Sonata II / Side Panel Case Fan

Storm1234

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
I was wondering if i could mount a fan on the Sonata II on the side panel window some how.

Id like to put a 120mm fan on the side panel without messing up or damaging the panel, and having the ability to take it off without any damages or scratches.

Thanks for any suggestions or ideas. Storm

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
I don't understand how you plan to put a fan on the side panel without damaging it, you'll have to cut a hole for it so you'll damage it right there.

Storm1234

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Quite slow indeed, better late then never lol.

I finally got around to calling Antec for a spare side panel and I think they are gonna and I also don't think there gonna charge me anything.

Just for anyone else that might want a spare side panel to do whatever with doesn't hurt to ask the manufacturer.

Second thing is when I receive my side panel, I plan on putting a 120mm hole on it. So my question is I have 2 ways I can do this, both ways I have to buy tools so that doesn't matter, I need to invest some money in tools anyway.

1) Should I get a electric screw driver and get this
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=204994-28303-34072-72A&lpage=none
Actually just noticed its used with a Hole Saw not electric screw driver is that correct?

Or 2) Should I get a dremel and cut it out with that.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions. Storm~

AllyBoy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
Doing a hole that big in a piece of sheet metal with a hole saw without proper metal working shop equipment would be almost guaranteed to either cause you injury or result in a crumpled sheet of metal. The classical tool for this task would be a bandsaw (got any friends into metal working?) or, more slowly, a scroll saw. To do manually, I'd probably try to drill a half-inch hole in the cutout area and us a hacksaw blade - get one of those holders that just holds the blade from one end. You should be able to cut a circle that small, and the operation will be quite safe. If you *MUST* use a power tool, a sabre saw with a metal-cutting blade should do the trick, but clamp the side cover very securely in multiple places before you start so that when the saw grabs an edge it can't become a flying knife.

Good luck.

AllyBoy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
I should have mentioned the nibbler - with a nibbler, a set of vice grips, and a swill army knife there's not much that can't be done. :wink:

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Your best bet is to cover the panel with tape. draw your pattern. Buy your self a saber saw with a scroll head, and a metal blade for it. You will need to drill a 1/2 dia hole or so for the saber saw to get started with. Take it slow and easy, allow the blade to cut.

With all of the ducting and layout of the Sonata II, the fan will have to be on the outside of the case with a grill.

Good luck.

Storm1234

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
I don't have that big duct in my sonata 2, its useless doesn't fit anyway with my HSF.

So the fan should be fine inside without the duct right...

Thanks all for the help.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
It's internal though... Not really helping cool, just stir and muck around.
F-- to your post.
-cm

it does on mine. and better than a side fan. the side fan mucks with flow.
all air is giong from front to back.

and what the hell have you been smokin tonight? 8O

Storm1234

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
I'm so lost....

My question was where did he get that the sonata II can hold 4 fans.

I count 3

1 in back
1 in front / side of hds
1 on HSF

Thanks Storm~

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
I'm so lost....

My question was where did he get that the sonata II can hold 4 fans.

I count 3

1 in back
1 in front / side of hds
1 on HSF

Thanks Storm~

i have 2 120mm fans in mine and cant really think of anymore mounts.
i would have to open it up and look.

the kids are on it now and im on my coolermaster computer now.

i dont see were you would need more than 2 120mm fans anyway.
i dont really need the extra fan in mine as it seems to cool great.

Storm1234

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Either to lower my CPU temps or make my case quieter or both. I figure if I can lower CPU temp a little, I can turn down my other fans.

2 Antec TriCool fans on high
1 Zalman 9500 HSF cooler on max

CPU is usually 46C idle 55C+ if I'm doing so/so intense stuff.

Storm

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
Either to lower my CPU temps or make my case quieter or both. I figure if I can lower CPU temp a little, I can turn down my other fans.

2 Antec TriCool fans on high
1 Zalman 9500 HSF cooler on max

CPU is usually 46C idle 55C+ if I'm doing so/so intense stuff.

Storm

you must have an intel.

i have a s939 amd 3700 oc,ed with stockcooler and a 68gt oc,ed, with two hdd,s and the sonataII is super quite.

cpu idles at 29c and loads at 35 to 37c.

Storm1234

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
What do you mean?

"how is the zalman hsf set-up?
with the fan blowing down towards the mobo? or blowing towards the back of the case?"

It's sorta doing both of those... But I'm not sure if I understood the question..