtdos@rtdos.com>
    >> wrote:

    >> >but why would i be getting this error ?
    >>
    >> Make sure WordPad is the default for opening *.DOC and *.RTF. Open
    >> My Computer, Tools, Folder Options, File Types. Scroll on down to
    >> *.DOC and *.RTF in turn. Make sure WordPad is shown in the
    >> application to open option. If it isn't, change it to WordPad.
    >> I had the same problem after installing SP2, the only way I could open
    >> word 6.0 files was with MS Works, Word Processor and then file them with
    >> Rich Text Word.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    "*ProteanThread*" <rtdos@rtdos.com> wrote in message
    > CS wrote:
    >> On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 12:09:27 -0600, *ProteanThread* <rtdos@rtdos.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>do i need to have msword installed in order for wordpad to read word
    >>>6.0 files ? i thought wordpad could do that anyways ?
    >>

    >> You do not need Word installed in order for WordPad to be able to
    >> read
    >> Word 6.0 files.
    >

    > but why would i be getting this error ?
    >

    > --
    > Woodzy
    >
    > http://www.rtdos.com (alt OS for games based on the classics)
    > http://m.webring.com/hub?ring=masonicgrandlodg ( masonic grand
    > lodges )

    If this computer is a Sony Vaio, check support for a fix.

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9bbb9e60-e4f3-436d-a5a7-da0e5431e5c1&DisplayLang=en

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    "Michael" <afn18721@afn.org> wrote in message
    >I remember MS Office site used to have a Word Reader free download... might
    >try your luck there.
    > Michael
    > "jimy" <jimy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>

    >> "CS" wrote:

    >>> Make sure WordPad is the default for opening *.DOC and *.RTF. Open
    >>> My Computer, Tools, Folder Options, File Types. Scroll on down to
    >>> *.DOC and *.RTF in turn. Make sure WordPad is shown in the
    >>> application to open option. If it isn't, change it to WordPad.
    >>> I had the same problem after installing SP2, the only way I could open
    >>> word 6.0 files was with MS Works, Word Processor and then file them with
    >>> Rich Text Word.

Support Games Microsoft Windows XP