I like my Core 2 Duo but this heat just sucks...

sluzbenik

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
I cleaned the heat sink and processor surfaces tonight with 90% rubbing alcohol and reapplied Arctic Silver according to the website method for large core chips (a little dab in the middle.)

Here's the result. I heard all four clicks as I mounted the heatsink. I mounted them diagonally per my motherboard's instructions. I should get my Arctic Freezer 7 Pro tomorrow, if that doesn't help matters, this processor is going back to Intel with this screenshot (I'll toss in CPUZ to show it is at stock too.)

intelsucksgi4.jpg

arrowman

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
I gave up trying to use any utils until newer ones come out..
Speed fan was claiming 47C Idle, 59CLoad.
Coretemp was reporting 43 Idle, 52 Load.
Bios was reporting 31C.
Every other util reported something different...
Lowest reading were 19C (Below my average room/case temp?)
Highest reported 74C ????

I don't believe any of them, mainly because my IR thermometer reported the HSF area no higher than 33C at idle and 39C after hours 100% load running 25% OC and both core at 100% from optimized SETI apps.
Also, even under extended loads, the fan never peaked above 1200RPM, and it turns 1800 under full input.

ETA: Forgot to mention my cooling solution... Using an Arctic Freezer 7. A big mofo, no doubt, but I love'em..

sluzbenik

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
I haven't on mine unfortunately! Everest=CPUCore=Asus tools.

The digital diode on the chip itself would have to be FUBAR for it to throttle as it did.

I think the heat sink just isn't making contact, even though it looks like it is and doesn't budge.

Could be the chip casing (mine is convex it seems), could be the heat sink.

shinji3c

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
Dude, you are not alone.
My e6600 idles around 40C during the day and 35C during cooler times of the days.
Edit: I ran that same test you ran, mine never exceeded 52C. I'm wondering if you spreaded the AS5? I thought AS5 had to cover about 90% at least to work? I may be wrong but if you just dab in the middle and put the HSF, it may be possible that AS5 didn't spread enough.

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
The temperatures do not seem abnormal.
I see no reason to return the processor.
8O
My Prescott didn’t run that hot.
If the reporting software is correct there is most definitely an issue with heat.
For the X6800 the maximum Tc @75watts is 60.4C
Any 65nm cpu running above 65C is out of specs.

randomizer

Champion
Why dont you just touch the cpu heatsink under load (with caution obviously). If its fairly cool then you know ur cpu is not at 70C and you should be fine. If you find that after having your hand on there for a few secs that you feel a strange burning sensation and you skin is peeling then you have a problem.

orsino

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
I don't know about Antarctica, but my Prescooker 3.6 keeps my house nice and warm in more temperate climes. I idle at 51C and have seen 92C on SpeedFan and 111C on the BIOS under load. And if you think that those temps are wrong, I've melted a small piece of plastic bag on the side of the HSF as a test!

orsino

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
this processor is going back to Intel with this screenshot (I'll toss in CPUZ to show it is at stock too.)

That might not help. I got into an hour long phone slinging match with the Intel Regional Manager. They insist that it's all the consumer's fault for not using a special Intel-approved case that they have written in 4 point type somewhere on their website is obligatory with their CPUs. I don't know about this special Intel case, but I think it might be this:

http://www.usicemachinemfg.com/

:lol:

sluzbenik

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Well, the heatsink is none too hot, even at full load. I mean it's like barely warm to the touch.

By the way the max temp I reached in that test was 83c. You can't see it anymore (my bandwidth was exceeded) but it started thermal throttling.

Today when I get the new heatsink I will be able to determine whether it was the Intel heatsink or, and this is what I have a bad feeling is the case, the heat shield on the chip itself, is not making contact with the die itself the way it should be. So the heat is just not getting to the heat sink.

Even if the temperatures are "off" the fact is the processor will start throttling at 83c, even if the REAL temperature is 62c. So if Intel's diode is wrong, then you are losing performance because of the unneccessary throttling. That is a major product fault. But I doubt that is the case.

I think it's a) the heatsink or b) the heat spreader on the processor itself.

As for Intel my P180 is on their list of "thermally approved" cases!

And for anyone who cares, last week I tried the "thin layer of Arctic Silver" method. I think the Arctic Sivler instructions are kind of confusing, but it definitely says for large cores, you should just put a dot of paste on the processor and mount the heatsink. So I tried that. Last week my temps were idle 48-50c, now it's 55c. But maybe once the Arctic Silver cures they will drop back to 50c idle.

BTW, what the heck is the max RPM for the Intel stock fan supposed to be? anyone know?

will14

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
I'd spread it like it says.
I don't think the conroe is a large core.
Given I don't have one to look at =P
Funny because my friends comp was reporting 20-30C cooler than his processor and he's fried 2 of the mobo and a processor before he read that it was a mobo flaw if you didn't have the newest bios.
He bought pentium D's though.
Good thing they're the price of a snickers since conroes release.

