Modem prevents system entering standby or hibernation

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
Ok puzzle me this!!

You cannot remove the device driver or the physical modem however some piece of software in the computer either XP or third party causes the modem to remain active.

System is currently working on a wireless connection through a residential gateway.

System originally worked off the modem and all antivirus software (McAfee) and semantic products Ghost as examples all were originally set-up through the integrated Dial-up Modem.

System started displaying the error message cannot enter standby because modem Conextant D110 V92 modem preventing hibernation or standby mode please update the hardware driver.

The driver was updated from version 1.0.3 to 1.0.8 for example and this did not correct the hibernation problem.

System currently uses wireless and the Modem will not be used again however turning it off in BIOS or in software does not FIX the problem and its not a solution either.

If anyone has any ideas you get a big slap on the ass for effort given.

P.S this is a notebook system. All power management settings were looked at and set to never and never for hibernation and standby however this is not a fix just a work around.

I am looking for a FIX... Dazzle me guys I know you can do it.

woshitudou

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
Go into the BIOS and disable the onboard modem. If you can't disable it there then check your power features in the bios and see if you can disable the ability for the modem or its irq to wake the computer from sleep and such.

If you can't disable it in the bios (notebook bios' are limited) look under modems in the device manager and right click/disable the modem. If you've tried that and it doesn't work then check what is in the add/remove programs for your modem, try removing that. Check if you have any modem or call waiting etc.. services to disabled. I'd also load up task manager and end all the extra processes that could be modem software and see if that lets it sleep.