Artmic

Distinguished
May 27, 2002
I haven't on mine unfortunately! Everest=CPUCore=Asus tools.

The digital diode on the chip itself would have to be FUBAR for it to throttle as it did.

I think the heat sink just isn't making contact, even though it looks like it is and doesn't budge.

Could be the chip casing (mine is convex it seems), could be the heat sink.

My x6800 with an TR SI-128 running Orthos: Blend - Stress CPU and RAM
gets the following temp readings:

Under Load:
Everest Temp readings: Core1: 54c Core2: 54c
Intel TAT: Core1: 54c Core2: 54c

At idle:
Everest Temp readings: Core1: 36c Core2: 36c
Intel TAT: Core1: 37 Core2: 37c

Does anyone know what the norm should be with stock cooler?

Artmic

Distinguished
May 27, 2002
Hmmm i was just thinking what the temp is for stock cooler, vs this Si-128 cooler.
Did it even make a big difference? or did i buy a cooler which i didn't even need since it didn't do squat. lol

orsino

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Sluzbenic, I've run the stock Intel HSF, a Spire CoolWave and now I'm on a Zalman 7700. Temps have rarely varied. The Zalman set at max revs brings it down a degree or two from the Intel and Spire. That's it. I have the thin Arctic Silver and this latest bit has been on for about 500 hours. No diff. And even when my BIOS was reading 111C I've never seen it throttle down. I don't know if I have the Prescott Satan Edition or what, but all I know is that I can start a steel foundry in my case. And that is even after I modded the living daylights out of my side door and fit in a 12 INCH, (Yes, Virginia, not 12 cm but 12 INCH) AC household fan blowing in at MAX 24/7. I think that the only place the Prescott is designed to work properly is at 0 Kelvin in outer space. :roll:

KBM

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
The temperatures that you see are from the thermal diode on the
cpu's core. These temps are always about 10 deg. more than the
heat sink / mobo temp. If you touch the processor heatsink and
if it is just warm you are perfectly fine. I think this "on core" thermal
diode was introduced new in core 2 duo. So, when you compare that
to the previous processors, where the temp reading are taken outside
of the core, obviously, you will get confused. In my case, speed fan
reports 2 temps. Core and Remote. Core temp is always about 5-10 deg.
more than Remote.

lcandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Fact is Intel continues to use the crappiest fan/heatsink on the market. Its a joke. I ran mine up to 76c before I realized it wasnt mounted properly.

For once I agree, as its what happened to me lol. The whole socket mounting and HSF is pants. I never had these issues when building AMD's. Fortunately, my idle temps of 25C and under take the pain away. :D :p

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
I still wonder how exact people think the sensor are. And because of that, most people get confused in why their readings are higher or lower then others. Not to mention perhaps maybe the quality of HSF they are using, and room temp need to be accounted for.

I guess people need to understand, is the method to determine temps. But the main thing is, there isn't a standard for it. So its really hard to determine what method is really considered accurate.

So other MB may report at the most, I've seen, up to 14C difference on the same processor, using the stock HSF.

I believe only OC'ers should really be the only ones to really be concerned with high temps, since they are raising wattage or their standard TDP.

But then, when your running stock speeds and seeing the health monitor say, 70C for a E6xxx CPU, that should tell you there is something wrong with the HSF installation, or poor air flow.

I think some common sense needs to be used, rather then WTH, how did you get the temps that low, or that's way too hot. Heh, how exact does it need to be?

sluzbenik

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
HALLELUJAH!

I just installed my Arctic Freezer 7 and my idle is now 34. I am benching it right now with Everest. After 10 minutes it is not budging above 44c. This heatsink also lowered my mobo temperatures! Way to go Arctic! Right now with full load my mobo is 35, before at idle it was 37c!

Now I can do some god darned overclocking! 3.0ghz here I come!

Thank god it wasn't the processor casing itself. Just Intel's incredibly useless heat sink.

I believe the core temps are accurate. If you guys reread my messages, the chip THROTTLED. Throttling happens if the CPU itself detects the internal temperatures are going to cause damage (85c).

I am as happy as a little girl! (said with Dieter voice from 90's Saturday Night Live.) Toucha mein Arctic 7! Touch him! Love him!

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
I've read good things about that cooler. Glad it worked out for ya. That was acutally the one I kept recommending for price/performance ratio, in other posts.

Edit:

Say... would you say with that HSF installaton, was it:

Easier
Same
Harder

Or was there anything different in installing it vs stock?

sluzbenik

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
About the same...It has the same clips.

Oddly enough it is lighter than the the stock fan, which also made maneuvering it easier. One of the fan side clips could be in an awkward position to lock into place for some people as it is right under the fan and close to the cpu fan plug...

The copper on the thing didn't look polished at all, the copper in the sink and heat pipes looks like it was machined by monkeys, so looking at I was like, oh crap, that's $25 down the drain. Looks can be deceiving. With lapping I'm sure I could get another one or two degrees.